Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #17546
New Member - RV Anxiety

I love forums like this! Cars, motorcycles, you name it. Generally great information from decent folks. Thanks in advance.

I am a retired long-distance biker, a member of the Iron Butt Association. For years I have been riding quickly (and safely) around the country without stopping to see much. The goal was always to pile on the miles, which you can only do with your behind in the saddle. My wife will join me in retirement in a year or so. We are eager to travel together at a relaxed pace and think a motorhome would be a good way to do that. The Thor Axis 24.1 seems to appeal to us. Besides coming up with the money, there is only one problem. We have heard so many nightmare stories about all the things that don't work when an RV is new... or break within the first year, requiring excess time in the shop and lots of cash to fix. Are these problems unavoidable? Are there brands that are more reliable? How do the Thor Axis models compare with other RV's in terms of quality.

All opinions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Peace... Mack

Old 12-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Welcome to the forum. Did you hear stories of folks that were happy with their decisions and had very few or no problems their first year? If not, the suggestion is to listen a little longer or expand the group of folks you are listening to. Do a good PDI and walk away if the dealer doesn’t have the coach right. Also, and most importantly, find a good reputable dealer.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #3

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I’ve owned two 24.1s a 2014 Vegas and a 2016 Axis. I have put over 60K miles on them, to Alaska and back three trips to Canada and several to national Parks out west. I have been lucky. Most of the things I found wrong I got fixed under warranty in the first years with two ones day trips to the dealer for each. I have fixed a lot of little things myself and you will save yourself a lot of time and money, if you can do some of that. There are a lot of smart people who will help you in this forum if you are willing to dive in.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:51 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We've had our Axis 24.1 going on 5 years now. The most serious problem with it was a little window leak the factory fixed up--can't even tell there was something wrong there. Other than that one or two little things the dealer fixed up. Both of those items were ages ago as far as we're concerned.

If you really want to be forearmed in your purchase decision: Read Ed's crowd sourced Axis/Vegas owner's manual found here: (free download)
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

After thumbing through those pages you'll be able to look in every nook and crannie of the RV and know what you're looking at (and if something is off or not).

Being in Ohio you're not too far from Wakarusa, IN where the factory service center is. There isn't anything on the coach that they can't make better than new.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:56 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
No matter what brand new RV you buy it will have many factory installed defects. Some brands have more defects as standard equipment than other brands, but they are all there. If you want to skip the trips to have these factory defects reworked, buy used.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:59 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Go for it!! You'll never hear from the 95% satisfied owners...they just hit the road an enjoy the journey. 95% of the other 5% are the ones who just don't get it but complain full time until they die. Yes...we've all had issues but your ability to repair stuff will overcome most if it. If things get really bad, take it Wakarusa and they will do a fine job of making it right. RV's are simple, common sense configurations and most of them are the same...floor changes vary...chassis' vary...but the guts are all the same. Like anything else mechanical...the more they cost, they better they are built. If someone asked me..."give me just one piece of advice for purchasing my new motorhome"...I would tell them..."go for whatever unit fits your butt and budget but make sure you have 2 A/C units. Go for as high as you can and grow into it...they get small real fast. Enjoy the journey and report back in soon!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:10 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Party!
From a fellow biker... sort of!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1576106573
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0825180659_Burst01_resized.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	361.2 KB
ID:	21790  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:12 AM   #8

THOR #17546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Welcome to the Party!
From a fellow biker... sort of!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1576106573
Sure, Bob. That counts. No doors, no roof... just you and the open road. I only have two wheels on my ride, but I would bet anything that our helmets smell exactly the same on a 94 degree day.

Peace... Mack
Old 12-12-2019, 12:20 AM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
on a hot day: mine could drive a hungry mutt off of a gut-pile!
Old 12-12-2019, 12:24 AM   #10

THOR #17546
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Welcome to the forum. Did you hear stories of folks that were happy with their decisions and had very few or no problems their first year? If not, the suggestion is to listen a little longer or expand the group of folks you are listening to. Do a good PDI and walk away if the dealer doesn’t have the coach right. Also, and most importantly, find a good reputable dealer.

Haha! Thanks... I will listen a little closer for a little longer next time!
Old 12-12-2019, 12:26 AM   #11

THOR #17546
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
We've had our Axis 24.1 going on 5 years now. The most serious problem with it was a little window leak the factory fixed up--can't even tell there was something wrong there. Other than that one or two little things the dealer fixed up. Both of those items were ages ago as far as we're concerned.

If you really want to be forearmed in your purchase decision: Read Ed's crowd sourced Axis/Vegas owner's manual found here: (free download)
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

After thumbing through those pages you'll be able to look in every nook and crannie of the RV and know what you're looking at (and if something is off or not).

