Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: South Carolina
THOR #21487
Question HELP! And A.C.E. 27.1 Questions<<----

OK... Running out of time. (Yeah, REALLY!)

I've been thinking about an RV for a while. Last week I started getting Serious and starting digging hard to figure out what I Need. I'll List them.

1. 2 Person Rig
2. Class A
3. 30' will work
4. As New As Possible.
5. 30-50k

What I found was a 2014 27.1 Thor. So I drove 2 hours to go look at it. Yes, the Captains Chairs are Peeling (no big deal). 34k miles, super clean. The owners are Ready it Move It. (but what I've Read on the Thor's is Not So Good! Many New Owners Not Happy about Quality of the Rig.)

What I Did Not Do! Discuss this with my GF, who is still working and can't see Retirement. We do not Live together.

After looking at the Thor, I told the Couple "I'll Get Back To You"! So I'm contemplating "Make an Offer But I need to talk to Susan/GF FIRST! Well, after a couple of Scotch and H20's I sent a Text. "What Do You Think About Buying a Motorhome" and I sent the Thor information. Her Response was "NOPE". So I didn't say anything else about it until Wednesday when she came to my house for Dinner. I asked her, why she said "NO". Her reply was "I just don't think we'd use it and if I was going to Buy anything It Would Be Another Boat". (we both have owned big boats for 20 years) Boats Cost Money! Slip Fee, Insurance, Up Keep to the tune of $600 to $1500 a Month. I told her "Well, a Motorhome won't have a Slip and the Insurance Cost is $75 a month". She goes back to the "Well, I'm Still Working...". And she says the 27.1 is SMALL!

My thoughts are BUY IT, Load up on Friday and ROLL on Down The Highway and Back to Work On Monday. (Yes, I am 95% Retired.) Your Opinion on Weekend trips?

Any Concerns on the 2014 27.1 A.C.E.?

What About The Roof? My driveway is loaded with Pine Trees!

(I am a Hands on Guy so I can do almost anything.)

Last but not Least "BUY the 27.1 Or NOT? Discuss it with her and try to convince her or just "Do What The Hell You Want Too"! Wemen!

Old 12-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Greetings

How did you find the 27.1
RVTRADER.COM, etc

Is this the first RV you've looked at

Talk to Susan!
Old 12-11-2020, 04:29 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!
If a boat is, "a hole in the ewster into which one throws money": RVs have that exact same relationship with the woods!
If your lady-friend is against it: you've got a tough row to hoe: good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:39 PM   #4

THOR #21487
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Greetings

How did you find the 27.1
RVTRADER.COM, etc

Is this the first RV you've looked at

Talk to Susan!

Yes, RV Trader.

Yes, this is the Only Unit I've looked at. I've read and studied info on the FR3's and honestly I'd rather buy an FR3 but there's not any close (2 hours).

There appears to be a Lot 2000-2004 36' to 40' units at "fair" prices but I do not want a unit so freaking big that I wouldn't use it and I'm concerned with problems that a 20 year old unit will have.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Never, Ever by the first rig you look at.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:14 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1607706886
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	63
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	27579  
Old 12-11-2020, 05:15 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyOldGuy View Post
My thoughts are BUY IT, Load up on Friday and ROLL on Down The Highway and Back to Work On Monday. (Yes, I am 95% Retired.) Your Opinion on Weekend trips?
Except for a 2 week vacation in summer, this is what those of us that are still working full time and have kids in school do. I'm in that category. It works. Holiday weekends, you can get an extra day, but have to make reservations very early (now) because those of us that are working full time and have kids fill the places up.

Quote:
Last but not Least "BUY the 27.1 Or NOT? Discuss it with her and try to convince her or just "Do What The Hell You Want Too"! Wemen!
Any signs of roof damage? Water damage? If so, say "NO." Do all systems work? Does it need tires? Brakes? Engine repairs? Those things might not stop you necessarily, but are things you should know. If there aren't any serious issues and you like the floorplan and your GF likes the floorplan (!!) then it's worth consideration.

