Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #1

Model: Aria 4000
State: Arizona
THOR #15777
New owner of Thor Aria 4000

Hello everyone, I just purchased a week ago and I love this thing. So far not a single issue! The only thing that I hate is the hard memory foam king size mattress, can I get something else that will bend for the slide in and out.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
Congratulations on the new rig!

We disliked the original mattress in our 2018 Aria 3401 so we replaced it with a different memory foam mattress and are much happier.

I'm surprised a bit that you consider the original mattress to be too hard. Our mattress was too soft and I was sinking through it down to the hard platform.

We tried an 11" thick mattress first, but the tilt mechanism didn't handle it well and had to be helped by pulling up on the mattress every time we needed to tilt it.

We now have an 8" medium-firm that works well now that I've cut it down a bit in length and width.

Cutting it down was needed because the mattress space in our rig is not actually residential king (76" x 80") size. The opening between the night stands is actually 73-1/2" and the length from head bracket to foot bracket is around 75". The original mattress was soft enough to be squished into place, but that didn't work as well with the firmer replacement mattress.

Based on our experience, I strongly recommend measuring first, so you'll know whether you can get a standard residential size mattress or will need a custom size.

I also recommend not going more than 8 or 9" thick unless you go with a very soft mattress.

And finally, my limited searching indicated that foam mattresses seem to be the ones most recommended for articulating beds, like hospital beds, so I figure they should also be okay with Tilt-A-View.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #3

THOR #15777
Thank you so much for the info, I will def take your advice to measure first and not get a thick one. How has your rig been treating you? I hope everything still works well with it, is there anything I should look out for?
Old 06-25-2019, 07:28 PM   #4

THOR #12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psrock1 View Post
Thank you so much for the info, I will def take your advice to measure first and not get a thick one. How has your rig been treating you? I hope everything still works well with it, is there anything I should look out for?
My best advice is to put some miles on it and use everything so that you take as much advantage of the factory warranty as possible.

The biggest issues we have are a slight separation of the front cap from the body on the driver's side, the rear A/C stopped cooling, and the full wall slide out just decided to stop working last week.

The rest are fairly minor, like the closet door keeps popping out of the track as we're going down the road.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #5

THOR #15777
Sounds like you’ve been having good luck with it for the most part. What did you do for the separation issue, that doesn’t sound good. Did it leak inside? I’m not sure I understand exactly where it was separating.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #6

THOR #12542
I have an appointment to have the separation looked at in Wakarusa. It's fairly small right now and is on a vertical seam so it doesn't appear to be leaking inside the coach.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #7

THOR #15777
Thank you so much for your help, this is my first RV and I appreciate your advice. I hope you don’t mind my questions. This thing can be a little intimidating. Lol
Old 06-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #8

THOR #15777
Omg, I just looked at mine and it’s doing the exact same thing on the drivers side, it’s separated about a quarter inch from the rubber moulding. Let me know how you make out because it looks like I’ll be doing the same darn thing!
Old 06-25-2019, 08:43 PM   #9

THOR #12542
LOL! They can indeed be intimidating. There is a lot of good information in this forum and the irv2 forum. I hope that you enjoy your new rig.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #10

THOR #12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psrock1 View Post
Omg, I just looked at mine and it’s doing the exact same thing on the drivers side, it’s separated about a quarter inch from the rubber moulding. Let me know how you make out because it looks like I’ll be doing the same darn thing!
I'm sorry to hear that yours has the same issue.

My appointment isn't until November, so it'll be awhile before mine gets fixed. After some awful experiences with local dealer service departments on this and previous RVs, I decided to make the trip to Wakarusa, IN to have the factory service folks handle everything. November is the soonest they can get me in.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:35 PM   #11

THOR #15777
Good idea, probably will be worth the trip.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #12

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum
Old 06-26-2019, 05:30 PM   #13

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
Congratulations on your new rig and welcome.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #14

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
I have an appointment to have the separation looked at in Wakarusa. It's fairly small right now and is on a vertical seam so it doesn't appear to be leaking inside the coach.

Smart move...you will be so happy you did this. They will go over everything on the coach, update some things they may have changed and run it back through the rain test. I did the trip in December and it was worth every mile and every penny I spent!! Do it once...do it right the first time!! Lots to do in Elkhart while you wait.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:00 AM   #15

THOR #10401
Any forums specifically for Aria or Aria 4000 owners? What do you guys use for the tilt a view bed bedding? Out’s constantly come off especially the mattress cover and fitted sheet.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:35 AM   #16

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Congratulations and welcome

Tags
aria