Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2020, 07:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Residency
State: Alabama
THOR #21054
Hello from the edge of stupidity...

New guy here. Just logged on and wanted to fire a flare into the sky that I was present and trying learn all that I can.

My 1995 Thor Residency was donated to me because of the extent of my military service. It was a real and present "cry-fest" as no one had ever done that for me before. Certainly not giving me the keys to 8.5 feet by 33 feet of [customizable] "freedom."

I got it while in Florida earlier this year, but I haven't even had time to learn how to empty the black water tank with the ravages of the Wuhan virus/China virus/Covid-19 delaying my renovation progress! Yikes!

And the dashboard I want to refurbish barely works. But I am one to customize the "junk" of others extensively. I am working with outfits in the New Orleans metroplex known as Kenner. A place known as RV Masters is helping me out. However, I still need/want a owner's manual. It won't make much of a difference since I am renovating the "freedom bus," but it would be nice to know where I can get a new dashboard among other things. Like the picture of me lifting author Neil Gaiman, I know what support looks like. And I have been experiencing it since joining the RV family!

And load limits on the chassis since I want to tow my "ultimate golf cart." A 2004 Mercedes Benz SL500. The problem there is that the car is approximately 7000 pounds!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200331_101053.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	26917   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200709_184211.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	26918  

Name:	20200828_120515.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	26919   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201014_153632.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	26920  

Name:	20200628_215400.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	26921  

Old 10-30-2020, 11:41 PM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service!

Unfortunately, RVs don't have comprehensive manuals like autos. If there was one, it was probably pretty worthless. You can go to the websites of the components and many will have manuals for those items.

You've got a big project ahead. Open the pocketbook and make it what you want! Your SL500 specs out at just over 4000# (unless you hav e it armored), but Mercedes vehicles aren't towable four down. You'll need to either put it on a dolly or an aluminum trailer. You'll have to check the towing capacity of your Thor.

For the dashboard, it's either junk yard or custom build. You might look to hotrods for inspiration. Have fun with your project!
Old 10-31-2020, 12:29 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
From the pit of confusion, to the edge of stupidity: welcome to our campfire!
Old 10-31-2020, 12:49 AM   #4

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #11607
Welcome. Thank you for your service and congratulations on the new to you motorhome. Enjoy your new journey.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:21 AM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Ohio
THOR #20716
Welcome. Thank you for introducing yourself and for your courageous service. There are some very kind and helpful people here. I’m sure you will learn a lot from them.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:05 PM   #6

THOR #21054
I have learned a great deal from [everyone] thus far. I am on a "one man patrol" after a [marital separation] and the relative solace of the "RV life" has been appealing to me since 1979 when I learned that Long Island in New York was going to be more expensive than I could afford. Then H.O.A. [people], bad/crazy neighbors, unruly and undisciplined children bellowing on early Saturday or Sunday morning's, or those folks that hate the sight of an [American] flag living too close for comfort were all enough to incentivized me to "sail away" on my own.

All that have replied thus far, thank you for making me [feel] that my previous sacrifices were all worth it presently.

How copy?

Luckily- or fortunately, I was trained to be able to be by myself for very long periods of [linear] time.

Again, thank you all. Particularly regarding towing my car. Confirmation is always a good thing...Click image for larger version

Name:	1000w_q95_BradleyFighting_web.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	26987Click image for larger version

Name:	ZGIOFCCVLRAAJFCJP5DNHUVVWY.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	26988Click image for larger version

Name:	AV3ZGF7QZNBEJATKX3Z2NCN6GI.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	26989Click image for larger version

Name:	200403-M-CM018-1008.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	26991Click image for larger version

Name:	ISS_LIVE_NOW-20201012_014221.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	26992
Old 11-01-2020, 09:23 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. As you go along and discover something that needs attention. Just ask it here on the forum and someone will have an answer for you or can point you in the right direction to get the answer. Good luck on the new chapter.

Paul
Old 11-01-2020, 09:42 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
And thanks for the great pictures!
Old 11-02-2020, 11:48 AM   #9

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Thanks for your service and welcome to the forum
Old 11-04-2020, 08:55 PM   #10

Model: Hurican 34P
State: Maryland
THOR #17588
Thank you for your service.....welcome to the forum.... open up your wallet... get ready for the fun ride. There are a lot of great people to help on this forum.

