Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6698
New Owner of 2015 Axis 24.1

Hello. Back in January I purchased a lightly used 2015 Thor Axis 24.1 with less than 9,000 miles on it.I fell in love with the layout and size of the unit and the price was right.I have made a few modifications to it and am planning on more as time allows.I replaced the stock 6-gallon water heater with an on-demand unit.I have added a Tire Minder TPMS.I have a Safe-T-Plus steering damper that I will be installing soon, and I am looking at the Sumo springs for the front and rear suspensions, as I have heard and read great things about them.
I worked on cleaning it up and getting it ready for our first trip for a couple of months leading up to our departure. When the day finally arrived for us to leave on our trip, all went well for the first 100 miles.We took a less travelled road versus the interstate so that I could get a feel for how the coach handled when fully loaded and pulling our toad.It turns out that the road I took had a 25-mile section of rough pavement.When we had passed that trial we had to make a climb up from a valley floor via a switchback road.I dropped the gear selector into 2 Low and made the climb.When we topped the grade I went to shift back into Drive.As I did so, the transmission shifted into Neutral.When I tried to shift back down into drive the entire gear selector went floppy, as if it weren’t connected to anything any longer.We coasted to a stop about 2 miles from a small town.I looked under the dash and the linkage was still attached to the selector lever.So, I removed the doghouse cover and took a look inside the engine compartment.What I saw in there made my heart hurt.Evidently, the rough road surface had caused the shifter cable to shake loose from a clip or whatever held it back and it had come into contact with the driver’s side exhaust manifold.All of the plastic sheathing had melted away from the selector cable.I used a pair of pliers to push the cable and managed to get it into Low 1, so we drove the 2 miles into the small town and parked in a safe area.I shut the engine off and let it cool down so that I could work around the engine.I was able to locate the gear selector plunger on the side of the transmission and dropped it into Neutral.I engaged the parking brake and started the engine.With the engine running, I reached down through the access hole and selected Drive.We drove the next 200 miles like that and arrived at the campground.I parked in our campsite only using reverse gear once.I was never so glad to park a vehicle.
I called around and found out that the gear selector cable is not and aftermarket item and must be ordered from a Ford dealer. The nearest dealership was an hour and 45 minutes away.They didn’t have one in stock and if ordered, the replacement would arrive on the day we were coming back home.I decided to drive it back home like it was and have it repaired at my convenience.We made it back okay and it is at the dealership now having repairs made to it.
I appreciate the useful information presented here on the forums and am looking forward to making contributions to this great knowledge base.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Read: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...rive-2308.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
The situation Jamie referenced were several E350s in 2015 coming from Ford with the transmission cable on the exhaust manifold. The same thing happened to several other owners as what you experienced. Theirs; however, came from Ford & Thor with the cable already routed against the manifold. Yours was induced by the shaking on the rough road allowing the cable to fall down against the manifold.

Hopefully you can get this repaired without a lot of hassle. Be sure that whoever does the repair secures the cable well away from the exhaust and in such a way that it would fall down against the manifold again.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #4

THOR #6698
Wow...just, wow.

That is quite the comprehensive thread on this issue. What an eye-opener. I bought my Axis from a consignment lot and drove it 500 miles back home without an issue. I wonder if the cable was roasting near the hot manifold all that time, or if pulling our toad up a steep grade was what did it? All I know is that even if they make some changes to the routing of the new cable, I'm going to make sure it meets MY standards.
I can't believe there hasn't been a forced recall on this potentially hazardous quality control failure. Even though I bought this machine used, it's still one of the single most expensive purchases I've made (aside from my current home). For such a late-model low-mileage unit, it's just unacceptable.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
In a later 2016 Bulletin, Ford requires keeping cable at least 45 mm from exhaust (that's nearly 2 inches).
Old 06-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #6

THOR #2601
Back when all those threads that Jamie referenced were posted several of us contacted Thor about the seriousness of this issue. We encouraged them to do a recall. They even checked chassis in their holding lot awaiting coach assembly and found several with the cable resting on the manifold. They did not issue a recall, hence the effort of owners to get the word out through the forum.

I had compiled an Owners' Manual specific to Axis & Vegas from input by owners and my own systems research. That manual contains a section on the problem with the cable & the manifold so that new owners downloading my manual would have this information.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 06-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
No link Ed??

Here is a link to Ed's manual: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

Not sure if I mentioned it in that thread or not but we think we know the exact trip that our cable melted as I could smell it (it happened just prior to or during that thread appearing). We were on our way home driving through Michigan's Upper Peninsula stopped at a scenic overlook--I could smell the rubber melting but couldn't figure out where it was coming from (you could clearly smell it in the RV but there was no other evidence--nothing was abnormally hot and looking all around outside didn't show anything either--even checked the mudflap as that has a tendency to hit the exhaust pipe and melt too..nope). Then I got home and crawled underneath (pics of my cable are in that thread).
Old 06-09-2017, 11:51 PM   #8

THOR #2601
Thanks for posting the link Jamie. We are currently camping at Ft Story FAMCAMP in VA Beach. Just have my "semi"smartphone and was too difficult to copy the link and add to my text.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 06-10-2017, 12:19 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker
Thanks for posting the link Jamie. We are currently camping at Ft Story FAMCAMP in VA Beach. Just have my "semi"smartphone and was too difficult to copy the link and add to my text.
I'd rather be camping than having the ability to post a link enjoy.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:51 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
I am very sorry you had this problem.

Back when the referenced Thread was current, I received an email from THor and they (accidently I am sure) sent me the VIN Numbers of the stripped E350 chassises that were awaiting production that had the problem with the routing of the transmission cable. I sent the info to a gentleman I had been working with at Thor (for some other problems with my Vegas) in hopes it would be looked into.

I guess anyone with a 2014/2015/2016 VEgas or Axis 24.1 might want to crawl up under and take a look. I had mine looked at and they said it was ok, but the techs added some stronger ties to keep it out of the way.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I have a 2016 24.1 on e450, I am going to check it again.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #12

THOR #6698
Thanks mucho!

Thanks for all of the helpful replies. My Axis is at the local Ford dealership having the repairs made. I made sure that the Service Manager and the Service Technician were aware that I needed the shift cable to not come into contact with the exhaust manifold. I'm curious to see what their method of prevention will turn out to be.
Since the coach is also still loaded down with all but our clothes and food, I am having two new tires and a front end alignment added to the bill. I noticed that the front tires were wearing on their inside shoulders when I was on the ground looking at the melted cable issue. I'm going to install my steering stabilizer soon, and this will ensure the install goes well.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #13

THOR #6698
Well, Ford paid for the re-routing and replacement of the shifter cable assembly on my Axis 24.1. It is still under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. They also took care of an issue with the in-dash A/C under warranty.
I had the front end realigned and the front tires replaced, as well. it had way too much negative camber and wore the tires on their inside shoulders pretty bad. That was my only out-of-pocket expense.
And now it is time to get it back home and start the maintenance and modding that I've been wanting to do. Thanks everybody for a wonderful and informative forum!