Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #12734
New to the RV scene

We are looking into a 2019 Thor Hurricane 34J and have so many horror stories about Thor quality. I think most people don't get online and post how happy they are with something and only get on to post how unhappy they are with things. So I'd appreciate anyone's insight to the quality of the Thor motorhomes. Thanks in advance

Old 08-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
You're spot on in your assessment of Thor. Lots of happy campers out here. I read all this crap before I went the Thor route and I would do it again. I could go on and on about the "theory of RV's" but don't have the time (someone will) and you've already heard it all. Jump in and don't look back!! We love our coach and have had nothing serious happen so far...but if it did...I'll fix it and keep lovin' on down the road.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Colorado
THOR #12314
I agree, I asked a question in a thread on another forum and wished I didn't mention the word Thor, I got more opinions based on what people read about Thor (nobody actually owned a Thor) then I did answering my question. The bad thing is months later that thread keeps popping up.

Every brand will have issues straight off the lot, unfortunately that's the RV industry today. As for our Thor, we love it, the wife still mentions that we have less space and I'm like Oh well. LOL,

Go for what you like, there will be bumps in the road but RVing gets addicting and very fun.
Calhan, CO
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
In most of those cases the horror is with the dealer. Finding a dealer with a good reputation/good service department is half the battle.

We are very happy with our Thor after 4 years...

Go for it..
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #5

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
In most of those cases the horror is with the dealer. Finding a dealer with a good reputation/good service department is half the battle.

We are very happy with our Thor after 4 years...

Go for it..

^ that is true.
We love ours
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our little nest of mis-fits!
The folks who are happy with their rigs are just too busy having fun; to post in here!

And there are some folks out there who wouldn't be happy if you gave them a basket full of hundred dollar bills: they'd complain about the weight of it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #7

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
Welcome to the forum!
Looking back after almost a year with our Thor the best advise I can give you is research the dealer, not so much the brand of the RV. Finding and supporting (so they stick around) a GOOD dealer/service center is far more important than the brand coach you choose.
And for the record at a year in we love our Thor, headed North Sunday morning!!!
Old 08-26-2018, 12:05 AM   #8

THOR #12734
Working on a Windsport 34J

We are heading to CW this Sunday to test drive the 2018 Windsport 34J and hopefully officially the ball rolling on it. We have quote we can do and are comfortable with. Wish us luck lol
Old 08-26-2018, 01:25 AM   #9

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
You've gotten the real down low info above. We've put 52k+ miles on our coach over the last 3.5 years. Have we had problems, yep. Have we fixed the problems, yep. When you consider that a house is built on a truck chassis that runs down the highway at 65+ mph with some very rough surfaces, you begin to understand how things aren't always exactly right.

However, our coach has been the center piece for spending 4 summers with grandkids traveling around the USA. Also, we spend 2-3 winter months each year dry camping in Key West. So the issues have been worth the price of admission. Feature for feature like basement storage, on board fresh/gray/black water tanks, voltage converters/AGS, layout (1.5 bath specifically and kingbed) are simply not available in most of other gassers or diesels. Take a look at some of our other threads - Love our Challenger, Another Summer, etc to see the total utility that we have gained from our ownership. We love the life of vagabonds.

Finally, this forum has been the best resource for solving issues as you bump into them in your travels. Come back often.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:51 AM   #10

State: Washington
THOR #6433
As someone that’s had a horror story, being a water leak that caused mold in the front bunk of class C I would say this. It sucks that everything wasn’t perfect leaving the factory. What was worse was four times I had to bring it to the dealer to fix it. That being said I wouldn’t change my choice now matter. Basically the problems we had could happen with any brand and you just don’t know. We got the floor plan that we loved in our Freedom Elite. My hope of buying brand new was that I would have a few years Before I had to work on it mainly because I have a 5 and 2 year old and time is limited. That being said I wouldn’t change my decision, having owned boats and classic cars in the past I expect to work on them. If you have a life though that you can afford to buy a MoHo then you have.a good life
Old 08-26-2018, 11:36 AM   #11

Model: Miramar
THOR #2350
Two pop-ups, three 5th wheels(2 new) and four motor homes and 46 years of RVing. You might say that I have had my share of RVs. If I have learned anything about new RVs (any brand), they all have problems initially. Forget most dealers for maintenance and repairs. 3 or 4 weeks out of service for a repair that takes a couple of hours, and then it's still not fixed seems to be the norm. If you know of a good reliable one then by all means use them. Before your bumper to bumper warrant runs out, schedule a visit to the manufacturer's maintenance facility (wherever it is, you bought the RV to travel, didn't you?) send them a list of faults that need attention and enjoy free camping in their campground while they take care of your "punch list. I did this with both my HR Endeavor and my Thor Miramar and it was a very pleasant experience with great results in both cases. After the warranty, if you can do it yourself you'll probably get better results than if the dealer "fixes" it. Just Saying!

