Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2021, 08:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #24470
New Owner 2021 GeminiTR 23

HI. I am a very new owner and really happy to find this forum. Never having had a rig before I am negotiating what seems like a steep learning curve. My latest unresolved challenge involves accessing and recognizing the tankless water heater by-pass valve. I've attached a couple of pictures I took in the neighborhood of the suspected by-pass valve. I'm needing to know how to bypass the water heater when I get around to sanitizing the fresh water tank (with vinegar or bleach). I sure would appreciate any direction or suggestions that those of you more experienced than I could provide. Thanks and looking forward to being involved with the Gemini community! NOTE- I just noticed that the picture (back of the wh) is shown almost upside down. The red pipe runs perpendicular to the ground as it exits the wh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back of water heater.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	32675   Click image for larger version

Name:	associated piping below wh.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	32676  

Old 08-08-2021, 09:05 PM   #2

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
I don't believe there's a by-pass valve for tankless water heaters. My 2019 Compass 23TR does not have one.
The reason for the by-pass valve is to save gallons of winterizing fluid that would be required to fill the tank versions. For us, the anti freeze goes through the tankless heater and onto the hot water lines. (Which is what you're trying to protect.)
Old 08-08-2021, 09:40 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Sometimes Thor puts the valves in even though they are not needed for tankless water heaters. You can flush bleach solution, vinegar solution, antifreeze and similar through your hot water system without bypass valves.

David
Old 08-08-2021, 09:47 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Found this in a search for winterizing Tankless WH.
It probably would apply to your inquiry…

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...&postcount=103

Winterizing your RV Tankless

“I ran this by Thor for winterizing my 2018 Vegas 24.1, with tankless hot water system, and got approval.
First, I plan on blowing out the system.
Then I will fill my fresh water tank with RV antifreeze, since I never use the tank. Next, I will pump the antifreeze through out the system in both the cold lines and hot, passing through the water heater. Lastly, I will put some in both the gray and black tanks.”

Although further down in the thread, a post reminded him to completely empty tank, that he only needs abt 2 gal of anti-freeze/water mix in his entire system.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:46 PM   #5

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum. There's no by-pass for my tankless water heater.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:07 AM   #6

State: Oregon
THOR #24470
Thanks for your reply. I got 4 prompt replies all of which stated overtly or pointed to the notion that my rig, Gemini TR23, does not have a bypass valve for the hot water heater. And I like that idea. But I'm a bit confused though because the Customer Service person at THOR said distinctly that there was a bypass valve (access through removing an inside drawer), and that it was way important to not allow bleach/vinegar to get into the water heater module. So, I'm thinking that the person at THOR was reading from the wrong section of a reference manual? Sound reasonable but confusing?
Old 08-09-2021, 05:25 PM   #7

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
I'm not sure if Thor was reading from the wrong section of a reference manual. These rigs are all a bit different - each with its own quirks. But if you've looked where they told you to look and couldn't see anything. And now you know MOST tankless heaters do not have a by-pass valve. It sure could be a possibility. Thor customer service is not perfect.
I'm not sure why they were concerned about vinegar or bleach getting into the heater. I pump bleach through the whole water system in the spring and then the pink anti-freeze in the fall. It always goes through the heater. One warning I did see - make sure the tankless heater was turned off (switch on the heater) before you do either. Apparently, the if the heater was on, it could boil or heat the vinegar/bleach and cause problems. (Not sure what the problem would be - but I take no chances.) Just make sure you flush the system with fresh water a couple of times.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #15951
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but my wet bay has a bypass heater. I’m sure others will chime in if this is incorrect

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7045.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	32685