Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2016, 11:59 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #5408
New Guy

Hi folks! My name is Clif and I joined the forum to gain knowledge and insight on RV'ing as well as the different models Thor Motor Coach produces. I spent 26 years active duty in the Army and went back to work for them as a civilian. It has been 43+ years since I put boots on at age 17. My wife and I are seriously considering retiring in two years, getting an RV and hitting the road. We will be selling the house and moving on so the RV will be our home. We both love to travel and want to take in as much of this country as we can while we can. We think doing it by RV is the way to do it but we have a lot to learn. I understand that most forums tend to dwell on the less than great stuff ( I belong to a couple motorcycle forums) but I feel it is best to see what problems and issues folks encounter and how it is handled by them and others that have had the same problem. You always learn a lot that way and get to see some pretty creative solutions. The RV's we are looking at right now are Class A gas models, the Mirimar, Challenger and the Outlaw Toy Hauler. We are also looking at a couple other brands but we really like what Thor is producing. Any advice, insight and practical knowledge you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Old 09-14-2016, 12:18 AM   #2
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
HI ! Welcome to the Forum ! There are many members who will give you every bit of information you might want !
Thor has a wide range of products. We like our Axis as it is easy to park anywhere and fulfills our needs well.
The forum members who have the RV's you are interested in will be very helpful.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:40 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Welcome to the forums. This has been a GREAT place for a newbie like me to gain knowledge and maybe skip some of the less pleasurable learning experiences. So far, we love our VEGAS, (which probably wouldn't be large enough for your needs) and THOR and our dealer have been excellent. Be sure and keep us up to date on your experiences and adventures.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:27 AM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Welcome aboard. My wife and I like our Challenger very much but it was more of a floorplan and price decision than a brand choice. If Tiffin, Newmar or Dynamax offered the same floorplan at the same price point as Thor, I might not be on this forum. Once you get comfortable with your purchase and learn the ins and outs of your unit, you will start to appreciate the brand more. For me, the great experience with Thor customer service has made me appreciate them more. The dealer where I bought the unit, not so much. I'd hate to say that we "settled" but that is somewhat the case. Over the past 35 years, I have owned about a dozen RV's from pop ups to motorhomes and the best thing I did was learned how to service and fix them myself. Eventually the warranty runs out and you'll be on your own. Forums like this one are a great place to get help.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:34 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your service!

You will soon learn, if you haven't already, that with RVs it is different strokes for different folks. I agree with MO_MIKE that most folks will find Vegas too small for a full time RV. Still, you will find folks that do just that.

Concentrate on finding a good used Class A gas for your first. And remember the agenda that every RV salesperson has,they all make their money from making sales (even if they are not on commission).

There are some great full-timer blogs you can learn a lot from. The homework you are doing will pay you back handsomely. It always does!
Old 09-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #6

THOR #5408
Thank you all very much! I am taking it all in and getting a great education.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the service to our nation.

As you embark on the decision making process one thing to keep in mind is that your needs, wants and desires may change over time. What you consider to be the ideal RV now may not be the ideal RV a couple of years from now.

For example, when we bought our Challenger 37ND, which we love, it was my wife and myself travelling. Now my wife's thinking has changed to within the next two or three years we may need to look for a bunk house so our grandson can travel with us.

As far as the models you are looking at we checked them all for over a year before we bought the Challenger. For us the Miramar and Outlaw had items for which we would not settle and the Challenger met our requirements. After the purchase we had an issue during the shakedown cruise and Thor stepped up to the plate and reimbursed us for a mobile tech to fix the issue. It did take two calls to Thor with me hanging up on the first individual so I could call back and speak to someone with more than 1/4 of a functioning brain.

Again, welcome to the forum and takes for the service.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:52 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 35SK Super C
State: Missouri
THOR #711
Hello Clif and welcome to the forum! Lots of great information here from very knowledgeable folks. Enjoy the ride!
Old 09-15-2016, 02:05 AM   #9

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Welcome Clif. We purchased our first RV (Montana 5th wheel), sold everything, and immediately started traveling full time several years ago. We loved every minute of it and explored 26 states. Before we could complete our desire to see every state we landed on a deal for a home in Florida we couldn't pass up. Now we are only traveling a few months out of the year.

The MOC (Montana's Owner Forum) was where I got tons of advise, not only about my rig but about RVing and full timing in general. We recently switched to our first Thor MH and I have found the folks on this forum just as knowledgeable and helpful.

Good luck in your decision and adventures!
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #10

THOR #5408
I want to thank everyone for the welcome and information! I am learning a lot just reading all the different posts!