Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #41
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djfred
found the shift cable melted to the exhaust pipe.
Yup a bunch of us had that issue; see here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...rive-2308.html

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:31 AM   #42

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
A week and a half into the shake down. Solar seems to be keeping up with the unknown house batteries.
Biggest complaint we have about the Axis is lack of documentation. A generic owners manual that is very basic. Manuals for the heater, refrig, and A/C but not much else. No wiring diagrams. Awning seems to be wired off the radio fuse and not the one listed in the distribution panel. No 12 volt outlets except one in the cab. I'll modify as I can during our travels but see a lot of work in the mods area this winter.
On the subject of no name house batteries, anyone have any info on Ah rating so I can program the Trimetric battery monitor? All I know about the batteries is they are size 27 and maybe true Deep Cycle rather then hybrid.
Use them this summer and then when we get back in the fall the boat needs new batteries so guess they'll go there.
If it helps, I read on the forum , I believe it was Ed's suggestion, to ask Thor for the following schematics: Inquiry: 1. Fresh Water Layout 2. Sewer Layout 3. Sewer Termination 4. Electric Schematic 5. Coach Harness 6. battery schematic 7. Rear and Side plan showing location of wall studs 8. Dash Radio Harness 9. Radio Pigtail . I made the request online and was sent a email within a couple of days and received them all as PDF files attached to the email.

I also agree that's Ed's manual has been very helpful.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #43
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yup a bunch of us had that issue; see here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...rive-2308.html
Good morning Jamie ! This is off subject, and I apologize, however, when I saw your comment this am, I wanted to ask you a quick question...
which macerator do you use? I think Ron is leaning towards getting one..We see there are several models. Ron is curious about how you attach it, as it is close quarters and difficult, at best, just to get the hose attached with the 45 attachment.

Thanks for any tips you can give him !

We are currently at KOA in Bernalillo (Albuquerque) NM ..
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #44
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb
which macerator do you use?
We don't use any. Just a RhinoFLEX hose connected to a clear 90 at the dump valve.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:43 PM   #45

State: Florida
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepesce View Post
If it helps, I read on the forum , I believe it was Ed's suggestion, to ask Thor for the following schematics: Inquiry: 1. Fresh Water Layout 2. Sewer Layout 3. Sewer Termination 4. Electric Schematic 5. Coach Harness 6. battery schematic 7. Rear and Side plan showing location of wall studs 8. Dash Radio Harness 9. Radio Pigtail . I made the request online and was sent a email within a couple of days and received them all as PDF files attached to the email.

I also agree that's Ed's manual has been very helpful.
I'll give that a try, haven't had time to go through Ed's manual yet.
Found 3 relays bouncing around near the rear wheel well under the water heater. One has a broken wire from improper crimp technique. Some one used wire cutters of all things.

Did get two cigarette style out lets wired in the back below the USB charging station; which won't charge a tablet by the way.

Next project along this line will be move the 12 volt out let from cranking battery to house battery. Also plan to add on off switches to both radios so I don't have to pull the fuse every time we set up at the camp site.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #46

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Scrub,

The 12 volt outlet you put in near the USB Charging Station, is that the one in the back bedroom near the radio?

If so, please send a picture or two and what did you tie it into to get the 12 volts? I have been wanting to put a 12 volt outlet back there but could not figure an easy way to run the power line.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #47
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Not sure where the rear radio is on the newer units: Another "feature" not included in the 2014's--along with the nifty USB charge ports next to the closet.

Never fear, though, I installed USB charge ports all over our Axis. Two in the slide and one in the bedroom near the 120V outlet above the beds. I was able to snake power over from the driver's side reading light (a 2A 5V USB charger really doesn't draw much 12V current--about 1A so it doesn't impact the circuit that much at all).
I did detail the installation of the two over the slide here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...orts-3116.html

The rear installation was essentially the same procedure, just with the reading light instead of the overhead light.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:44 PM   #48

THOR #2142
Jamie,

We have the four bay charging port, but no 12v access (cigarette lighter style)...the only one that is in the unit is on the dashboard.

Would like to have one in the bedroom to run a little "Coffeecup" sized inverter that I found just for the TV if we ever dry camp and want to watch TV after quite time.

Doc

Old 06-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #49

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
[QUOTE=vkb;36494]Good morning Jamie ! This is off subject, and I apologize, however, when I saw your comment this am, I wanted to ask you a quick question...
which macerator do you use? I think Ron is leaning towards getting one..We see there are several models. Ron is curious about how you attach it, as it is close quarters and difficult, at best, just to get the hose attached with the 45 attachment.

We are currently at KOA in Bernalillo (Albuquerque) NM.

See thread below for my installation of a Clean Dump macerator system. It is the second one I have installed in my Vegas and Axis. Works great, easy to install and I have not had an issue with them in over two years.

2016 Axis Clean Dump Installation - Thor Forums
Old 06-07-2016, 03:40 AM   #50
vkb

THOR #3510
[QUOTE=Oneilkeys;36513]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Good morning Jamie ! This is off subject, and I apologize, however, when I saw your comment this am, I wanted to ask you a quick question...

