Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2020, 07:59 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: North Carolina
THOR #19382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnandcarols View Post
Can't wait for next weekend's trip out toward Winchester.
Winchester is a nice area. When we head to NY from NC go past there. I love the little town of Staunton. Wednesday we will head up to Sparta NC and then make our way to Gettysburg.

So glad you two had a wonderful time!

P.S. Daisy is beautiful! My Dad had a Springer only more red instead of brown.

Cathy & Kris

Camping- Where Friends & Marshmallows Get Toasted At The Same Time.
2017 Thor Four Winds - wherever the road takes us!
KrisCatNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:20 PM   #22

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Good luck....had a freedom elite for about 6 months....couldn't keep it on the road.....terrible handling. Didn't bother putting on the front and rear sways, the new shocks or the steering stabilizer for about 2500 bucks...just traded it. Just a note of caution that I wish someone would have given me.....Hold on tight and watch for trucks on your left.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:25 PM   #23

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: New York
THOR #15048
Welcome to the Freedom of RVing and having everything at hand with no setting up, bypassing rest area rest rooms and the works.

We have a 2019 26HE and it is perfect for the two of us and two little Pug Dogs.

One thing that will make your trips easier on the highway is a steering stabilizer. They help when Semis pass. 2nd best thing we did.

The other was a HWH hydraulic leveling jack system.

Now we pull in and push a button and we're setup , level and stabilized.

Have a great time!
Old 07-22-2020, 10:12 PM   #24

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Good luck....had a freedom elite for about 6 months....couldn't keep it on the road.....terrible handling. Didn't bother putting on the front and rear sways, the new shocks or the steering stabilizer for about 2500 bucks...just traded it. Just a note of caution that I wish someone would have given me.....Hold on tight and watch for trucks on your left.

Maybe something was amiss with yours. With what did you replace it? I drove my 26HE out west through wind advisories and 80mph speed limits in Arizona Utah Wyoming and Nebraska. Had to pay attention once in a while but never scary.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:45 PM   #25

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: North Carolina
THOR #19382
Welcome John & Carol!! We just did the same I lay with a 2017 Thor Four Winds. Right now we are in Middletown VA for the night then heading to Gettysburg.
Safe travels!!
Camping- Where Friends & Marshmallows Get Toasted At The Same Time.
2017 Thor Four Winds - wherever the road takes us!
KrisCatNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:19 AM   #26
EgV

Model: 22CFreedom Elite. 24&#821
State: Illinois
THOR #4805
Welcome and congratulations! I have a 2012 Freedom Elite 21 C. I love it. It’s the perfect size for 2.. have fun and just enjoy and learn with every trip..
Old 07-23-2020, 02:25 AM   #27

Model: Freedom elite 26HE
State: Wisconsin
THOR #17018
Welcome. We have a 2017 FE26HE and just retired this January. Spent most of June on the road and leaving in August for Northwest. Enjoy the miles.
Drkevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:53 PM   #28

Model: Freedom Elite
THOR #18888
Welcome!

The Freedom Elite is not our first but our first in about 40 years so please do ask all the questions you have. I'm just about 10 weekend trips ahead of you in the exact same model so answers to the "what is this button/knob/switch for?" and "how do I make this do that?" questions are fresh in my brain! Ask away and enjoy!

Tip: Be sure to read every bit of ALL that information you got with it, cover to cover then go back and read it again.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #29

Model: ACE 29D
State: Maryland
THOR #19558
thanks Chris! We are getting there slowly but surely. We ahve read incessantly and have watched nearly every video on the Owners' Resource page too.

This morning the big surprise was from the on board batteries and the refrigerator. I had started the refrigerator last night on LP to get it ready for a trip this weekend. I went in this morning to check on things, and found the battery dead and the refrigerator off (it was still cold so must have just quit). I plugged in to the house, restarted the refrigerator and now things seem ok. I guess my question is whether or not the refrigerator can run on gas and maintain the charge on the battery. I know that the ignition requires electricity to operate but now trying to figure out if I have a problem or not!
2009 SmartCar Toad,the "SMT L80"
Johnandcarols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #30

Model: ACE 29D
State: Maryland
THOR #19558
KrisCatNC you probably are going (or went) right past Leesburg. That is where we are!
2009 SmartCar Toad,the "SMT L80"
Johnandcarols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:51 PM   #31

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
I can do that Bob. Here you go!
Very nice and great looking dog, enjoy
Old 07-24-2020, 06:13 PM   #32

Model: Freedom Elite
THOR #18888
Quote:
thanks Chris! We are getting there slowly but surely. We ahve read incessantly and have watched nearly every video on the Owners' Resource page too.

This morning the big surprise was from the on board batteries and the refrigerator. I had started the refrigerator last night on LP to get it ready for a trip this weekend. I went in this morning to check on things, and found the battery dead and the refrigerator off (it was still cold so must have just quit). I plugged in to the house, restarted the refrigerator and now things seem ok. I guess my question is whether or not the refrigerator can run on gas and maintain the charge on the battery. I know that the ignition requires electricity to operate but now trying to figure out if I have a problem or not!
I used to do the same thing, turn on the house and then the refrigerator the night before and had similar results. The last two weeks I turned on the house and refrigerator early Friday morning for a Friday afternoon departure and no problem. I wonder if a small trickle solar panel on the battery would take care of that concern. Someone here probably has the ultimate answer. They always seem to!

My first thought was “well, there IS space for another battery, maybe I should have more than just one!” But turning it on in the morning and giving it about 6 hours to cool seems to work just fine. My best suggestion for this first season is to learn how everything works as is before adding/fixing/changing anything.

We go to state parks every weekend and I would love to be able to leave the refrigerator on all the time and not tote food back and forth every weekend...it’s on my wish list!
Old 07-24-2020, 06:35 PM   #33

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
If I am camping in a park that does not have at least electric hook up I use propane to run the refrigerator not the batteries. I would never leave a fridge on the battery for more than an hour as it really chews up power, running the genny is the only other alternative for a weekend but they are noisy. Is your fridge a three way (propane, 12 volt or shore power) and if it is, the usual setting is AUTO, not sure what the setting is on a 2 way as have always had a three way fridges.
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
Old 07-24-2020, 07:10 PM   #34

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
If your battery was actually fully charged and if it is a good battery, it should not have been depleted overnight if only the refrigerator was usurping power. When you run the refrigerator on propane, it only require a very small amount of the 12VDC battery power to run the refrigerator control circuit. The propane actually provides the cooling function.
If you were able to plug in to shore power and immediately fire up the fridge again, you might want to check your house batterie(s) with a voltmeter. Few MH charging circuits will allow dead batteries to start charging from shore power. They will usually have to be charged by a separate car charger until they reach a minimum voltage of around 10-11 volts wherein the charging circuit can be used from that point on. So although your fridge and lights, etc.are working, your battery may not be receiving a charge.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:17 PM   #35

Model: quantum SE28
THOR #15598
Welcome

Welcome to this group. Good looking rig and dog. Enjoy your time away from home.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:06 PM   #36

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Any questions or concerns, just ask here and someone will have an answer for you.

Paul
Old 07-29-2020, 01:07 AM   #37

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Welcome to Thor Forums from Louisiana.