Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2016, 02:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Dakota
THOR #5513
Freedom Elite 26He RVers

We just got our 26HE and would love to know how everyone's enjoying their RV ? First upgrade is a foam mattress pad and just ordered a Steering Stabilizer

Old 09-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #5563
Thor Freedom Elite 26HE

We just bought 2017 Freedom elite 26 HE four weeks ago. Just got out of shop for front end alignment with cam adjustment. Now we are having problem with steering. Looks like steering stabilizer is next. Any suggestions on what we should buy? Have not ready driven far yet. Help....
Old 09-28-2016, 12:54 AM   #3

THOR #5513
Will install soon and taking a trip this weekend. Will update if I think it helps. Will be pulling my 20' boat as well. http://www.etrailer.com/p-RM-RBK11-RSSC.htm
Old 09-28-2016, 11:05 AM   #4

THOR #5563
Thor Freedom Elite 26HE

Enjoy your trip and thanks for the reply.
Furnace is messing up now so back to shop.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:55 AM   #5

THOR #5583
Gas mileage on 26he

I'm trying to figure out MPG on mine. I haven't driven much. What's yours like?
Old 09-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #6

THOR #5563
Mpg

They say 8.5 MPG. We haven't gone any distance either. Only had for a month and so far. Going this weekend maybe I can get an idea of MPG>
Old 10-10-2016, 01:52 AM   #7

State: Illinois
THOR #5290
I put in a steering stabilizer. The coach drives much better. The steering wheel does vibrate so I think it needs to be aligned. In the summer with the air on in the heat i got about 6 mpg. Now in the colder weather I get about 8.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:53 AM   #8

State: Arizona
THOR #5791
Is it typical to need a steering stablizer and alignment with a new RV? How much does it cost to have the stabilizer installed and does the alignment come with the warranty? Im looking for a Quantum Four Winds or maybe a Freedome Elite. I like all of them
Old 10-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDesert119 View Post
Is it typical to need a steering stablizer and alignment with a new RV? How much does it cost to have the stabilizer installed and does the alignment come with the warranty? Im looking for a Quantum Four Winds or maybe a Freedome Elite. I like all of them
Stabilizer depends on how you feel the coach handles. Alignment, yes all RVs should have the alignment checked after it is loaded and ready for the road. The first step to the alignment is to load the coach and have it weighted (preferably 4 corner weights) and then set the tire pressure to the recommended PSI based on weight. Some Ford truck centers will not perform an alignment under warranty unless there is a valid fault within the front suspension that requires repair. Others will perform a one time alignment under warranty depending on the justification you provide. You can also make the alignment a condition of sale in hte purchase offer which the dealer can accept or reject.

Best advice, take the coach on a good test drive to include city and highway and if you don't like the way it handles don't buy it. If the dealer doesn't want to allow a minimum 25 mile test drive walk away from that dealer. Bottom line is if you buy something that handles lousy it is your fault for not taking the test drive or purchasing without an adequate test drive.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #10

State: South Carolina
THOR #6691
Can you give more information on the steering stabilizer. We just purchased a thor 26he. It drives ok, but the steering seems loose. Meaning you have to turn the wheel more to control direction.

Thanks in advance, Jere and Donna in Charleston SC
Old 04-01-2017, 09:00 PM   #11

State: Florida
THOR #6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Page View Post
They say 8.5 MPG. We haven't gone any distance either. Only had for a month and so far. Going this weekend maybe I can get an idea of MPG>

We get 8.5 miles to gal. We have about 2000 miles on it.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #12

THOR #6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
Can you give more information on the steering stabilizer. We just purchased a thor 26he. It drives ok, but the steering seems loose. Meaning you have to turn the wheel more to control direction.

We put a stabilizer on and it is great.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:05 PM   #13

THOR #6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfx77 View Post
I put in a steering stabilizer. The coach drives much better. The steering wheel does vibrate so I think it needs to be aligned. In the summer with the air on in the heat i got about 6 mpg. Now in the colder weather I get about 8.

If it pull the stabilizer needs adjustment. The mechanic at CW worked with us to get it perfect. Your may vibrate because of that.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:35 AM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
We only have about 800 miles on our new 26HE and I have no complaints about how it drives. I'm having it aligned this week only because everyone, including Thor, says I should. Haven't made up my mind about a steering stabilizer. Certainly seems to get a lot of positive reviews. Going on a long drive west soon and that'll be the test, I guess.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:55 AM   #15

THOR #6491
Steering stabilizer

We have freedom elite 2017 HE
We put on stabilizer Safe-T-Plus P-30.
We drove it and they adjusted it while we waited. Took about 3 times testing and got it perfect to where no pulling in wheel. My husband says big truck etc passing is better. Less play in wheel.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:25 PM   #16

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post

Go to YouTube and search Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, watching the videos will give the best explanation of how it works. STP was designed by a trucker.