Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2019, 12:28 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34P
State: Washington
THOR #17551
My girlfriend rides a Ducati Monster and I have a HD Sportster.
However, we are looking into getting (2) Triumph Tiger 800 XC's.
For now we have a utility trailer and I am going to be researching a Hydralift.
it would be nice to have the bikes and potentially tow a vehicle also?

Old 12-13-2019, 01:24 AM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congrats and welcome.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:30 AM   #23

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keljof View Post

Girlfriend who rides a Ducati is awesome!
Old 12-13-2019, 04:02 AM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #17546
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Mackeroni, Welcome to the forum!!! First time RV anxiety is normal and goes away quickly. Everything is going to be new to you and it’s going to take a while to get used to driving and using all the systems on your coach. The good thing is most RVers are pretty nice people and willing to help others. If you have questions, just ask someone, either here on the forum or even your neighbor at a campground.

Hope you enjoy a lot of fun and safe miles!!! One good thing is you don’t have to pedal!!!
Thanks, SuperD. That makes me feel better. I like to talk to folks that I meet on the road. I guess that skill will come in handy if I need advice.

Peace... Mack
Old 12-13-2019, 04:10 AM   #25

State: Ohio
THOR #17546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keljof View Post
I am impressed by the number of motorized toys that you have, and maybe a little jealous. I think it is interesting that you want to take the whole thing with you when you travel. Personally, I would take either the bikes or the towed car, but not both. For me it would be too much effort to do all that loading and unloading.

Enjoy your travels! Peace... Mack
Old 12-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #26

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Keljof, First, welcome to the forum!!! You are absolutely right about the wealth of information on this forum, many years of experience and if it has or can be done someone here has probably done it.

I’m going to give my opinion on hydraulic lifts, I don’t like them! I think the added weight puts to much strain on the back of the MH. Look at the wheelbase on most coaches compared to the MH length, there is a lot of overhang from the rear wheels to the rear bumper. The long overhang creates a big lever, with the combined weight of the lift and motorcycle there is a lot of force being generated.

Not as convenient but there are several different dollies and trailers that have a side loading area in the front for cycles and a place at the rear for a car. Not cheap but in IMHO much safer for driving.

Yes I have seen a lot of hydraulic lifts on the back of coaches, I’ve seen more than a couple that have had problems.

It’s your money but consider all the options before making a decision.

Girlfriend that rides a Duck, wow, you need to hang on to her!!!
Old 12-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #27

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I'm with Super D on this. Unless it's a Prevost or MCI, weight and bouncing will be an issue. The frames on most MH's barely handle the weight of the coach...much less the exaggerated weight that far behind the axle.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
... and I'm with SuperD and Gritz on this as wll...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #29

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Andrew wit gritz Check out tandem tow
Old 12-18-2019, 08:06 PM   #30

Model: 25.3
State: Texas
THOR #16640
As a member with a 2018 Vegas 25.3 that I purchased new in 2019, I can only say that as you probably already know, anything mechanical will need repairs and maintenance. This is my 3rd coach, having had a Discovery and a Tradition, in each of these there were things that broke and needed repair.
This coach I can say had numerous things that as I went over it after picking it up found that needed an adjustment or tightening. Nothing major when found but might have been more serious if left alone. But at the same time not any different than the Fleetwood Discovery or the American Coach Tradition. I look forward to traveling the the rest of my retirement in a coach that I am able to stay on top of and enjoy.
Review the coach before you purchase, look for the things that are assembled incorrectly, then make an informed purchase. If unsure what to look for , hire an inspector and use his recommendations. Enjoy your travels.
Current Coach - 25.3 Vegas - TOGO RoadLink C2 -
Previous Coach - American Tradition 42P
Dsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:13 PM   #31

Model: ACE - 29
State: Arkansas
THOR #6797
My 5th RV

We’ve owned 5 RVs with 3 of them new. The new ones definitely have had more issues but all were quickly fixed by our dealer. In fact, our dealer said here are the top 5 warranty issues. She hit 4 out of 5. All were repaired with 24 hours. The big thing is to use it all you can while the warranty is good. We avoided long trips the first 3 to 6 months. Keep in mind the seasons, you won’t know about the A/C until the 90s or the furnace until winter. Our furnace did quit and they had to replace the board but no issue. We also found very little insulation above the dash which I fixed by stuffing it full. We now use our 2017 ACE about 75% of the time and love it. Good Luck and remember people generally just complain.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:44 PM   #32

State: British Columbia
THOR #12644
There are no guaranties. I had an arctic fox, generally considered one of the better brands and it was a lemon. It's not only manufacturer issues, all RV's contain dozens of 3rd party products. Your biggest threat is always water. You want to visually insect all seals & joints religiously especially on the roof and at the nose & back transitions. All RV's leak it is just amatter of when, not if. You want to use the internal pump frequently as constant chirping from that will alert you to plumbing leaks that a city water hookup wont. The smart person turns the pump off or the city tap off when he leaves the RV unattended. You need to check traps, especially the one under shower, regulary. Road vibration can easily loosen them. Slides are often a source of problems. You want to avoid exceptionally long ones and keep them to a minimum. Slides that contain fridges also contian moving gas lines.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #33