Being in Ohio you're not too far from Wakarusa, IN where the factory service center is. There isn't anything on the coach that they can't make better than new.
Thanks for the advice! I could not get Ed's One Drive link to work, so I sent him a note asking for assistance. It sounds like a very valuable tool!

Peace... Mack
Old 12-12-2019, 12:28 AM   #12

THOR #17546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
on a hot day: mine could drive a hungry mutt off of a gut-pile!
Awww, geeze. Now I got that in my head!
Old 12-12-2019, 01:52 AM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard the forums and happy RV hunting. We have had several MH's over the years and for the most part have been happy with them all. After you have decided on a specific unit or floorplan you can then look for the best deal out there, but be forewarned, though you may save a few bucks at dealer "A", dealer "B" may be a better choice as their service department has a better reputation. We have spent the extra coin and bought our rigs from "local" dealers and have gotten better service when it was required. IMHO the old adage you get what you pay for applies twofold in the RV industry.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:53 AM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I can't believe that nobody warned you about me...
Old 12-12-2019, 02:36 AM   #15

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. I am on my 2nd motor home. The first was a Class B 2016 Winnebago ERA. After 1 1/2 years we moved up to a 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS. Both are built on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 chassis. We bought both brand new. There will be times that things will need to be fixed and hopefully they can be found out during your 1 year warranty period. The biggest piece of good advise is to find a good dealership that you trust. The dealership can make or break your thought of ownership. Motor homes are basically a house on wheels that move around on bumpy roads and tight turns. Most repairs can be done by the owner but sometimes it takes a bit more knowledge or tools that dealerships have access. Loose screws, drawers not closing properly, minor electrical issues... It is like owning a house. You learn how to repair most things yourself. This forum is a wealth of knowledge. You just need to ask and someone here will have an answer for you. We have had many great adventures in our motor home and haven't looked back or regretted our decision to purchase.

Paul
Old 12-12-2019, 02:46 AM   #16

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Welcome to the group. I’m in the “go for it!” group. I’ve had 4 RVs - one Thor and 3 SOBs. The Thor was the best of the first three (4th is too new to know yet). I’m sure you’ll have a few things to fix or adjust and, to be sure a some folks have real problems, but choose a good dealer and do a thorough PDI and chances are very good that you’ll be fine. And my experience is that Thor has pretty darn good customer support. Here’s my other ride!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0810.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	21796
Old 12-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #17

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Go for it!! You'll never hear from the 95% satisfied owners...they just hit the road an enjoy the journey. 95% of the other 5% are the ones who just don't get it but complain full time until they die. Yes...we've all had issues but your ability to repair stuff will overcome most if it. If things get really bad, take it Wakarusa and they will do a fine job of making it right. RV's are simple, common sense configurations and most of them are the same...floor changes vary...chassis' vary...but the guts are all the same. Like anything else mechanical...the more they cost, they better they are built. If someone asked me..."give me just one piece of advice for purchasing my new motorhome"...I would tell them..."go for whatever unit fits your butt and budget but make sure you have 2 A/C units. Go for as high as you can and grow into it...they get small real fast. Enjoy the journey and report back in soon!!

Ditto Gritz's response. Find what you feel to be the perfect coach, be prepared for some repairs, but see the bigger picture: once all the bugs are worked out your freedom and enjoyment is only limited by your imagination and wallet!
GVP
Old 12-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #18

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Mackeroni, Welcome to the forum!!! First time RV anxiety is normal and goes away quickly. Everything is going to be new to you and it’s going to take a while to get used to driving and using all the systems on your coach. The good thing is most RVers are pretty nice people and willing to help others. If you have questions, just ask someone, either here on the forum or even your neighbor at a campground.

Hope you enjoy a lot of fun and safe miles!!! One good thing is you don’t have to pedal!!!
Old 12-12-2019, 11:05 PM   #19

Model: 34P
State: Washington
THOR #17551
Jumped In

Hi Everyone,
My significant other and I just purchased our first "slightly used/8000 miles" 2018 Thor Hurricane 34P. We are scheduled to take possession on the 23rd!
I am typically very practical and a purchase like this can be intimidating.
However, now that it is done we cannot wait to spend time together on the road with dogs/family/friends and the new friends we will meet along the way.
We are planning to tow our motorcycles on a trailer behind to enjoy day trips on two wheels.
Looking forward to asking questions about places to go and stay.
And as problems with the coach arise I am looking forward to the wealth of knowledge that will be available on forums such as this.
Happy Travels,
Keljof
Old 12-12-2019, 11:23 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!
What kind of bikes do you have, and what type of trailer will you be using?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote