Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2018, 09:01 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #12870
Thor, Good - Camping World, Not so Much

We've had our Thor Class C (24ft) for a year now. Short trips and long trips. Minor problems, remember, nothing is perfect. Wife and I both love it. On last 3,000 mile trip got some minor hail damage in So. Dakota. When back home took it to CW for an insurance estimate on the skylight over the shower. They said to leave it with them for an estimate (a 10 minute job!). After 3 weeks of unanswered voice mail messages by me and our insurance agent and several promises to "Let me check out the status and I'll call you back in 15 minutes," we finally drove up and picked up the camper. Without an insurance estimate!
Took it to a private RV service facility and had estimate in minutes. So, Thor RV working just fine. Camping World is off our list!

Old 09-01-2018, 10:15 PM   #22

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
This is my first THOR coach after owning a 2016 Winnegabo ERA Class B. My Thor is a 2018 Siesta 24SS Class C. I have to aagree that a good dealership is key. We had some very minor issues that the dealer repaired. The THOR customer service has been great. I too agree you need to learn to do some repairs with any coach. While it is still under warranty, check everything out in order to get any parts needed before your time expires. The first coach we owned in 2016 was a terrible experience with the dealership. The quality control from Winnebago was extremely poor (in my opinion) with the many repairs that had to be done. After many trips back and forth (and 5 months time) we began to enjoy it. The THOR coach has been just the opposite since we learned from our first coach purchase (do's and don'ts). We went into it with a different attitude and different dealership.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:33 PM   #23

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
In most of those cases the horror is with the dealer. Finding a dealer with a good reputation/good service department is half the battle.

We are very happy with our Thor after 4 years...

Go for it..
I agree with the comment about the dealer with a good reputation. Now if we could find out which ones are good and which are bad. Can't find out unless by experience or word of mouth.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:53 PM   #24
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
I agree with the comment about the dealer with a good reputation. Now if we could find out which ones are good and which are bad. Can't find out unless by experience or word of mouth.
Well there is this:
RV Service Reviews

More people need to post reviews, however.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:01 PM   #25

State: Virginia
THOR #1177
I've had my Thor Challenger 37GT for four years. Thor has given nothing but outstanding advise and help. Dealers keep your coach forever for even the most minor repairs etc. circuit board for dash fans and mirror adjustment..3 weeks. (spoke with Thor rep. part was in stock) Water leak...two weeks...still leaked upon pick up. All warranty work. $4000.00 for warranty is a waste of money. You actually have a house on wheels that just like your stick house needs TLC if you want it to operate correctly. Good Luck and happy camping.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:07 PM   #26

THOR #8432
Quote:
Well there is this:
RV Service Reviews

More people need to post reviews, however.
Well that's a start. And if we could keep records of visits, good or bad, that might help too. I went a little OCBP and bought a hardback Notebook with lots of laminated pages. All the 'stuff' that you get with the RV went in there. Got another Notebook for all the repair slips. Oh yeah, since I like to work on my RV, I add my notes on parts I replaced myself in those pages. Still would like a DVD of the various systems and how they work, if they don't what is wrong...etc. Sometimes those little things get forgotten in my old age.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:27 PM   #27

THOR #10151
RV's - Motorhomes & Trailors

Remember 3 things: 1) reputable dealer, 2) reputable repair shop after warranty, 3) It's an earthquake going down the road. (shimming and shaking is bound to loosen something, etc).
Old 09-02-2018, 01:51 AM   #28

State: Florida
THOR #2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyandcharles View Post
We are heading to CW this Sunday to test drive the 2018 Windsport 34J and hopefully officially the ball rolling on it. We have quote we can do and are comfortable with. Wish us luck lol
You decided to research Thor before deciding, admit to finding horror stories and are still willing to make the purchase. Did enough people tell you what you wanted to hear? I do own a Thor, I don't make up stories, I share experiences. If you do indeed purchase the Thor, especially from CW, I will wish you the luck you are seeking, you will need it.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:14 AM   #29

THOR #10151
Where. What is CW
Old 09-02-2018, 02:53 AM   #30

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
On our 4th motorhome with a couple of TTs before that. This is our first Thor product and we love it. That being said, I am retired and can spend my days fixing the poorest quality RV ever built in the USA. Thor manufacturing is a case study in how not to build a product. Thor has zero quality assurance and seems to rely on the worst dealer network possible, namely Camping World. The only thing worse than Thor quality is Camping World. But, like I said we love the layout and have had no real problems with any of the components or systems used by Thor. Our punch list for repairs started on the test drive and grew to 17 items that were all based on the lack of quality during the manufacturing process. They were all minor and annoying but a quality assurance inspection after manufacture would have found and corrected them. If you buy a Thor, don't use Camping World and be prepared to spend some time fixing all the things you find wrong.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:06 AM   #31

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
On our 4th motorhome with a couple of TTs before that. This is our first Thor product and we love it. That being said, I am retired and can spend my days fixing the poorest quality RV ever built in the USA. Thor manufacturing is a case study in how not to build a product. Thor has zero quality assurance and seems to rely on the worst dealer network possible, namely Camping World. The only thing worse than Thor quality is Camping World. But, like I said we love the layout and have had no real problems with any of the components or systems used by Thor. Our punch list for repairs started on the test drive and grew to 17 items that were all based on the lack of quality during the manufacturing process. They were all minor and annoying but a quality assurance inspection after manufacture would have found and corrected them. If you buy a Thor, don't use Camping World and be prepared to spend some time fixing all the things you find wrong.
Both good calls.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:14 PM   #32

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Delaware
THOR #12773
Thor quality control

Couldn't agree more LT. Keefer. Our new Axis is just what we wanted but coming from a motor family and being an RV brat I knew the work would be just beginnig when we back her in the driveway. I would suggest going over your coach with a fine tooth comb and get what you found as small as it is fixed before driving off lot. Case in point found low tire and valve stem cover missing tire aired and cover replaced. Got home 2 days later checked all tires same tire low. Bottom line screw was in the tire and had to have plugged. Dealer was 3 hours away. Thor is made by hand thus if your handy it is really no problem. As long as the main components are working properly you wil be a proud Thor owner.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:09 PM   #33

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Don't wait until "purchase day" to worry about PDI, etc. Do this on your test drive after you've narrowed down your model to purchase. There's no better time to test everything out for good working order than when you are on "your time". That's also when the sales-goober is still trying to make a sale. Make the list of issues and get a commitment when they will have them repaired. Place a small deposit and tell them you will be back then to take delivery. Add the clause to the Buyer's Order you sign that your deposit will be refunded if they miss the deadline and all repairs are not completed. Your bank will reverse the funding if they refuse. He who holds the money is in control of the deal.
Well that works good except when they make up the sales slip and they 'mistake' the one you want with the one they 'want to sell' and write the slip appropriately. Now then when you read the fine print, you can't take back your deposits (state law) cause you signed the contract, you know and after showing more models the wife gets confused. Solution to this is to take a picture of the VIN and if it's different from the slip, STOP EVERYTHING before you sign anything or put down a deposit! Make sure you tell them "I want this one and this one only! If I come back and it's not ready or its been sold mistakenly or for any reason, they don't get the deposit and the deal is OFF and I'm leaving your place of business". Better you just go to your bank and finance it there instead too, along with the break down insurance. Heck, maybe just buy it at the factory cause the dealers, through my experiance are dishonest. And I don't like waiting weeks to have something fixed when I want to travel. Find a shop with ASE certified mechanics that also works on RVs in a town where you live that won't make you wait too long and also learn as much as you can about simple stuff you can do yourself. And it sure would have been nice to have a DVD made of how to operate everything in your RV cause the show out was much too brief and did not show everything we needed to know. Say how about numbering them on the dvd for where to look? 100 series for the engine and accessorries, 200 for drivetrain, 300 for plumbing, 400 for propane operation... etc. Now that would be nice to use the player on the dash to troubleshoot or to remind yourself of what switch to push. I know, I'm dreaming, but hey why not?
Old 09-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #34
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Well that works good except when they make up the sales slip and they 'mistake' the one you want with the one they 'want to sell' and write the slip appropriately. Now then when you read the fine print, you can't take back your deposits (state law) cause you signed the contract, you know and after showing more models the wife gets confused. Solution to this is to take a picture of the VIN and if it's different from the slip, STOP EVERYTHING before you sign anything or put down a deposit! Make sure you tell them "I want this one and this one only! If I come back and it's not ready or its been sold mistakenly or for any reason, they don't get the deposit and the deal is OFF and I'm leaving your place of business". Better you just go to your bank and finance it there instead too, along with the break down insurance. Heck, maybe just buy it at the factory cause the dealers, through my experiance are dishonest. And I don't like waiting weeks to have something fixed when I want to travel. Find a shop with ASE certified mechanics that also works on RVs in a town where you live that won't make you wait too long and also learn as much as you can about simple stuff you can do yourself. And it sure would have been nice to have a DVD made of how to operate everything in your RV cause the show out was much too brief and did not show everything we needed to know. Say how about numbering them on the dvd for where to look? 100 series for the engine and accessorries, 200 for drivetrain, 300 for plumbing, 400 for propane operation... etc. Now that would be nice to use the player on the dash to troubleshoot or to remind yourself of what switch to push. I know, I'm dreaming, but hey why not?
Simple: Snap a photo or write down the VIN of the one that you decided on during the test drive and verify that the one you're picking up is that VIN. In addition: Make sure the VIN is on the paperwork.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #35

THOR #8432
Quote:
Simple: Snap a photo or write down the VIN of the one that you decided on during the test drive and verify that the one you're picking up is that VIN. In addition: Make sure the VIN is on the paperwork.
Yeah, photoed the interior and front but didn't the VIN or the window sticker. It's all old news now but on the other hand, the only expensive problems for this particular (wheel alignment, wipers under warranty, round table leg missing, a loose wire in the slideout... etc. which Thor or I took care of) was the batteries needed replacing after the 2nd year. Yeah, I also did some adding on in the kitchen myself, removed the sliding door and part of the wall to the bedroom and got a screw loose on the floor in front of the couch that is not important to fix now and will be superglued soon as I can get it ready to travel again. Had to learn about using the TV, setting the channels, resetting the engine symbol light & using the auto lift, which since I traded up from a trailer from a different manufacturer were not the same. Like I said a DVD of how to operate all these systems would be nice if you are a first time buyer or had a different type RV. I didn't include problems about the 'Burr' handi lift but that got parts added to it too to make it right. Silly me. Once I opened of the cargo doors during a campside setup and since the wind wouldn't stop and the door kept wanting to lock, took them out and threw them inside the door, which was supposed to be 'unlocked' and the 2nd set of keys somehow got left behind at home. Embarrasing. Now I have 4 sets of RV keys. One for each vehicle I own and an extra set inside one of the steps. The Ups and Downs of owning an RV. Mostly ups cause the downs ain't too bad for me.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #36

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12158
It is amazing to me how little the dealership knows about the product or how to fix anything. Luckily there’s helpful folks out there in forums like this who will answer your questions from their own experience and trials and errors. Sadly the manual is woefully inadequate also as to how things are supposed to work or how to trouble shoot anything. I argued for a couple weeks with the service manager at Campers Inn about how the three TV’s in our 2016 Outlaw wouldn’t work until I read about a tiny almost invisible button on the cable jack cover plate was pushed in to activate the HD antenna and voila ! Lots of TV channels appear. Such a simple thing that the dealer didn’t know about and was not in the manual. Thanks Thor Forums !!
Old 09-02-2018, 08:23 PM   #37

State: Arkansas
THOR #6859
We've had our Axis for almost two years now. We bought it barely used. We've had a few minor issues, but, by and large, we've found solutions to every one of them on this forum. Some before we knew they were problems, lol. The bottom line is, we love our coach. I take it by myself on trips (1200 miles each way) occasionally, because we've had such great experiences with it. We had a 30' pull behind for several years, and a pop-up before that. The Axis is hands down my favorite. If we ever get rid of it, it will likely to be to get a new Thor.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:02 AM   #38

Model: Freedom Elite 24FE
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12891
Quote:
We are heading to CW this Sunday to test drive the 2018 Windsport 34J and hopefully officially the ball rolling on it. We have quote we can do and are comfortable with. Wish us luck lol
Your going to love it, we started over 40 years ago with a pop-up and 5 motor homes since we still love it and just bought a brand new Freedom Elitie 23fe from CW, it was an interesting experience. This weekend was our shake down cruise and now the sit down with CW to get every thing taken care of. Every motor home has problems, just like a car, but it is still the best way to see the country.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:24 AM   #39

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
How did it go?

Bettyandcharles, how did it go?
Old 09-04-2018, 12:38 PM   #40
dfh

State: Florida
THOR #10746
2018 Thor Windsport 34J

Quote:
We are looking into a 2019 Thor Hurricane 34J and have so many horror stories about Thor quality. I think most people don't get online and post how happy they are with something and only get on to post how unhappy they are with things. So I'd appreciate anyone's insight to the quality of the Thor motorhomes. Thanks in advance
Your right about the reports. I bought a 2018 Windsport 34J new and the manufacturing faults were too numerous to list. After they are finally fixed the rig seems to be OK. My recommendation would be don't give the dealer a nickel until ALL of the items are fixed. We've had ours 7 months and I'm still are trying to get all the remaining items fixed. My bad