Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2021, 07:25 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #12281
Nervous Is Not Unusual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtorving View Post
Hey all! My family (wife and son) and I have been wanting to purchase a motorhome the last year or so, and finally did. We are expecting delivery of our 2021 Thor Delano 24RW mid February. Super excited but nervous at the same time. We have never owned or used an RV prior to this purchase. So everything is new to us. We plan to fly to the dealer in TX, and make our way back to NH where we live. We did rent a temp controlled storage unit so we are set there. I'm kind of optimistic thinking we can do this! Nothing like taking a long trip back as your first experience. Also, I am new to forums in general, but glad I found this one and will figure out how to best navigate hopefully. Outside the forums I have been researching the basic needs for RV'ing, like what I would need to get started. However, if anyone is bored feel free to provide any helpful feedback on what to expect from picking up the RV from the dealership, driving, navigating RV parks, hooking up, dry camping, to storing, etc. Appreciate any and all feedback. Here's to looking ahead to the open road and enjoying quality family time.
I have owned RVs of different styles now for over 20 years and, believe me, every time I start planning a trip, I get nervous and even experience a little dread considering all the things that can go wrong. But once I get behind the wheel and out of the traffic, I feel much more confident, although, I try to stay continuously on alert and not to get distracted.

One of the golden rules is when you are making turns, take it slow and keep checking mirrors. You have to watch not only the front but the sides and the tail-end swing. And don't forget overhead. I have banged up my RVs sever times and it can ruin your vacation and it ain't cheap to fix.

When backing, I always try to get help from the outside. My wife has learned how to get out to guide and watch for me. We keep our cellphones on speaker so she can give me instructions and scream if it am going to hit something.

Also, remember you can't stop nearly as quickly as cars so always stay way back and don't speed. One of my big fears is coming over the crest of a big hill or mountain and, at the bottom of the decline is a line of cars backed up at a traffic light and I can't stop soon enough. Also, don't build up speed coming down hills. Brakes can overheat easily.

My finally suggestion to make a habit of following these and other RV blogs. It's a lot of reading but you'll get a real education.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:38 PM   #22

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Congrats and welcome! Once you do hit the road, its tempting to take the side-routes and back roads, but always keep your height/clearance in mind on your route!
The hubby and I we're forced to unhitch our Toad and back up from a low overhead bridge during our travels. Talk about embarrassing.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:05 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
MHS in Texas are the best!!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:19 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Welcome to RVing and to this great forum.

You already received a lot of good advice. When we started our neighbors and friends who own a travel trailer helped us out a bunch. The husband took me under his wings and thought me just about everything from leveling to operating all of the systems, his wife got with my wife on the interior set up and what we need and probably don't need.

On our first trip together they helped us with setting up and making sure we were good to go before they did their set up (where I "helped"). We have taking 5 or 6 shorter semi local trips last year together and had a great time. We plan on taking a longer far out trip this summer to South Dakota (we all will be fully vaccinated by then and hopefully Covid-19 is on a deep decline at that time)

If you have friends who already have an RV that would be you best resource. Also, we are glad to have taken the plunge into Rving, it is great!
Old 02-03-2021, 09:21 PM   #25

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Plenty of blank checks

Make Shute you have plenty of blank checks and lots of $$ in the account, you will need them.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:01 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeace29.3 View Post
Make Shute you have plenty of blank checks and lots of $$ in the account, you will need them.
And why would that be ??? What a useless and negative comment!

The OP bought a brand new RV, the only money he will need is for personalization and initial set up items.

To the OP,

Don't let negative comments spoil your fun.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:27 PM   #27

THOR #20220
take all your warranty books, pack lots of tools and take masking tape and zip ties ..all help if needed
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 02-03-2021, 10:53 PM   #28

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2450
The biggest thing about being in the Northeast is the lack of RV shops. Very few Mobile RV Repair as well. I am just north of Boston and the closest shops to me are all about the same distance North, South and West, which is 50 to 60 miles away. Not sure where in NH you are but I have used Ocean Breeze in Hampton for some of my older RV's. He was reasonably priced and did what he said he would do. Not sure how he works with Warranty or extended Warranty issues.

By no means do I have the experience of some of the other members of this forum, but I am relatively close to you. I have a 2015 Windsport that I bought 3 years ago. I have done several long trips in it. I would be glad to chat with you if you need a local ear. PM me and I will get back to you.