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13555
We are somewhat new to the group, everyone is so helpful. We had so much anxiety that we cancelled our first contract to buy but came back and bought our Axis 2 months later after much research and reading lots of posts on this forum.
We’ve had our 2018 Axis 24.1 bought new for almost a year. We’ve put over 10,000 miles on it and will be putting another 8,000 to 10,000 on it this year. We love the size, layout and have plenty of storage. It isn’t fancy but works great for us. We do not pull a car but get every where we want to go. We’ve done some long term (month in one place) and going west mostly a night or 2 traveling and found it worked great. We have had some issues but have all been taken care of by our dealership due to warranty.
Good luck in your travels.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #34

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Welcome home!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Black and white.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	21875  
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:57 PM   #35

State: Texas
THOR #13816
Welcome to both Mackeroni and Keljof! You will learn a lot from the good people on this forum! We purchased our first RV back in April. Our Vegas 24.1 was new. Yes, we found a few things that needed to be repaired, and our dealer took care of them. You will likely need to add some items to your Axis to help with the driving experience. We absolutely love our Vegas! It is easy to drive and park. Overall we have had no issues with quality. At this point my husband and I would both be inclined to purchase a Thor brand again. I can’t wait until spring when we plan to take a long trip to Tennesee.

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:14 AM   #36

State: California
THOR #15490
The Thor is my 3rd RV and every brand has its builders flaws hence the year no question warranty on them. That said Thor has had very minimal problems for me and spent the least amount of time in the shop. I would for the firat year after purchase only plan small trips a couple weeks at a time and plan a month or 2 between to get stuff fixed. What I did is when I picked up from the shop I made a new appt the same day for the day I planned on getting back that way if stuff broke or I found flaws while on the trip I didnt have to wait for an open appt date just took my to fix list with me and handed it over. Shouldnt cost anything within the manufacturer warranty even if you break something warranty will most likely cover it. My kids broke a cabinet door and thor covered the cabinet rebuild.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:36 AM   #37

Model: ACE 27.2
THOR #14923
Find the layout you like, and you can then shop brands. I have a Thor ACE 27.2. It was the best price for the layout I wanted, and the shortest (28’9”) class A with a couch, which was important to us, coming from a 24’ class C. Also, it has a king size bed. A couple of things I don’t like: the couch cannot be replaced with Recpro, etc., recliners, as there is an outside TV (which I never watch) behind it. Having the couch in the slide would allow for it. I bought mine used, a year old and with 5k miles on it, saved $15k. The minor scratches were worth it. The cabinetry is junk, IMHO, but functional. The Ford V10 is plenty powerful, I pull a Chevy Tracker toad, which is light. The absolute perfect layout didn’t exist for me, everything has one compromise or another, but overall I like it and Have no need for anything else. A 4x4 toad, some solar, etc., and you’re set.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:37 AM   #38

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Mack: Welcome to the forum. I didn't see a message from you for the manual. Send me an email at bevedfelker@live.com and I'll send it to you by email reply in .pdf format.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:03 AM   #39

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
... and I'm with SuperD and Gritz on this as wll...
Old 12-19-2019, 04:55 AM   #40

THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackeroni View Post
I love forums like this! Cars, motorcycles, you name it. Generally great information from decent folks. Thanks in advance.

I am a retired long-distance biker, a member of the Iron Butt Association. For years I have been riding quickly (and safely) around the country without stopping to see much. The goal was always to pile on the miles, which you can only do with your behind in the saddle. My wife will join me in retirement in a year or so. We are eager to travel together at a relaxed pace and think a motorhome would be a good way to do that. The Thor Axis 24.1 seems to appeal to us. Besides coming up with the money, there is only one problem. We have heard so many nightmare stories about all the things that don't work when an RV is new... or break within the first year, requiring excess time in the shop and lots of cash to fix. Are these problems unavoidable? Are there brands that are more reliable? How do the Thor Axis models compare with other RV's in terms of quality.

All opinions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Peace... Mack
Welcome to the group. My advice to you is to move forward with your eyes, ears and mind wide open. As with just about anything in life people have their opinions. With that in mind I always like to keep in mind that the first BS'r never stands a chance. When it comes to buying an RV I feel its good to keep things in perspective. Go into into it knowing that there are a lot of moving parts and different systems and that your basically driving a small home down the road, therefore, everything in it is constantly in motion. Also, most of these RV's are manufactured on an assembly line in a very short amount of time with little or no QA/QC. I get it they are trying to make money so they gotta keep things moving. I think its good to keep this in mind because then maybe we can have more realistic expectations about what we are getting into. New RV buyers should also do their homework as you are and make sure you do a good PDI and also understand your warranty coverages (there are several warranties on each RV). I like many others like to modify and make improvements to my RV. There are also times when something needs to be fixed that is covered under a warranty but its just easier to fix it myself. I'm fortunate that I have the skills and desire to work on some of the issues on our RV. Most times I find it's better to handle things myself. It also helps to learn more about your specific RV. Some people don't feel comfortable working on their RV's and that is fine too. But if you're going to take your RV to the Repair Shop then remember you have to be very patient. There are a lot of other RV's that are going to the Repair Shop a well. As others have said there are a lot of talented and experienced RV'ers out there and on this forum. RV'ing is definitely a great lifestyle but its not for everyone. Don't let the Haters and the Boo Birds distract you. The best advice about our RV that I think we ever got was when we first bought it. Our Salesman said, Go out there and enjoy your RV, You're going to find things wrong and stuff is going to happen but, enjoy the adventure. Safe travels.
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote