Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2020, 01:52 AM   #41
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Axis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmuffoletto View Post
We are going to be new RVers and are considering a Thor Axis. Would love to here thoughts from Thor owners.
We have a 2019, 27.7, love it. We wanted the floor plan same reasons as you that's why we chose this model. Drives and handles great. Did change the front and rear stabilizer bars, that's it tho. It hasn't been in storage a month yet and I miss it already. I have to wait till next May at the earliest to go anywhere.

Old 12-13-2020, 02:07 AM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24.1 Axis
State: Minnesota
THOR #15131
We first found the Axis 24.1 on Utube and watched quite a few videos. Our age and ailments led us to buying an RV with twin beds that didn't force us to crawl anymore. As for the rest...we liked the length at 25-1/2', microwave location up higher in our year model, the couch and captains chairs, three burner stove top, 3 TVs, and the fact that we could use the entire camper without kicking out the slide. The V-10 is good for everything we need. The radio is a weak point. It drives like a smaller RV so my wife feels confident in driving it if something happens to me. We really love it for our needs.

I shopped RVTRADER.COM for a 2016 Axis 24.1 and found five across the USA with low miles. The closest was about 90 miles away. I called and told them that I was interested in the unit but not for the advertised price. They called back with a price reduction of. $10,000. We drove there, looked it over completely, drove it and bought it. It had 11,400 miles on it at3 years old and was like brand new. Paid $58,500 instead of $104,000 for a new one.

We wanted the 2016 because the microwave was above the countertop and stove instead of down by the floor and because we wanted a regular, not a demand, hot water heater.

Good luck with your decision [emoji1783][emoji631]
Old 12-13-2020, 02:25 AM   #43

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
Middle of the winter is the best time to buy to get a deal but only with a dealer who has them in stock, might be worth a road trip to see who has what in stock, you should be able to search on line for dealers and see what their inventory is, they need to keep those rigs rolling out the door to stay in business, My 2017 25.4 is 27 foot bumper to bumper and I think they had 4 different floor plans that year, I have the AXIS an I looked at the ACE and they were the same except for the front cap, the dealer in San Diego had theirs listed at $115,000.00 and I found the exact same coach in the Los Angles area for $84,000.00 and they offered to fly me up if I bought it, they gave me a quote on a e mail to bring with me in case the sales man was not there when I arrived and I took it to the local dealer in San Diego and said match it or I will need to book a flight, I got them down on the extended warranty and throw in a spare tire and wheel and made the deal, I can see the dealers in your area not wanting to get stuck with inventory sitting around all winter, if you find one take your time to look them over, pull out some drawers and look behind them for left overs, pull the mattress up and look in the access area for all the electrical to see if it lives up to your expectations, have them run everything and good luck shopping
Old 12-13-2020, 04:09 AM   #44

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Washington
THOR #15944
We have a 2016 Vegas that we bought used in like new condition and love it, minor problems only. I upgraded the sway bars, added a steering stabilizer and replaced the shocks and it now drives great.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:43 AM   #45

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
We purchased a 25.2 new March of 2016 have just a little less than 40,000 miles. Once you get the bugs worked out of it when it's new it really turns out to be a lot of fun. The people on this form excellent for help if you ever do need it. Hopefully you can find a floor plan that's best for you . Welcome to the Thor family.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:56 AM   #46

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
Welcome to the party.

We have a 2018 Axis 25.4. JamieGeek's comments are spot on. Do read that manual. We printed it out and keep it in a binder in our rig. It has saved our hide several times.

We've had a bit of a love-hate relationship with our Axis. Most of our frustrations have come from the apparently inevitable construction quality issues that seem to go with owning any RV. We didn't realize they would be so common. Due to life happenings and covid we haven't been out as much as we had planned when we bought it, so seem to get small doses of new problems.

We've tried to embrace our trips and the RV's foibles with the attitude that whatever goes wrong is a learning and character building experience. Later we've been able to laugh about them all; our "adventures, misadventures, and comic near catastrophes".

Although my initial comments may seem like we're not that thrilled with the rig, actually we really do love it when things are going right, which truly is 95+% of the time.

There is plenty of cab space and ample leg room for our long legged comfort. We passed up many models because we just found the cab too cramped for us.

Love the view from the big windshield. After all seeing the sights is one of the big reasons we take these trips.

We love the layout. It is quite well thought out.

There is plenty of space for the 2 of us (and even 3 or 4 when our adult children have come along on a trip).

What sold me/us on this particular model is the generous (in comparison to most RV's this size) kitchen counter space. We both cook and have enough room to manage without being in each other's face.

Closet and cabinet space is ample for our needs. Really we could pare down some of the stuff we have stored and not miss it a bit. Probably will eventually do that as we figure out what is truly essential.

What we would change if we could:
1.) Wish there was a bit more basement space or the compartments were a bit bigger.
2.) We're still trying to decide if we want to give up the jack-knife sofa for a 2 person dinette bunK set-up. I'm not totally in love with sitting side by side on the sofa to eat. Yet, it is nice to have an easily accessible extra bed for 2 if we don't or can't put the slide out for some reason.
3.) Three TVs is nuts, a total useless waste, but that is us personally. We are brainstorming how to remove the outside one and use the space for an outdoor fold out counter/table and pegboard to hold grill tools since it is next to the propane feed for our grill.
4.) My husband says his legs get a bit fatigued after driving for a long time. He feels like the seat slopes down in a way that he doesn't really like. I have not found that a problem. but he tends to take issue with many car seats too. He's still trying to figure out the best seat cushion for his comfort.

So that's our 20 cents worth. Join the party and come along on the fun.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:16 AM   #47

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Post 287 in my signature thread shows how I increased the size and weight capacity of two(so far) of my bins.
And
I added a bin.
Someone else here added a bin just under the passenger side mirror. There's a LOT of room up there under both mirrors. So for the cost of a door, about 70 bucks, and a small amount of time building a box, you'll add about 3sqft on each side.

And
I hated those seats. We were shopping for f150 king ranch seats and about to pay a verified crap-load for them.
In the meantime I put half inch spacers between the seat and the seat frame, just the front two bolts.
I'm very very happy with the stock seats now. From your description your husband has the same dislike as I did.
Stacked washers and about 20 minutes per seat and were no longer looking for new seats.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:26 AM   #48

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #20290
Thanks Duckface.

That washer solution for raising the seat fronts sound like a perfect idea. Sometimes the simplest things in life are the best. DH is plenty handy. I'll pass that along to him and bet he might end up a really happy camper.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #49

State: New York
THOR #21517
Question 2018 Thor Axis 25.3

My name is Matt and my wife and I live in upstate NY.
We bought our unit used in July 2020 with 9500 miles, this is our first.
We have taken a few shake down trips of increasing distance.
We are traveling south and west this year, Covid permitting.
A concern I have is the lack of a spare tire.
Does any sane person travel without a spare?
How does that work if you have a tire issue?
If I pick up a spare, where do I carry it?
Old 12-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #50
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSull View Post
Congratulations Welcome to the site Matt.

You can search around here there are quite a few people who have added spare tire carriers to their units (either by hanging off the hitch or putting it between the frame rails in back).

So far we've been ok for 6 years now without a spare.

With new units Ford offers roadside assistance (and our RV insurance also offers roadside assistance so all we have to do is call a # and wait and wait and wait).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:35 PM   #51

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
We have a 2016 24.1 and tow a drag car all over Southeast on open trailer. Going on 5 years and 34,000 miles and it has proven to be a solid unit. Small enough to go anywhere.

The 3 TVs does seem like overkill but turns out during trips in cooler weather the outside TV get most use.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #52
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Welcome from a fellow upstater!
The issue with carrying a spare comes down to personal choice...
How much cargo capacity can you afford to lose to the tire/wheel, and jack combination?
I'll rely on roadside assistance for my tire troubles...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:00 PM   #53

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Matt:

I have a new Axis 24.1 on order and have been following a couple of threads on this subject. This is what I have found:

95% of motorhomes do not carry a spare tire. They rely on roadside assistance to fix or replace a ruined tire. This can often take half a day or longer if the service company does not have a suitable tire in stock.

Some carry spare tires without a rim, others a fully mounted tire and rim. A tire only is almost as good since probably 95% of problems do not destroy the rim and most service trucks can mount your tire in place of a ruined one.

