Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2017, 01:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #7505
New Owners of A.C.E 27.2 I have a night 1 question!!

Hello out there to all ACE owners. This is probably the most stupid question ever, but I surely don't want to burn the RV up the first night I have it home. We live in Florida, and picked it up today - took a book load of notes - and even though I asked for a video or information on all the things they told us - they said THOR doesn't provide this. My stupid question: We do not know what reciever to plug our unit into at home. Can we plug into a a regular 110 V with an adaptor - if we don't turn on the AC? Also, we have a very large receiver in the garage (near a garage door) I'll add the picture here - with an adaptor, we could plug it in. I do not know if this is a 220 -V or 110. The RV place said do NOT plug into the 220V as it will or could cause a fire in the coach. Could anyone help me as I'm struggling to know where to plug this in..Thanks for your help~ Lael in Bradenton Florida
Not sure if this picture will work -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mem9j8dzk...arage.jpg?dl=0

Old 05-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
We use an adapter and plug into 110. Keeps the battery/batteries charged and we can use everything but do not use the A/C. Also allows us to turn on the fridge a couple days before we head out in order to load it. Someone who knows more than me will advise about 220. I think all 220 ARE NOT 30amp so I think they were correct in telling you not to plug into anything but 110.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
By using a adptor you will be able to run almost everthing except the AC. However depending how stronge your house current is with most of the 110 sfuff off the AC may work. Go to either rv dealer or biv box retailer and pick up a plug in voltage meter, best thing to have.

The large outlet in the garage, make sure its a 30 amp 110 outlet. On your breaker pannel it will be only one breaker. If you plug into a 30 amp 220 you may lose alot of things.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #4

THOR #7505
Thank you - this is very helpful. I think I will play it safe, and plug into the 110V - with adaptor. Again, thank you. When I plug in, I need to make sure the switch for battery by the door, is on the USE position, correct? Is that how the batteries are charged? If the unit is in STORAGE, the batteries are NOT CHARGED? Just checking. Again, Thanks
Old 05-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #5

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
The photo appears to be a 220 household plugin for a dryer. I don't think you will have much luck finding an adapter and you certainly don't want to use it anyway. A regular outlet is what you need for short term service while your RV is in the drive. You can keep your batteries charged, keep frig on, have lights, and use outlets inside the coach as needed. Use a good heavy grounded extension cord.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #6

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
If your rv is 30 amp it's not 220 it's 110 your ac will prob be on a 20 amp breaker it draws the highest on start up so it would be less than 20 amps if your not using a extension cord you can get by running the ac
You need to google to learn the difference between 110 and 220
Old 05-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
From your pic it looks like the outlet in your garage is a 220VAC outlet used for either power tools or a clothes dryer. Do not plug into that outlet.

If it were me, I would call an electrician and ask about having that outlet converted over to 110 50 amp and then get a 50 amp to 30 amp dog bone adapter. RV 50 amp service is actually 220 VAC split into 2 110 legs referred to as L1 and L2.

As a note, since there are campgrounds that have 50 amp only service you should get a 50 amp to 30 amp dog bone

Also, if you plug into a standard 110 outlet using an adapter, you could (operative word being could) experience issues if the outlet you plug into is a GFCI outlet or on a GFCI circuit. GFCI does like to be plugged int another GFCI circuit.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #8

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Yes, keep it in the USE position
Old 05-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #9

THOR #7505
Plug in

Thanks everyone. I don't own the home I'm in, so reconfiguring the electrical in the garage may not be possible. I thought I'd use the 110V with adaptor, but one of the reply's has said this may not be a matching circuit. I am a bit confused, but find most of the comments helpful. The most helpful, is from Gary A, who told me what he does, and indicated to keep it in USE position.
Thanks for the help.
Lael
Our unit is 27.2 ACE.