My suggestion is start at the top... make sure your roof is good and water tight. No need to work inside and have it wrecked from water damage... very common...
Cakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 35c
State: Texas
THOR #16922
Hooah, and welcome to your information station. You will be able to get a lot of your answers here.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:58 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseADreadnaught View Post
New guy here. Just logged on and wanted to fire a flare into the sky that I was present and trying learn all that I can.

My 1995 Thor Residency was donated to me because of the extent of my military service. It was a real and present "cry-fest" as no one had ever done that for me before. Certainly not giving me the keys to 8.5 feet by 33 feet of [customizable] "freedom."

I got it while in Florida earlier this year, but I haven't even had time to learn how to empty the black water tank with the ravages of the Wuhan virus/China virus/Covid-19 delaying my renovation progress! Yikes!

And the dashboard I want to refurbish barely works. But I am one to customize the "junk" of others extensively. I am working with outfits in the New Orleans metroplex known as Kenner. A place known as RV Masters is helping me out. However, I still need/want a owner's manual. It won't make much of a difference since I am renovating the "freedom bus," but it would be nice to know where I can get a new dashboard among other things. Like the picture of me lifting author Neil Gaiman, I know what support looks like. And I have been experiencing it since joining the RV family!

And load limits on the chassis since I want to tow my "ultimate golf cart." A 2004 Mercedes Benz SL500. The problem there is that the car is approximately 7000 pounds!
Good LORD!!! 7000lbs. My Volvo S-80 is only about 4000 I think?? Thanks for your service and good luck with making this great looking coach just like YOU want it; Bob Trice
Old 11-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #13

THOR #21054
Outstanding [Citizens]!

You folks are making my [night ops]. (Giggles). I thought I would give a shout out (Hooah!) to the folks around the camp fire that I can see from [here]...

(Purple flares explode in the night sky).

I am including a picture of the progress thus far. Demo is always exciting stuff for me. (Giggles).

Thanks for the feedback by the by. I'm not getting much out of Thor, Inc. but custom- "bespoke," [in my world] is always a better thing. And a dashboard is really a matter of "if there is a will, there us a way." I've included what my inspiration or muse is for the dash. I am one for having more "information" coming at me than most civilians. Less information drives me crazy wondering how some system is doing or if it needs attention immediately or not.

It will be as tight in there as the International Space Station, but I am a real nerds nerd even at my age and really prefer it as everything is going to be at my fingertips or close enough for non-government work!

Wish me luck and/or if your the type that prays- please. Pray for a triari (Latin: "Veteran")! Thanks again.Click image for larger version

Name:	nikolatwo_5.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	27371Click image for larger version

Name:	nikola_tre_info2.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	27372Click image for larger version

Name:	mega-yacht-royal-falcon-fleet-rff135-porsche-design3.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	27373Click image for larger version

Name:	37930.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	27374Click image for larger version

Name:	ISS_LIVE_NOW-20201115_064142.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	27375Click image for larger version

Name:	ISS_LIVE_NOW-20201115_064228.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	27376Click image for larger version

Name:	20201119_101542.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	27377Click image for larger version

Name:	20201104_185730.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	27378Name:  20201123_180715.jpeg
Views: 189
Size:  9.7 KB
Old 11-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #14
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
A picture of your current dash might help, and perhaps think of a veneer of any type of wood. The engine and transmission may not be rated to pull that nicego cart of yours. That is a lot of weight and a vintage RV. We will be watching.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:35 PM   #15

THOR #21054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service!

Unfortunately, RVs don't have comprehensive manuals like autos. If there was one, it was probably pretty worthless. You can go to the websites of the components and many will have manuals for those items.

You've got a big project ahead. Open the pocketbook and make it what you want! Your SL500 specs out at just over 4000# (unless you hav e it armored), but Mercedes vehicles aren't towable four down. You'll need to either put it on a dolly or an aluminum trailer. You'll have to check the towing capacity of your Thor.

For the dashboard, it's either junk yard or custom build. You might look to hotrods for inspiration. Have fun with your project!
"...unless you have it armored..."

I'm "retired," and "not quite dead yet." And there is a real reason for that. (Giggles)

I'll try to get a picture of the stock dashboard and maybe I can garner more feedback in its regard...

Thanks to all, for now...

(Purple flares exploding in a night sky)

Tags
glamping, new guy woes