Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2021, 07:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Delano
State: New Hampshire
THOR #21524
New and nervous!

Hey all! My family (wife and son) and I have been wanting to purchase a motorhome the last year or so, and finally did. We are expecting delivery of our 2021 Thor Delano 24RW mid February. Super excited but nervous at the same time. We have never owned or used an RV prior to this purchase. So everything is new to us. We plan to fly to the dealer in TX, and make our way back to NH where we live. We did rent a temp controlled storage unit so we are set there. I'm kind of optimistic thinking we can do this! Nothing like taking a long trip back as your first experience. Also, I am new to forums in general, but glad I found this one and will figure out how to best navigate hopefully. Outside the forums I have been researching the basic needs for RV'ing, like what I would need to get started. However, if anyone is bored feel free to provide any helpful feedback on what to expect from picking up the RV from the dealership, driving, navigating RV parks, hooking up, dry camping, to storing, etc. Appreciate any and all feedback. Here's to looking ahead to the open road and enjoying quality family time.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:54 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our campfire, and congratulations on the start of some really great adventures!
What dealership did you buy from?
It it was from MHSRV: they have on-site lots where you can camp for a couple of days, and make sure that everything is working, and you've got the processes figured out.
About the delivery process...
Make sure that:
1. every system works as it should
2. every system is fully explained to you
3. See rules 1&2...
If you can have someone videoing the delivery system: it'll give you a handy reference later.
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:06 PM   #3

THOR #21524
Thank you Bob for the quick reply. Yes, MHSRV is the dealer. I plan on staying the night so I can review, iron things out and simply get to know the rig. I appreciate all the feedback. The dealer does offer a concierge type add on which I am considering. Basically it's a 911 vehicle to get help with whatever, wherever and whenever for the rig. Ps. I did laugh when I saw your post count to my measly 1! i'll get there I'm sure.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:23 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The post count only means that I should be working harder right now...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:48 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Rvchecklist is an android app.
Download it today and get familiar with it.
It will be more valuable the more you're familiar with it.

It has 288 things to ask/look for during delivery.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:50 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:23 PM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

I totally agree with this post!
Be sure everything works as it should while you're there. Filming on your iPad or phone is great, turn every knob, pull every drawer, power up all appliances by every method, don't be awestruck by all the bling & DO NOT let them rush you through this process, if it takes all day so be it. And don't sign off on anything til it's all fixed to your liking.
If you need 3-4 days at the dealer lot, do so til all is to your satisfaction &/or understood. I'd recommend finding a park nearby MHSRV for a few days, or a week, til your comfortable to head north.
Also be aware, unlike automobiles the RV dealers in NH are NOT obligated to do warranty work on RVs the did not sell. You may need to find an independent rv repair person/facility that will do Thor warranty, wait who knows how long on a local dealer to possibly do the warranty work or in absolute worst case make another trip to Alvarado Texas.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

Also an iPhone app. Been using it on my iPhone and iPad for years.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:18 PM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Congrats on the new RV, and welcome aboard!

If you are going to be driving it back to New Hampshire in February, be sure to keep a careful eye on the weather forecasts along your route, and be prepared to fully winterize it. As I'm certain you realize, New England can be quite cold at that time of year.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:54 AM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! Remember, most of the things we worry about never happen! A second or third night at or near the dealer would be a good idea.

With anything mechanical, checklists are your friend. Following them religiously will prevent a lot of problems. Your new friends here will be happy to help with your questions. Happy trails!
Old 01-28-2021, 12:59 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
If you are picking it up at MHSRV then the coach will be in the delivery barn. You will have electricity and a full water tank unless you specify it to be delivered winterized. Make a video of the PDI as the tech will go fast in explaining how to make every thing work. Stay in the delivery barn until you are satisfied every works as it is supposed to. The office for the delivery techs is in the center of the barn. You can always go there and ask for assistance in getting things to work. Plan on staying at least 24 hours in the delivery barn. Two days is not unreasonable if you live more than a days drive to get home. I made the tech go with to dump. By the way, they gave us a patio rug, comprehensive tool kit, water and sewer hose. Usually the salesman will come by the coach in the barn several times to makes sure you are happy. The food id the cafeteria was good and free but that was in 2016. I been back several times to look since I moved to TX, but haven't bought anything and nothing on our coach has broken.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:00 AM   #12

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Congrats on the purchase. Take your time and try out everything multiple times to be sure you know how they work. Have them explain in detail how to hook up at a campsite with power, water and sewer. When dumping the sewer always dump the black tank first followed with the grey tank. The grey helps to wash out the ugly black tank from the sewer hose. Have them explain if you need the engine on or off when operating the slides and/or if the parking brake must be engaged or not during that procedure. It will get easier as you go along and get used to how everything works. Take your time and enjoy it.

Paul
Old 01-28-2021, 02:44 AM   #13

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I think everything has been covered so welcome and congratulations
Old 01-28-2021, 02:59 AM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome and congratulations on entering the Wide World of Sports also known as RVng!
As others have said go over that puppy with a fine tooth comb and don't leave till you are satisfied with how every system works.
If you are driving from Texas to New Hampshire do you have a service facility to do any warranty work in your neighborhood? I would check on that because inevitably something will pop up and most dealers that didn't sell the coach are not jumping through hoops to do another selling dealers warranty work.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:24 AM   #15

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Welcome and congrats. Its all a lot to take in at first, but you will get the hang of it and don't beat yourself up over mistakes. Things happen.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #16

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum. There's nothing I can really add to the advice you've already received. They've covered it all. Just make sure you have the basics, sewer hose, water hoses, etc.. I f the previous posts didn't give you all those things, the dealer will have some info.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:55 AM   #17

THOR #21524
Thank you!

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, feedback and then some! I am working/comparing extended warranty either from the dealer or 3rd party. Being a a newbie and all, not the most handy person, research here and on other sites says I should highly consider extended warranty. I also really do like the coach-net motor club which seems to be a 911 for everything needed whenever and wherever - sort of like a Thor concierge.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:48 PM   #18

Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtorving View Post
Thank you everyone for your thoughts, feedback and then some! I am working/comparing extended warranty either from the dealer or 3rd party. Being a a newbie and all, not the most handy person, research here and on other sites says I should highly consider extended warranty. I also really do like the coach-net motor club which seems to be a 911 for everything needed whenever and wherever - sort of like a Thor concierge.

Congrats on your families new rv adventures just remember to have fun
Old 02-03-2021, 07:10 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds Sprinter
State: Utah
THOR #10500
Check the DEF level

Have a great trip home but check the DEF level before you leave the dealer. My 1000 mile trip home was interrupted by the Sprinter shutting down due to low DEF level from the dealer. A good learning experience but also disconcerning.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:24 PM   #20

State: Ontario
THOR #19960
Welcome and congratulations.
I could not agree more with the comment about recording the delivery walk through. If you are lucky enough and your son could do the recording that would be the best, but if not so be it, but do, do it. I am always amazed at what I didn't hear or even see when I get home and watch the recording.
Now just sit back take it SLOW and enjoy the journey.