Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2022, 12:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 28A
State: Florida
THOR #26191
Newbie! Four Winds 28A

Hey all!!!
BRAND new to this world! Purchased a 2022 Thor Four Winds 28A from a private seller!

Now I’m trying to figure it all out on my own. Any suggestions as far as “make sure you....”

Also anyone know if Thor manufacturers warranty transfers automatically or not at all??

Love this forum! Been stalking for months!!
Happy Trails All!

Old 03-09-2022, 01:22 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. The original one year manufacturer warranty goes with the motorhome. If the other owner had an additional after market warranty you need to read the documents for the warranty to see if it can be transferred. You should go to the Thor's owners website and register the VIN to get the schematics/documents on each item installed(furance. wiring...). Go out on a couple of short two day trips and try out every system. In case something does not work you will be close to home and have it repaired. That way you can learn how everything operates before venturing out on longer trips.

Paul
Old 03-09-2022, 01:26 PM   #3

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
welcome
Old 03-09-2022, 01:46 PM   #4

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Welcome! As Paul says you will have the remainder of one year warranty from the in-service date of the previous owner. Contact Thor Customer Service (877) 855-2867 and let them know you are the new owner. They will let you know when the warranty ends and will transfer you as the new owner. Then you can put you vin in the Thor site and access all manuals for the systems and appliances that were built into your coach.
Happy Motoring!
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 03:08 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRo@d View Post
Hey all!!!
BRAND new to this world! Purchased a 2022 Thor Four Winds 28A from a private seller!

Now I’m trying to figure it all out on my own. Any suggestions as far as “make sure you....”

Also anyone know if Thor manufacturers warranty transfers automatically or not at all??

Love this forum! Been stalking for months!!
Happy Trails All!
If the previous owner purchased the extended warranty, the exterior warranty, and/or the tire warranty, the documents should be with the paperwork you should have received from them.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 03:18 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arkansas
THOR #26173
I think you made a good choice.

The 28A is at the top of my wish list.

Keep us posted on the trials, tribulations and joys of the road.
Old 03-09-2022, 03:23 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arkansas
THOR #26173
Did you get the Chevy or Ford?

Watching RVTrader it seems the Chevy is more available.
Old 03-09-2022, 03:41 PM   #8

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDThor View Post
Did you get the Chevy or Ford?

Watching RVTrader it seems the Chevy is more available.
We got the Chevy version. Interesting to note that as I was watching some of the new videos that THOR has put on their owner's site, the Ford chassis comes with a 7 pin trailer connector whereas the Chevy comes with only a 4 pin. I wonder why that is?

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
Old 03-09-2022, 05:28 PM   #9

THOR #26191
Thanks All

Went with the Chevy. Info shared is so helpful! Thank you and I’m excited to start exploring inside & out.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:53 PM   #10

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum
Old 03-09-2022, 10:03 PM   #11

THOR #21941
Quote:
Went with the Chevy. Info shared is so helpful! Thank you and I’m excited to start exploring inside & out.
When we got ours, it needed an alignment. It pulled a little to the right, but most of all I could feel everything that passed me from big trucks to small sedans.
I had them adjust the caster to +5°. When I got it done, they told me that it was set at -2°! What a difference it made. Took care of 50-60% of the problem. I then added a Roadmaster front anti-sway bar. that took away another 10-20%. It is such a joy to drive!

Old 03-09-2022, 11:18 PM   #12

THOR #26191
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
When we got ours, it needed an alignment. It pulled a little to the right, but most of all I could feel everything that passed me from big trucks to small sedans.
I had them adjust the caster to +5°. When I got it done, they told me that it was set at -2°! What a difference it made. Took care of 50-60% of the problem. I then added a Roadmaster front anti-sway bar. that took away another 10-20%. It is such a joy to drive!
This is super helpful. I have heard people talk about the alignment not being adjusted at factory. I have SO much to learn.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:23 PM   #13

THOR #21941
Quote:
This is super helpful. I have heard people talk about the alignment not being adjusted at factory. I have SO much to learn.
THOR doesn't take ownership of the box they put on the chassis. The chassis is aligned when it leaves Ford/Chevy. Obviously, the handling characteristics change dramatically when you put that much stuff on it. It's amazing that a class action suit hasn't been filed against the motorhome manufacturers for not doing an alignment when the build is done.