We are currently at KOA in Bernalillo (Albuquerque) NM.

See thread below for my installation of a Clean Dump macerator system. It is the second one I have installed in my Vegas and Axis. Works great, easy to install and I have not had an issue with them in over two years.

2016 Axis Clean Dump Installation - Thor Forums
Thankyou !! We will check it out !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 06-07-2016, 08:23 PM   #51

THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Scrub,

The 12 volt outlet you put in near the USB Charging Station, is that the one in the back bedroom near the radio?

If so, please send a picture or two and what did you tie it into to get the 12 volts? I have been wanting to put a 12 volt outlet back there but could not figure an easy way to run the power line.

Doc
Pretty straight forward, just center the 12 volt assembly about 3 inches below the the USB ports.
Drill two 1 1/8 inch holes for the sockets to go through. Mark the centers carefully. Make a templet if needed first.
I dropped a pair of 10 awg wires down to the converter. There is a DC ground buss, negative, mounted to the left of water heater. For the plus I used the 15 amp fuse that feeds the holding tank heaters; something we will never use. I'll see if I can find the photos I took.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #52
vkb

THOR #3510
usb charger

This may or may not relevant to your conversation...however, I am throwing in this bit of information.

When we were on the road with our truck pulling the toyhauler, we bought an
Energizer 4 port usb charger with a 110 outlet...(inverter) which fit in our cup holder and plugged into the cig. lighter. We still carry it in the truck and brought it along in the motorhome as a backup. It works very well.
Works off the chassis battery, being up front. Very versatile.

Energizer (EN180) 12V 180W Cup Inverter

bought it on Amazon $27

**in addition..I see scrubjaysnest, sez his charging station will not charge his tablet...our station charges phones and iPad with NO problem.

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 06-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #53

THOR #2142
Scrub,

Thanks for the info on your 12 V hook-up.

I sent an email to Thor and requested all schematics for my Vegas 24.1 (by VIN), they sent me 13 different ones. With those drawings and your outline above I believe I have my next project. I'll just have to do it while my DW is not around...she just hates it when I drill holes in "Ms. Enterprise" (she named the unit) as in "...to boldly go".

If you want a copy of the schematics give me your email address or a Private Message and I'll forward them to you.

Doc

Old 06-07-2016, 09:33 PM   #54

THOR #4184
chuckle

Quote:
Scrub,

Thanks for the info on your 12 V hook-up.

I sent an email to Thor and requested all schematics for my Vegas 24.1 (by VIN), they sent me 13 different ones. With those drawings and your outline above I believe I have my next project. I'll just have to do it while my DW is not around...she just hates it when I drill holes in "Ms. Enterprise" (she named the unit) as in "...to boldly go".

If you want a copy of the schematics give me your email address or a Private Message and I'll forward them to you.

Doc
Doc,

I had to chuckle when reading your note. My husband had an unmistakable gleam in his eyes when I handed him the schematics. I think his last words as he left the room were " I wonder how I get the dash board off" I think your wife and I are kindred spirits! Ha Ha
Old 06-08-2016, 12:14 AM   #55
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepesce
I think his last words as he left the room were " I wonder how I get the dash board off"
There are four hidden nuts behind the center section of the dash. You have to reach behind the bottom two corners and unscrew them. The top two are easily removable by first pulling the radio out--then you can see them.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:33 AM   #56

THOR #4184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
There are four hidden nuts behind the center section of the dash. You have to reach behind the bottom two corners and unscrew them. The top two are easily removable by first pulling the radio out--then you can see them.
Thanks Jamie! I'll pass it along and I'm sure it will save him some time.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:48 AM   #57

THOR #2142
Scrub,

Please post the pictures if you find them...I'm a visual learner.

Oh and Sandy, yeah...I want to take the dash off too (to see what is in there and what I can add - maybe a couple of speakers)??? Keep us posted on hubby's recon mission behind the dash.

Doc

Old 06-08-2016, 03:16 AM   #58

THOR #4184
Quote:
Scrub,

Please post the pictures if you find them...I'm a visual learner.

Oh and Sandy, yeah...I want to take the dash off too (to see what is in there and what I can add - maybe a couple of speakers)??? Keep us posted on hubby's recon mission behind the dash.

Doc
Will do ! I know he's planning to get started this weekend. A fatmat arrived a couple of days ago . He's planning on putting that in the dog house to reduce some of the noise. By the way , why do they call it a doghouse?
Old 06-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #59

THOR #2142
Sandy,

My guess is Doghouse is a term from old days when Vans had the engine sitting between the two front seats...kind-a looked like a doghouse. Our big black Lab would never fit in the one in our Vegas 24.1!

Doc

Old 06-09-2016, 02:49 AM   #60

THOR #4184
By the way Doc, Aren't you and your wife from the NC mountains? Have you ever been down to Lake Jocassee? What a beautiful mountain lake. We are headed down in August. A couple of summers ago we drove down there from Asheville taking 26 to 280 thru Brevard. A Beautiful drive in our van not sure how I would feel about it in the Axis. Have you perchance driven that stretch of road and your Axis?