Welcome to the picnic.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:24 PM   #29

State: Minnesota
THOR #19096
New RV

I got the same model last April. The 2019 Mercedes chassis is fantastic, you should really enjoy driving it! Be careful not to overload it as the weight limits are low. The pipes in the water system are not insulated or heated so think about getting it winterized in Texas after you have checked out all the systems. The clearance between the dinette slide out and the drawers in the kitchen under the counter is very tight. Make sure the drawers all the way closed before opening or closing the slide out. The rubber gasket grabbed a drawer on mine, pulled it out and made a huge mess. You really need to use a flashlight and verify all the drawers are tightly shut before opening the slide out. I am still waiting for a replacement refrigerator as the freezer works, but not the refrigerator so I made ice in the freezer and kept replacing melted ice in the refrigerator all last season. Aside from that it has been great!
Old 02-04-2021, 02:11 AM   #30

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Ohio
THOR #4541
Congrats on your new Delano and welcome to the forum. You've received a lot of good advice from this group. I would add that you might want to download a couple of RV trip apps for use on your drive back to NH. For example, I use RV Parky (and a couple of other apps) while traveling. Each day when we stop for lunch we estimate how much further we plan to drive. Pick a target area to stop for the night, plug that town into RV Parky and see what RV parks are close by. We call ahead and make a reservation for that night. Make sure you learn how to winterize as you'll have to winterize your RV before you get back to NH. Winterizing is very easy and only takes 15-20 minutes. Have a safe trip home.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:34 AM   #31

Model: Windsport 31s
State: California
THOR #13345
Hello n congrats!
We too bought frm MHSRV. They couldn't hav been more accommodating. They picked us up frm the airport n took us to the lot. We stayed there 3 nights to get used to the new rig. We bought a class A which we never had b4. They assign u a "porter" to go ovr EVERYTHING! If ur not clear make sure u ask again. We went thru all functions with the porter. Nothing was a problem was their attitude. They even offered us a rental vehicle ( no chg -only a promise to put bk in the gas u used. We went to the local Walmart 2 p/u food n basic supplies.
We were invited to a BBQ lunch too. ( no chg). U may consider practicing driving ur new rig around the compound 2 get acclimated to the size. Many adventures await u! Be safe.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:40 AM   #32

Model: Miramar
State: Arizona
THOR #22036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankthetank View Post
Hello n congrats!

We too bought frm MHSRV. They couldn't hav been more accommodating. They picked us up frm the airport n took us to the lot. We stayed there 3 nights to get used to the new rig. We bought a class A which we never had b4. They assign u a "porter" to go ovr EVERYTHING! If ur not clear make sure u ask again. We went thru all functions with the porter. Nothing was a problem was their attitude. They even offered us a rental vehicle ( no chg -only a promise to put bk in the gas u used. We went to the local Walmart 2 p/u food n basic supplies.

We were invited to a BBQ lunch too. ( no chg). U may consider practicing driving ur new rig around the compound 2 get acclimated to the size. Many adventures await u! Be safe.

Wow! We literally got back late last night from picking up our class A from MHSRV....we did not get that same experience! Felt very shortchanged with our “delivery” process. Spent only 45 min in “the barn” and felt very kicked out of the nest as if we were just on our own.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:45 AM   #33

Model: Miramar
State: Arizona
THOR #22036
Quote:
Hey all! My family (wife and son) and I have been wanting to purchase a motorhome the last year or so, and finally did. We are expecting delivery of our 2021 Thor Delano 24RW mid February. Super excited but nervous at the same time. We have never owned or used an RV prior to this purchase. So everything is new to us. We plan to fly to the dealer in TX, and make our way back to NH where we live. We did rent a temp controlled storage unit so we are set there. I'm kind of optimistic thinking we can do this! Nothing like taking a long trip back as your first experience. Also, I am new to forums in general, but glad I found this one and will figure out how to best navigate hopefully. Outside the forums I have been researching the basic needs for RV'ing, like what I would need to get started. However, if anyone is bored feel free to provide any helpful feedback on what to expect from picking up the RV from the dealership, driving, navigating RV parks, hooking up, dry camping, to storing, etc. Appreciate any and all feedback. Here's to looking ahead to the open road and enjoying quality family time.