The Axis tire is 16" which makes the weight and size tolerable to carry and wrestle with to carry one on board. There are two ways of carrying a tire, mounted on a rim or not, on an Axis 24.1. The easiest is to slide it into the aft hatch. Most say that it won't fit, but some say it will with some minor modifications. The other way is to bolt cross members- Unistrut or aluminum angle, underneath in front of the bumper. The tire can be wedged in there possibly with a center support.

Another way to deal with nails and similar is to use a can of pressurized sealant with a plug that you push into the nail hole. This isn't the best solution. The better solution is to remove the tire and patch the leak from inside. That is what all tire shops have told me when I bring in an auto tire for repair.

If you are healthy and handy you can replace the tire yourself if you have one on board. It takes a heavy bottle jack (or hydraulic leveling jacks installed) and a 1/2" or bigger breaker bar and appropriate socket. Like I said the Axis tire is small and light enough to make this DIY thing possible. Oh and you need a high pressure air compressor to pump it back up, but most MHs carry one as a matter of course whether they have a spare or not.

Finally a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) can be a life saver. Some say that it comes standard with a new Axis, we will see. But they can be added. The TPMS warns you of low tire pressure before it gets too low and tears up the tire. With the warning you can pump it up which might get you to a service place or fix the leak with a plug before it tears up the tire.

So I will have to see how a spare tire will fit on my new Axis when I get it, but I do plan to carry one and the appropriate tools to change it myself.

David
Old 12-14-2020, 02:06 PM   #54

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Got our vegas 25.6 in August. Drove 1100 miles from Texas to Montana, took 5 smaller trips around montana ..now total 3000 miles to shake out. Did a word doc of 40 items to address..mostly small, the dealer is working on each under warranty..Travel with husband wife 2 goldens..we love it! Will do 10 to 15 trips next year.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:19 PM   #55

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Here’s a photo of my spare...
(Use the SEARCH function to view other options)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22DEF867-C159-4488-A31B-CFDDA20445C4.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	27635   Click image for larger version

Name:	E5B07B9E-F5C4-4AA8-8AD8-F19A481CD05D.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	27636  

Old 12-14-2020, 04:51 PM   #56

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...&postcount=229

The spare for my 2018 24.1 fits in the left rear hatch just fine.
I think maybe those who say it doesn't fit haven't tried or didn't measure diagonally and then didn't try, or somewhere Thor changed the 24.1 Floorplan.
I can lift mine in and out with an inch or so of clearance on each side.

The other things in the picture are:
Ryobi battery powered tire inflator
Ryobi battery powered 3 gallon wet/dry vac
The hose for my macerator
A folding picnic table with tiny little chairs.
(there are jumper cables and another hose and an extension cord rolled up inside the wheel under that table. When you fill the wheel 'basket' with things it's surpring how little space the tire takes up.)

The link is to a picture of the spare within my signature thread.
Attached Images

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #57

State: Texas
THOR #13374
I'm certain this has another thread somewhere, but my 2014 Thor Axis has a skin problem; the seats are peeling. I'm all set to replace the sofa with recliners, but does anyone know what brand Thor used, so I don't repeat the problem?
Old 12-15-2020, 07:27 PM   #58

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmuffoletto View Post
We are going to be new RVers and are considering a Thor Axis. Would love to here thoughts from Thor owners.
I got a 2017 Axis 25.2 in July of that year. The following May I traded it in for a 2018 Windsport 29m. The Axis was just too small. I love our new king size mattress, the full side slide out and the dinette. We replaced the awful sofa with a pair of powered recliners and many upgrades and mods. Could not be happier with it. Axis seemed big at first but got smaller and smaller each month we had it. Do yourself a favor and look at something bigger, even if it means borrowing money to get what you want, "THE FIRST TIME" !!!!! P.S. Have a look at the Freedom Traveler 27 or 30. Much nicer than the Axis and about the same price for the 27 foot Traveler...Bob Trice
Old 12-15-2020, 07:37 PM   #59

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
RoadMaster makes a tire rack that goes into your receiver hitch. I got one for my 2018 Windsport 29m in preparation for a month long trip from NC to California and back. Not had the first flat, so guess it's been worth it---LOL Bob & Wendy Trice
Old 12-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #60

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
2019 Vegas....Roadmaster Spare Carrier / Ford OEM wheel / tire and cover.Click image for larger version

Name:	20201030_122456.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	27657