Also as to the GF: Do you like her? How tolerant is she of you not listening at all to her opinion? You might want to rent one and do a weekend trip with her to try to convince her before dropping a load of money ...
Old 12-11-2020, 05:36 PM   #8

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Rule #1 the first rv you buy will be the wrong one.
Rule #2 no one has ever violated rule #1

Enjoy looking
Old 12-11-2020, 05:43 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
atreis has a very good idea: try renting one first, and she what she thinks of it!
Old 12-11-2020, 05:52 PM   #10

THOR #21487
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Except for a 2 week vacation in summer, this is what those of us that are still working full time and have kids in school do. I'm in that category. It works. Holiday weekends, you can get an extra day, but have to make reservations very early (now) because those of us that are working full time and have kids fill the places up.

Any signs of roof damage? Water damage? If so, say "NO." Do all systems work? Does it need tires? Brakes? Engine repairs? Those things might not stop you necessarily, but are things you should know. If there aren't any serious issues and you like the floorplan and your GF likes the floorplan (!!) then it's worth consideration.

Also as to the GF: Do you like her? How tolerant is she of you not listening at all to her opinion? You might want to rent one and do a weekend trip with her to try to convince her before dropping a load of money ...

Yes... I'm well aware of Do Not Buy The First One.

I did not find any Red Flags on the Thor (Leaks, Soft spots, Oil, etc). It does have New Tires and they installed a Steering Stabilizer about 200 miles ago. Didn't check the brakes. (Father Died and Mom is giving them a Newer Rig is the reason for Selling.) After Sailing a 34' boat for 10+ years I'm perfectly at home on a 30' rectangle box w/wheels. (GF was a Powerboter, and a 50' Powerboat is LARGER than the 27.1!)

The Seller is Almost at Low Retail and so we're only off about 4k. The cost of the Tires and Stabilizer was $2700.00.

Found a 2002 30' Winnerbago close by will go see it today!

(GF? Do I like her. Yes Sir, she's a Damn Smart Woman and that is Good and Bad!)

Commercial HVAC Contractor
SC LLR Licensed Home Inspector
Machinist, Locksmith, Gunsmith
Mechanical, Electrical and Electronics
Old 12-11-2020, 09:11 PM   #11

THOR #21487
Just back from looking at the 2002 Winnebago. The owner was not available and left it Unlocked. Walking around it I saw a "NEW HAMPSHIRE" sticker on the windshield. "Utt-O". Looking under it, Major Rust Everywhere. Yea, it's a Little SALTY! Inside, nasty. Nothing had been cleaned carpet dirty etc. Old and dirty. You'd think people would spend a little time cleaning if they wanted to sell a rig.

Glad I went and Looked.

And I have a neighbor I've never met, going to see the Weneer he was outside cleaning his RV so I stopped. Talking to him, he said "Whatever you do Don't Buy a Thor"! His is a 2016 32' Thor. He spent most of the time pointing out stuff about his Thor. (Yes, all the Pleather is Peeling. The console fell out when he hit a bump on I-95 along with the Jack control panel.)
Old 12-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Just back from looking at the 2002 Winnebago. The owner was not available and left it Unlocked. Walking around it I saw a "NEW HAMPSHIRE" sticker on the windshield. "Utt-O". Looking under it, Major Rust Everywhere. Yea, it's a Little SALTY! Inside, nasty. Nothing had been cleaned carpet dirty etc. Old and dirty. You'd think people would spend a little time cleaning if they wanted to sell a rig.

Glad I went and Looked.

And I have a neighbor I've never met, going to see the Weneer he was outside cleaning his RV so I stopped. Talking to him, he said "Whatever you do Don't Buy a Thor"! His is a 2016 32' Thor. He spent most of the time pointing out stuff about his Thor. (Yes, all the Pleather is Peeling. The console fell out when he hit a bump on I-95 along with the Jack control panel.)