Just wanted to share that I’d done a lot of comparisons on extended warranty plans and roadside assistance plans. I looked at Good Sam’s, Wholesale Warranties and RV complete from MHSRV. we ended up going with MHSRV/RV Complete and CoachNet. Ended up being the best deal economically, and I liked the 24/7 Tech Assistance hotline, plus better Trip Interruption services from CoachNet. Not sure if we will ever need the Medical repatriation services, but that was unique too. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2021, 01:58 PM   #34

Model: Aria 3901
State: Tennessee
THOR #6882
Congratulations

We purchased both our motorhomes from MHSRV. We live in TN. Like you, when we purchased the first, we had never owned an RV of any type. Both times we stayed two nights at the MHSRV site. It allowed us to get used to all the various systems as well as have the techs repair/correct any issues we discovered before we left and headed home. We love RVing and wish you many miles of safe, healthy RVing.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:46 PM   #35

THOR #20220
MHSRV pickup at airport and they are amazong service. Would not buy from anyone else!!!
Old 02-04-2021, 05:49 PM   #36

State: Florida
THOR #12281
Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
And why would that be ??? What a useless and negative comment!

The OP bought a brand new RV, the only money he will need is for personalization and initial set up items.

To the OP,

Don't let negative comments spoil your fun.
If any response was useless it was this insulting one.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:02 PM   #37

THOR #20220
Hi Team looking forward to early camping in montana..many short trips booked everything is now open here!!
Old 02-05-2021, 08:21 PM   #38
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Hey all! My family (wife and son) and I have been wanting to purchase a motorhome the last year or so, and finally did. We are expecting delivery of our 2021 Thor Delano 24RW mid February. Super excited .
Hey ! Congratulations !!! I went to the Thor website and viewed
your new TOY ! Looks like a neat floorplan.
BOBs advice and the checklist are a must...run the slides in and out several times...does this unit have electronic steps? ... if so, run them in and out a number of times....DO THIS PROCEEDURE ON all things...dont take anything for granted...stay a couple days and nights...one day isnt sufficient...as once you drive it off the premises, you will have a looooong wait for repairs if something goes wrong. NOT TRYING TO SCARE YOU...we all speak from experience...take all of this information to heart and ENJOY !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:14 PM   #39

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
New Delivery

I agree with all these guys about trying every system, every single one, to make sure it works! Just having them tell you how it's supposed to work does not mean anyone has checked to make sure it actually works! Every possible combination of things on the electronics. Water pump, all the faucets and shower fixtures and assembly for leaks. Connect city water and do it again. All radio and camera functions. Dump valves for leaks and use of. Try the water heater for function on propane AND electric! This is very often a failure missed at delivery. All lights, every single one. Test the trailer wiring connector for function. Exhaust fans. Door and drawer closing and latches. External speakers, do they both work? Does the external tv play through them? Generator starts and runs under all the load you can apply. Starts and runs while you are driving so you can use the house ac. You will need this in summer in the southwest for people not riding in the cockpit. What works on the inverter and what doesn't, does everything it is supposed power actually work? Heater, AC air output temperature. Leveling system if you have one. Awning operating and outside lights. Do not fall for the " just go use it and make a hit list for us to fix" You won't even be in the same state as the dealer. Drive it hard and on the freeways BEFORE starting delivery paperwork. Tire vibrations? Alignment issues? DO NOT LEAVE THE LOT UNTIL EVERY LITTLE THING AND BIG THING IS WORKING! Test absolutely everything! Even test how easy or time consuming it is to fuel. Fill the tanks with water and check the indicators. Are you familiar with how to check engine fluid levels and tire pressures on this unit? Make sure you have a good pressure gage as you should check all the tires before setting out and at least every other fuel stop.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:27 AM   #40

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #19918
Welcome, we too got our motor home from MHRSV in Texas. We stayed 2 days cause our refrigerator didn’t work and we left with the paper work to get it fixed because otherwise we would have to wait 2 weeks to have it sent and installed. We then drove home to PA in 2 days because we had to go to work so no sightseeing. We stayed in Walmart’s parking lots but not all Walmart’s allow it. It was also our first RV. There is definitely a learning curve when things don’t work. As others have said find yourself a local shop that will do work. My personal opinion on the extended warranty is forget it. Take that money you would have spent on the warranty and put it aside for fixes. The warranty does not cover very much. I have used the forum to enlighten myself and ask for help. Unfortunately many times I was unable to fix it myself and had to take it into the shop. I was amazed that even though someone is a Thor dealer if they didn’t sell it they often won’t fix it. Luckily we have a small family owned dealership that will do work and are reasonable locally. We videotaped the walk through and it has been helpful. Hope you have many wonderful adventures in your new MH.