Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #10107
Issues with generator

Hello, I'm new at this and would like some help solving a problem with my RV. I'm plugged in to shore power, but can't start my generator without turning my engine. I don't know if this is the way that it is suppose to happen? Can someone give me some feedback, thanks.

Old 08-15-2020, 01:49 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
You need to check your house batteries. Sounds like they are dead since you can only start the generator while the engine is running. The engine alternator supplies power to the house batteries while it is running to help keep them charged up. Depending on what model mh you have is where those house batteries will be located. On most Class C motor homes they are located under the steps as you walk into the motor home.

Paul
Old 08-15-2020, 03:56 PM   #3

THOR #10107
issues with Generator

Thanks Paul, the house batteries are brand new from Auto Zone. I suspect either the converter or the 30amp outside shore power cable used to obtain power. Is there a way to check cable first.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
There is also a breaker for the house batteries that might have tripped when you replaced the house batteries. It should be in the same area near the batteries. It will have either a red or yellow flag showing if it tripped cutting off the house batteries. I have no experience in checking the 30 amp shore line. Your generator should fire up without having to have the vehicle engine turned on using the house batteries.

Paul
Old 08-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Have you had the charger turned on?

Check the voltage on the pedestal and at your transfer switch with a good VOM
Old 08-15-2020, 05:34 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by loadmstr85 View Post
Hello, I'm new at this and would like some help solving a problem with my RV. I'm plugged in to shore power, but can't start my generator without turning my engine. I don't know if this is the way that it is suppose to happen? Can someone give me some feedback, thanks.
You're the third poster in a month with the same issue.

The house batteries start the generator through a 100 amp DC breaker near the batteries as described by Paul. There is also a 50 Amp DC breaker that connects the house batteries through the battery disconnect (USE/STORE switch) to the DC buss and converter.

If the 100 amp breaker is tripped (or the cable to that breaker was not reconnected when the batteries were replaced) then the only way to get 12 VDC to the generator is from the engine alternator through the BIRD/BIM.

That's as specific as we can get without knowing the year, make & model of your coach.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #7

THOR #10107
I have a 2017 Thor ACE model with 27.2 floor plan.