Pealing seats is not a Thor thing. Pretty much all of them do that. My 2019 Newmar was peeling at 6,000 miles. I’d just use it as a bargaining point on the price and then get it fixed. It’s not really a big deal
Old 12-11-2020, 09:23 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
One good thing about the ACE that you're considering: it's heen enough time for the prior owner to have corrected the "build issues"...
Old 12-12-2020, 12:52 AM   #14

THOR #21487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Pealing seats is not a Thor thing. Pretty much all of them do that. My 2019 Newmar was peeling at 6,000 miles. I’d just use it as a bargaining point on the price and then get it fixed. It’s not really a big deal
I hear You. All I know is what I'm Told and What I Read. (I can Sew Like a Bish and have a Sail Making walking foot sewing machine.) The "thing" I don't understand from any MFG is, if your upholstery is Peeling in 2013/2014 and you're still using the same material in 2016 and '17? Humm... (In the 27.1 the seating at the table has been recovered so it's just the front seats that are still peeling.) The neighbor Thor owner has owned other motorhomes, he gave me his opinion. I guess his "issues" are more of an irritation instead of Major Problems or he would have got rid of the Thor (IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
One good thing about the ACE that you're considering: it's heen enough time for the prior owner to have corrected the "build issues"...
Yep, that's what I was thinking. I really wanted to make them an offer today but I'm still thinking. I'll tell you, after looking at the dog Winnebago today I guess there's no need looking at 18 year old units and definitely Not in the 20k range!

Thanks Guys!
Old 12-12-2020, 01:10 AM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
. Happy shopping! Take a picture of your lady-friend's face when you bring it home...
Old 12-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
I hear You. All I know is what I'm Told and What I Read. (I can Sew Like a Bish and have a Sail Making walking foot sewing machine.) The "thing" I don't understand from any MFG is, if your upholstery is Peeling in 2013/2014 and you're still using the same material in 2016 and '17? Humm... (In the 27.1 the seating at the table has been recovered so it's just the front seats that are still peeling.) The neighbor Thor owner has owned other motorhomes, he gave me his opinion. I guess his "issues" are more of an irritation instead of Major Problems or he would have got rid of the Thor (IMO).

Yep, that's what I was thinking. I really wanted to make them an offer today but I'm still thinking. I'll tell you, after looking at the dog Winnebago today I guess there's no need looking at 18 year old units and definitely Not in the 20k range!

Thanks Guys!
Any brand manufacturer has good and bad. Every owner has a definition of good and bad. The one I bought was first one I looked at. Brand new. I had looked at a lot of floor plans. I knew what I wanted. Found it , price was right. Bought it. And have worked on it weekly ever since. But what else have I got to do but mow grass and work on something. Might as well be a 28 foot motor home. Problems? Yep! Fixable? Yep! The biggest problem I have had this year is finding a place to go. We are spur of the moment travelers. Never a problem until Covid hit. Now everyone and their brother and sister are camping. So buy what you like. Regardless of what you buy you’ll work on it. The GF is another paragraph.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:31 PM   #17

Model: 27.1 ace
THOR #993
Sheet metal worker from OHIO

We own an Ace 27.1 , only complaints v 10 exhaust manifolds warped $4600 . Don’t love the inflatable 3 rd bed . My seats are like new. Would be a bargain at $20000 not at $40000 . Have fun!
Old 12-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #18

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemondl View Post
We own an Ace 27.1 , only complaints v 10 exhaust manifolds warped $4600 . Don’t love the inflatable 3 rd bed . My seats are like new. Would be a bargain at $20000 not at $40000 . Have fun!
Sorry. I don’t understand the 20k or 40k
Old 12-16-2020, 10:29 PM   #19

Model: 27.1 ace
THOR #993
R V s loose value. We bought ours 6 months used around $68000 may be worth $30000. They are worth what you can sell it for. Good luck
Old 12-16-2020, 10:35 PM   #20

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemondl View Post
R V s loose value. We bought ours 6 months used around $68000 may be worth $30000. They are worth what you can sell it for. Good luck
Well, today, based on supply and demand, I could get 5k more than I paid for mine in 2019, new. RVTrader. Com listings. Are you trying to sell it. If not , who cares! Enjoy it.