BTW, We are very happy with our 2016 Miramar after 3 years.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
oversaxed - spot on!!!
Old 08-27-2018, 12:17 AM   #13

THOR #12734
I still have a few years before retiring lol, so it will mostly be weekend trips for now and maybe some short vacations. We will be picking it up this week after they fix the little minor things like a draw not flash against cabinet and a scratched door. I'm sure we'll find other things hopefully they will also easy fixes. Went through everything top to chassis.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:44 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Welcome to a world where opinions are as diverse as its members.

One of the forum members put together a checklist for Vegas/Axis RVs but it can be adapted for other RVs. Good thing for making sure all the "I's" are dotted and "T's" are crossed before accepting your RV. Also good for downline reference.

The link to Ed's handy work is the second "Sticky" in the Motorhome Tech section.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:26 AM   #15

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
A thorough walk through at time of delivery can prevent a ton of issues. List every thing you see no matter how minor and don't let them rush you. Read everything you can about your model and develop a check list. I would place a condition of purchase on all items repaired to your satisfaction prior to delivery and within a 2-3 week time frame. Lastly, don't wait until a month before a planned trip to purchase. Once you drive it off their lot you can expect 3 to 6 week wait just to get it in for repairs and 3-4 weeks in the shop. Ours spent a total of 4 months at the dealers for very minor repairs the first year. And I would buy it all over again. Absolutely love the little beast.

Good Luck and Happy Travels
Old 08-28-2018, 02:25 AM   #16

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #12170
Welcome from a fellow Tennessean! We are near Chattanooga. We just bought ours in June. Minor fit and finish issues, all major components work great. Going to get a front end alignment and we should be good to go. My wife loves it.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
We are on our third Thor motorhome. I have learned that attitude along with managed expectations is key to having a great experience with your RV. As has been stated a good relationship with your dealer is very important. I think that those who have a successful, love relationship their RV must be able to troubleshoot and do themselves, some of the inevitable problems that will come up. Thats where this forum comes in. This forum is the best source of correct help and advise I have found.
Recently I went to the Thor, Hurricane website to check out the 2019s. I found it interesting the review that Thor chose to display. I believe that this review is Thors business model. When I read it, I thought that it was close to how I feel about our Motorhome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_01.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	12497  
Old 08-28-2018, 01:16 PM   #18

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Don't wait until "purchase day" to worry about PDI, etc. Do this on your test drive after you've narrowed down your model to purchase. There's no better time to test everything out for good working order than when you are on "your time". That's also when the sales-goober is still trying to make a sale. Make the list of issues and get a commitment when they will have them repaired. Place a small deposit and tell them you will be back then to take delivery. Add the clause to the Buyer's Order you sign that your deposit will be refunded if they miss the deadline and all repairs are not completed. Your bank will reverse the funding if they refuse. He who holds the money is in control of the deal.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #19

THOR #7642
We’ve had more than our fair share of problems but hopefully the worst has past. Maybe it was built right before a holiday and they were in a rush but I’m trying to be optimistic. I will say there are some great groups on FB specific to your rig and folks have been super helpful with help on issues and many seem happy and share their photos and good times. This forum has a large audience and a vast expanse of topics and complaints by people.

At the end of the day, Thor has the market share so bound to have issues...but as I have learned they all do, just some worse than others. Enjoy your Rig and HAPPY RV’ing!!! Best wishes on your new coach.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #20

State: Ohio
THOR #11575
We enjoy our 2018 Thor Windsport 34J. Bought it last April and it’s our first. Since then the sink fell down, the slide out won’t slide in or out, the rear view camera has no signal, the sink in outdoor kitchen continued to back up until I installed a new check valve. Getting into any rv repair shop is a long wait especially if you did not buy from that dealership. Other than that we keep going down the road.