Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2017, 05:07 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TR
State: South Dakota
THOR #8380
Hello World.

I picked up my used (new to me) 2016 Thor Compass 23TR just yesterday (Saturday) and brought it to my apartment.

I've been cleaning like an OCD neat-freak... because, I am one.

I've been making little 'discoveries' as I clean the coach where the previous owners were not very kind with the RV. The amount of grit on the floor, the broken bed slats, the crud that was left in the black water tank, and just general abuse that they incurred in the 10,628 miles that they used it for was quite remarkable.

Thus far I've:
-Installed a Camco Cyclone Plumbing Vent
-Washed the seating cushion covers
-Furniture polished the majority of the coach (bed and bath yet to go)
-Found that the fridge (Norcold) doesn't do anything on LP when the outside temps are 105 F
-Found that the chassis A/C seems much better at cooling the coach than the Dometic.
-Cleaned the basement storage on passenger and back.
cleaned under the jacknife sofa.
-Figured out most of the Jensen system
-Figured out that the slide doesn't move (in or out) with the engine running.
-Found out that it takes about three hours on the generator to cool the coach out with the A/C when it's so hot out.

Any suggestions on the 'hot' fridge? It was about 75 F in the fridge after running the A/C for that long.

Also I need to replace or reattach the saggy sunroof surround - SSS.

Also need to deal with a slitting drawer face, broken bed slats, detached ceiling/wall moulding panel in the bedroom, driver's side.

More to come.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Welcome to the forum.

Slides - they do not operate with the engine running as a safety feature. wouldn't want you to take off down the road with an extended slide.

Fridge, on my prior class c I found that the RV fridge (mine was Dometic) would take considerable time for cooling on electric or LP when we were getting ready for a trip. I bought a small fan and placed it inside the fridge which improved air circulation and we never again had the issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-...frigerator+fan
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
On our refrig, we freeze three half gallons of water and place them in the unit the night before. find that when we leave the next day that the unit is cold enough to place the food in
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #4

THOR #8380
Thank you for the ideas on refrigerator performance. I will be moving my RV to my future docking spot soon and will get things leveled up, fueled up and loaded up for FT living.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #5

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuawray17 View Post
-Found that the fridge (Norcold) doesn't do anything on LP when the outside temps are 105 F

-Found out that it takes about three hours on the generator to cool the coach out with the A/C when it's so hot out.

Any suggestions on the 'hot' fridge? It was about 75 F in the fridge after running the A/C for that long.
Both of these cooling issues perform better when they aren't "playing catch-up".
Get the fridge running the day before filling it. Stand beside the coach and listen for the flame when on LP, make sure it is lighting. I like the fan idea mentioned above.
The coach a/c should be started early to maintain the cool temp from over night. With our 1998 we just sold, the a/c unit wouldn't even start when it was really hot outside.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
A small battery operated fan like one of these helps RV refrigerator cooling a bunch. An Rv fridge doesn't have a circulation fan so to keep air moving it needs a little help. You can get these from Amazon or just about any RV store.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	6033

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	6034
Old 07-25-2017, 01:16 AM   #7

THOR #8380
It turned out that I had a bit of a learning curve to face. I did not leave the coach power ON so the fridge wouldn't run.

It did shut off on me today for no appearant reason. Though I don't remember the LP function kicking back on after I parked it. I do remember having to get it level to ensure it would light, but don't remember it striking up.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:33 AM   #8

Model: Compass 24TX
State: Kentucky
THOR #7036
I have a 2017 Compass 24TX, the refrigerator does not work like at home. I always plug into an electric outlet at home the night before filling the refrigerator to allow it to cool. My Norcold refrigerator, and likely yours, always requires 12 volt power even for propane operation. It should use less electric power when using propane, but still needs it to operate.

https://www.fmca.com/conventions/pol...fficiency.html
Old 07-25-2017, 01:41 AM   #9

Model: Compass 24TX
State: Kentucky
THOR #7036
I purchased this 2 pack of thermometers, and they have worked well for me.

Digital Refrigerator Freezer Room Thermometer, Max/Min Record Function with Large LCD Display (2 Pack of White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KQAN1WM..._VeQDzb2FVMWAY