I actually got Chevy to pay for it, but it was painful!

Old 03-10-2022, 05:55 PM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My Thor came with a sticker on the dashboard saying it needed to be aligned after loading for travel. I took it to a trusted truck suspension place. Mine did not require any adjustment. It’s a little bit ridiculous but at least then you know. And you might as well get used to it - owning a motor home is expensive!
Old 03-10-2022, 06:13 PM   #15

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
My Thor came with a sticker on the dashboard saying it needed to be aligned after loading for travel. I took it to a trusted truck suspension place. Mine did not require any adjustment. It’s a little bit ridiculous but at least then you know. And you might as well get used to it - owning a motor home is expensive!
IMHO, I don't think that 1,000 - 2,000 pounds of gear and water is going to change the handling characteristics as much as putting 5,000# box on the chassis. Alignment should be done when the build is complete and before it goes to its destination.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:35 PM   #16

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Hi waynetaylor55
On my first coach which was a Class B Winnebago, I did not know about having the sprinter front end aligned after I loaded it and it coast me $750 for two new tires and an alignment. I had only put less than 3000 miles on it when I noticed the two front tires had developed very bad worn areas. I then went to Mercedes Benz and was told it was not a warranty item and to check with Winnebago. I called my dealership and talked to the service manager. He told me that I was responsible since it was clearly stated in the owners manual from Winnebago to get it re-aligned once I loaded it. I then called Winnebago and was told that it was in my owner's manual to get it re-aligned and it was not covered under my one year factory warranty. It came aligned from Mercedes one way(no weight box) and Winnebago added everything else. Even my salesman was unaware of the issue to have it re-aligned after I loaded it. When I bought my 2018 Thor brand new, I loaded it and had it re-aligned to avoid any front tire wear issues. It does matter once you load it the first time to be sure you don't have the same issue with premature tire wear like I had on that Winnebago.

Paul
Old 03-11-2022, 12:20 AM   #17

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Hi waynetaylor55
On my first coach which was a Class B Winnebago, I did not know about having the sprinter front end aligned after I loaded it and it coast me $750 for two new tires and an alignment. I had only put less than 3000 miles on it when I noticed the two front tires had developed very bad worn areas. I then went to Mercedes Benz and was told it was not a warranty item and to check with Winnebago. I called my dealership and talked to the service manager. He told me that I was responsible since it was clearly stated in the owners manual from Winnebago to get it re-aligned once I loaded it. I then called Winnebago and was told that it was in my owner's manual to get it re-aligned and it was not covered under my one year factory warranty. It came aligned from Mercedes one way(no weight box) and Winnebago added everything else. Even my salesman was unaware of the issue to have it re-aligned after I loaded it. When I bought my 2018 Thor brand new, I loaded it and had it re-aligned to avoid any front tire wear issues. It does matter once you load it the first time to be sure you don't have the same issue with premature tire wear like I had on that Winnebago.

Paul
Admittedly, I do not have a great deal of experience in this matter, it just seems to me that the percentage of weight between loaded and unloaded is not anywhere as great as from chassis to completely built. After the manufacturer adds on all of their stuff regardless of what class, that manufacturer should do an alignment as the last step before leaving the plant.

Just my thought.

Old 03-11-2022, 03:11 AM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Welcome to the forum. The original one year manufacturer warranty goes with the motorhome. If the other owner had an additional after market warranty you need to read the documents for the warranty to see if it can be transferred. You should go to the Thor's owners website and register the VIN to get the schematics/documents on each item installed(furance. wiring...). Go out on a couple of short two day trips and try out every system. In case something does not work you will be close to home and have it repaired. That way you can learn how everything operates before venturing out on longer trips.

Paul
When did Thor’s warranty become transferable to a second owner?