Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2022, 12:41 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #26284
There is a new 4k inverter being delivered today and while deciding on where just to put it I removed the back of the under sink storage space and realized there was a lot of room behind the back panel as well as the floor. So I finally figured out how to remove the drawer slides and the key is the little black tab goes up on one side and down on the other and the slides allow the drawer to come out.

Wow I surprised by how much space was behind everything since the factory did not do a very good use of the space so I am opening up the space under the sink and moving the drain line back against the wall as well as the heat duct and wires and can also make all of the drawers 3-4" deeper.

So there is more space there to increase storage for those able to do the modifications. I also found a replaceable fuse on the floor for the power switch that should be in an accessible location not hidden and out of the way without removing stuff. I will be busy today working on the remodel of the small storage space and consolidating the mechanical to optimize the space.

Ed

Old 03-25-2022, 12:45 PM   #22

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
What is your battery bank going to consist of?
Old 03-25-2022, 01:33 PM   #23

THOR #26284
I now have two deep cycle batteries that replace the single one that was going bad and they are in the space under the steps.

Ed
Old 03-25-2022, 06:42 PM   #24

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Tennessee
THOR #25865
We have a 2022 Thor Four Winds 31W with a 1800 watt inverter which runs our residential refrigerator and 3 tv's. If we want to run the microwave or a coffee pot we start the generator for a short time. Other than AC units everything else is 12 volt.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:21 PM   #25

Model: Tuscany 42GX
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
What is your battery bank going to consist of?
Thanks for the reply, any plans to add a couple more?
Old 03-26-2022, 01:38 PM   #26

THOR #26284
We are going to be heading out Thursday for about two weeks so I want to finish up what I started before leaving. I did get under the vehicle yesterday to look just where I can come up with the wires to the inverter and just look things over again. I might be able to add some more batteries but it is getting cold here again in central PA and unless I move the motor home down to my garage entrance I have to get on the grass and it is cold and damp.

I think I will contemplate my improvements and do them in steps instead of attempting a huge project al at once. I have a nicely equipped fab shop that I have assembled over the years and still do so small jobs for racing friends. It could almost be a near full time job but I don't need any work and need a break, plus racing will be starting in two months and I will be back to doing that.

The longer I have this unit and keep looking at it I am amazed at, in my opinion, what I call poor workmanship just about every where I look. I understand the need to be able to build it quickly but poor planning and then workmanship starts to add up. I am glad I have the time, money and experience to do the work that I feel could have been done correctly.

So far the Ford chassis seems to be good, but we had an error code on the way home from Indy last fall and after getting a code reader that could reset them, found out the O2 sensors were bad. What fun that was and I had to buy some more specialty tool to get at the one and dam if the wire hadn't fell onto the drive shaft and started to wear thorough.

I need to hopefully finish up the work and tidy up since it will be getting colder than I want to be working outside. At least I have that option at this point in my life.

Ed
Old 03-26-2022, 06:40 PM   #27

Model: Windsport 32R
State: New York
THOR #375
Great explanation. Well said.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:13 PM   #28

Model: 2020 4 Winds 31Y
State: Texas
THOR #20784
We have a 4 winds 31y with 8 AGM batteries, 3000 W inverter and about 1700W of solar. We start a 7 day trip Thursday where i will test the capabilities.

Welcome aboard.
Rving for 50 years
Fullabunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:51 AM   #29

THOR #26284
1700 watts of solar? How many panels and what brand and where did you get them? How many watts per panel?

Ed
Old 03-27-2022, 01:24 PM   #30

THOR #20784
Actually I misspoke, i have about 1520 W of solar. I have 8 panels at 190W each. I got at Amazon. Sold under HQST brand. I ordered a couple panels at a time and over half arrived boxed as Renogy. All works fine
Old 03-27-2022, 02:00 PM   #31

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullabunk View Post
We have a 4 winds 31y with 8 AGM batteries, 3000 W inverter and about 1700W of solar. We start a 7 day trip Thursday where i will test the capabilities.

Welcome aboard.
You da man. How old are your 8 AGMs and why did you not buy Lithium assuming it was a option?

To OP

As I read your posts and what has been suggested, few things not 100% clear?

You want to run what off your batteries? Is AC off the table? Do you need to run a fridge and if so, what type do you have? Microwave Coffee pot etc.

What deep cycle batteries do you have, what are their ah ratings capacity etc.?

What is make model of your 4k Inverter?

Do you intend to wire devices directly to Inverter or have automation so it switches to shore or generator power when they might be available?

Just so you know, I have a 1,000 watt inverter. Magnum Energy. Works great. But if it ever failed Magnum & Winnebago has assured m I can upgrade to the Magnum Energy 2000 watt model as simple plug and play. I don't need, but if I had I guess I could run Microwave, but may need to rewire for that or find a receptacle for it on the Inverter circuit?

Basically with 1000watts I can run everything except our AC and Microwave. There are a handful of receptacle outlets not on my Inverter circuit. We don't drink coffee in RV or traveling; although we do have a Keurig in the house.

I live in Texas and I can't afford a battery system that can run my 2 ACs during the summer. I use my generator a 5500 if I need air when no shorepower is available.

I am gonna add, we use propane for the Fridge if no shorepower, but I did rewire my fridge to run off the inverter, but we only use it when we are driving the RV as the alternator is recharging the batteries.

I have 2 SLR AGMs at 125 ah each; I can go 2 days off my batteries the way we use today.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 02:33 PM   #32

THOR #20784
My AGMs are about 6 months old. I like lithium, but still to expensive.
Rving for 50 years
Fullabunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 03:48 PM   #33

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullabunk View Post
My AGMs are about 6 months old. I like lithium, but still to expensive.
Agreed, they also come with some maintenance or precautions around the weather and that is not something I care given the amount of money. My AGMs are about 1 year old, I suspect when they go 6 years or so, Lithium will be a better and more practical options.

If I had your setup (8 AGMs), I could go a week off the batteries with my simple 1000 watt inverter, but we never boondock like that.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 05:41 PM   #34

Model: Tuscany 42GX
THOR #9178
I looked at Lithium when replacing the 4 house batteries.

There simply isn't a payback for the higher price and aggravation of the changes needed.

Maybe when they drop a couple hundred per battery then maybe it would pencil out.

Given the lack of minerals and elements needed for the huge battery factory explosion maybe some huge deposits will be discovered and mined.

Either that or batteries will go up in price not down.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:39 AM   #35

State: Colorado
THOR #18672
Okay on the inverter questions. Look into victron energy inverter and charger.
Lithium batteries are a must if weight is going to be a issue.
Solar will become a large part of charging.

Running a/c will take 12-1500w of solar just to keep the batteries close.

I run 1250w and can get about 3-5 hrs before draining low. I’m in Canada and don’t get full sun. Angle is a problem.

I run a 3000w inverter with a easy start on a 15 k a/c. Starts no problem but it pulls 11-1400 w while running.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:34 AM   #36

Model: ACE
State: Arizona
THOR #15278
Welcome! I hope you find this site as useful as we have!
Old 04-01-2022, 08:16 AM   #37

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
I've happily used our setup of 2x100 solar panels, 2x110ah batteries and a 1000w inverter for the last 3 years. I power the TV, charge phones and laptop and, when the wife uses her hairdryer, I just start the engine or genny. All this and we live in Ireland where, let's face it, there ain't much sun.... ����

Tags
inverter