Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2020, 08:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Connecticut
THOR #18774
New owner about to go cross country

Hi,

I currently live in CT and we are moving to CA in our new Thor 28A next week. My Dad can't fly, so we are going the RV route. I am an RV newbie and have all kinds of questions about rest stops and power, how long the house battery lasts, etc. etc.

Any tips on cross country stops along I-80 would be appreciated - we will be trying to get there pretty quickly in time for our furniture.

Any and all advice welcome!

Siobhan

Old 05-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The Ohio turnpike (its I-80 for a lot of Ohio) service plazas have RV spots.

If you find yourself in Ohio and need an overnight, just pull in. I think there is a small charge to use them but you can plug-in.

Since the RV spots are just a separate parking lot I would imagine that they are still open...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:48 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum!
Set reasonable mileage goals for each day. Take your time, and enjoy what will surely be a trip that you'll want to remember.
If you don't have it: download the "Pilot Flying J" app.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:16 PM   #4

State: Connecticut
THOR #18774
Thanks for the tips. Anyone have any thoughts on the Western States? Seems like I-80 is good up until just past Ohio then parking options with electric drop off significantly. Anyone have any experience out further West, especially with almost everything shut down? Thanks!
Old 05-08-2020, 10:08 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I usually travel I40 from California to Kentucky. Plenty of open KOA Campgrounds along the route. You can download their free app. Membership is cheap and you earn points for every stay to use to off set future stays. The KOA's stores are mostly closed due to this issue we are in at this time so plan on stopping to re-stock at larger cities before stopping for the night. Driving hard takes me just over 3 days in a car with two stops. In our motor home I can't drive it that hard so I usually take my time and 4-5 days. There are also plenty of private R V Campgrounds along the highway.

Paul
Old 05-08-2020, 10:11 PM   #6
Mag

Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
smacdermott

You could take a look at Boondockerswelcome.com for places to stay while travelling. We use it whenever we travel, it's a free place to stay, some with power, wifi, water, etc. You can pick the ones that suite your needs.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #7

Model: Compass 23 TB
THOR #13224
This forum and youtube are your best friends on what you are going to do. First off get if you do not have already AAA or Good Sam or whatever roadside assistance. Your batteries if are in good condition ( have them tested) and if you plan on stopping at campgrounds with plug in you should be good to go. Before you leave make sure you have access to all of the manuals for the different systems in your unit and if not download them or go to the Thor website and get them.
Safe travels and stay safe
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
PS There are a lot of things to figure out but take your time and enjoy the journey
Welcome to the forum
Old 05-08-2020, 11:39 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Grab a State Park Guide at the State Visitors Center of each state where you'll be bedding down for the night. Think you find as a rule State Parks are a good value especially when you will be traveling as fast as you say you will be.

If it is a manned center you can probably get some tips from the staff or they could even make a reservation for you.

Be safe on the road!
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:28 AM   #9
Mag

THOR #16132
roadside assistance

Sounds like a great trip to take. As for roadside assistance, every Ford has a free 5yr, 60,000 mile roadside assistance included with the vehicle purchase. Even the F-53, the E- series chassis used for the Axis/Vegas and any other Ford brand used for motorhomes. The warranty follows the Chassis, not the owner so if you purchase a unit under 5 years old it will have the warranty. Heres a link to Fords site: https://owner.ford.com/service/roadside-assistance.html
Old 05-09-2020, 01:42 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
We use the RV Parky app on our phones when going cross country, Between that and freecampsites.net we have always found a place for the night.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:42 AM   #11

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Don't think you'll have any issues with fuel stops, groceries or RV parks. Most parks/campgrounds are, or will be soon, open with their facilities closed, such as laundry or bathhouses, but parking with full hookups (FHU) available.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #12

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
All the above suggestions seems to have you pretty well ready, so welcome to the forum. Enjoy youe trip.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:43 PM   #13
Mag

THOR #16132
Your Thor that sits on a Ford chassis has a 5 yr 60000 mile roadside assistance included as do all Fords, and it’s free.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:35 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Remember that EVERYTHING in California is more expensive than other parts of the country. Taxes are higher as well as home prices. Have a great cross country road trip and enjoy the sights along the way.

Paul
Old 05-11-2020, 10:36 PM   #15

Model: 35SF
State: Michigan
THOR #18186
We just made a similar trip in opposite from Oregon the Mich.
Used all KOA for safety and ability to put down jacks, use slides and gain electric, water and dump if needed.
All were self registration and 40 to $50 per night for full hook up.
Never saw a person at the parks so contact was not an issue.
All were open and safe.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:50 PM   #16

Model: Thor outlaw 38MB
State: Florida
THOR #18251
Get the iEXIT app For phone or tablet it’s a fantastic tool along the interstate hiway system.it “Follows” you along the interstate telling you what’s at each exit easy to look ahead And use satellite view it will help for fuel stop maneuvering. Have fun don’t push.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:29 PM   #17

Model: Vegas
THOR #2485
We made the same move in June 2016. I advise following trying to stay in comfortable zones. It's no fun when there's violent storms or it's 100 degrees.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:42 PM   #18

Model: Vegas
THOR #2485
I found Mark Polks RV101 videos on YouTube useful when I was starting out. I recommend watching the videos for 1) Adjusting and using your mirrors to watch traffic on both sides of your rig. 2) Setting reference points in your windshield to make it easy to stay centered in your lane while driving
Old 05-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #19

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Perhaps a bit late, but slow down approaching Coalville, Utah on I-80, as it winds through a narrow canyon for several miles before opening back up. You'll also need to be cautious clearing Parley's Summit at 7100 feet just west of Park City/Kimball Junction. 22 miles past Kimball you'll enter the Salt Lake Valley. Be sure you fuel up there in Salt Lake City because once you clear Tooele and Grantsville, UT heading West it is 66 miles to the next fuel stop at the State Line, Wendover NV.

Once you clear Wendover it's rather boring as you clear Wells, Elko, Carlin, Battle Mountain, Winnemucca, Lovelock, then into Sparks and Reno-406 miles across Nevada.

Out of Reno then you get the other big climb: Donner Pass at 7,000 feet. Beautiful scenery as you wind down toward Auburn and the Sacramento Valley.

We've driven that stretch many times!

GVP
Old 05-16-2020, 01:57 AM   #20

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
if anyone is over 62, you can get a national park senior pass good for life for about 90$. it gets you in to all national parks free, and camping is half price.

https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass

I love that drive, done it several times. see mt Rushmore, lots more. happy trails to you all

Tags
cross country, i-80, newbie, roadtrip