Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2024, 10:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #31847
New Sequence Owner: Hello and a few questions

Hi. New member here. Just bought a 2024 Sequence and have not yet picked it up from the dealer. First time RV owner. Reviewing these forums, it looks like I'm in for a steep learning curve. A few questions in the meantime before I pick up the vehicle:

1. Does anyone know what size tow hitch receiver comes installed on a Tellaro/Sequence? I saw that the vehicle has a hitch receiver at the dealer but the size is surprisingly impossible to find on the internet and my sales person doesn't know. It was on the smaller size, maybe 1.25", 2", or maybe even 2.5". Anyone know?

2. Has anyone found a surf board rack that can be installed on a Sequence/Tellaro?

3. My Sequence has a pop-top. Can a roof rack be installed on top of the pop-top for use when the top is down? Anyone know a good roof rack for the Sequence/Tellaro?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 02-14-2024, 01:41 AM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. I just looked up your coach and it has a towing hitch weight of 3500 pounds and GVWR of 9350 pounds. It does not say if it is a 2 1/2 inch or 2 inch receiver.

Paul
Old 02-14-2024, 01:54 AM   #3

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcoholic View Post
Hi. New member here. Just bought a 2024 Sequence and have not yet picked it up from the dealer. First time RV owner. Reviewing these forums, it looks like I'm in for a steep learning curve. A few questions in the meantime before I pick up the vehicle:

1. Does anyone know what size tow hitch receiver comes installed on a Tellaro/Sequence? I saw that the vehicle has a hitch receiver at the dealer but the size is surprisingly impossible to find on the internet and my sales person doesn't know. It was on the smaller size, maybe 1.25", 2", or maybe even 2.5". Anyone know?

2. Has anyone found a surf board rack that can be installed on a Sequence/Tellaro?

3. My Sequence has a pop-top. Can a roof rack be installed on top of the pop-top for use when the top is down? Anyone know a good roof rack for the Sequence/Tellaro?

Greetings from Vermont!

I have a 2022 Tellaro 20L- same as the Sequence with minor color differences inside.

So you have the 20A?

Hitch is 2", 3500 lb capacity on mine, plus a flat-4 connector for lights as well.

Better take an RV owner with you for pickup, if the dealer can't get his head out of his butt and go look at your rig, and should know anyways.

I would avoid a roof rack on the pop-top. It's hard enough to operate w/o it.

I would suggest this trailer- one of my Rialta buddies has one and it's perfect for a surfboard. He carries two kayaks on his.

https://www.sylvansport.com/go-easy-kayak-trailer/

Aside from that- hope you're handy- I've done over 70 mods on mine. Thor QC is pretty bad. PM me for more if you need. These rigs are known to leak (plumbing inside), and can have electrical issues. I have tackled many in my 20AT, and 20L that replaced the 20AT. And yes I consider myself 'handy'. Inventor/ cad operator, and bike/ski tech since I was a tadpole.
Enjoy!

Mark
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 05:52 AM   #4

THOR #31847
Mark, thank you!

My model, which I pick up tomorrow, will be the 20J.

Your advice is in line with what I've been reading in these forums and other places: Thor has questionable QC at best. I admit, I was quite drawn in by the sleekness of the design, aesthetically, and that's probably what captured me. But I'm certainly concerned now about these quality issues.

I do consider myself decently handy and have most tools (automotive and household) to get most jobs done. What I don't know already, I can usually figure out with the help of the Internet/YouTube. That said, "handy" is a relative term. To some people, I'm sure I seem like a beginner at best. However, most of the time when I decide to leave a job to the professionals it's because time is the limiting factor, not ability. If I had no job and no kids I would do almost everything myself!

Anyway, I appreciate your response. I will almost certainly take you up on your generous offer to ask further questions in the future. Anyone who has done over 70 mods must know the Tellaro pretty well by now!
Old 02-15-2024, 01:53 PM   #5

THOR #30506
Quote:
Mark, thank you!

My model, which I pick up tomorrow, will be the 20J.

Your advice is in line with what I've been reading in these forums and other places: Thor has questionable QC at best. I admit, I was quite drawn in by the sleekness of the design, aesthetically, and that's probably what captured me. But I'm certainly concerned now about these quality issues.

I do consider myself decently handy and have most tools (automotive and household) to get most jobs done. What I don't know already, I can usually figure out with the help of the Internet/YouTube. That said, "handy" is a relative term. To some people, I'm sure I seem like a beginner at best. However, most of the time when I decide to leave a job to the professionals it's because time is the limiting factor, not ability. If I had no job and no kids I would do almost everything myself!

Anyway, I appreciate your response. I will almost certainly take you up on your generous offer to ask further questions in the future. Anyone who has done over 70 mods must know the Tellaro pretty well by now!
Most welcome!

I was in a FB group, but got hacked, so here I am..
Helps to have built/ remodeled homes, kitchen design /install, electrical and plumbing, cabinetmaking, and also designing and building prototypes for 3 different bike adaptations, including adaptive/ special needs cycles. I was also a Radio Shack Science Fair junkie at 9 yrs old, which is where I got my DC electrical chops. For the the last 20 yrs, I was repairing band instruments. ADHD can have some benefits...

First, I got an RV that needed everything- a 2001 Rialta, so I patched and modded the dickens outta that thing, and built up my chops. I also have had 40+ cars, so working on all those things has given me a plethora of tools.
I got a 20AT after the Rialta and floor plan was not right for us, plus the added lack of QC, so I fixed it up, used 1-2X and sold it. It had a lot of problems, but was a good learning platform. The VW Eurovan chassis became a challenge to get parts for, and like all VW vans, hated the hills. The Promaster is great.

I decided to punish myself further by getting the 20L, and surrendered to the idea of getting it new for $123k, and just start off with a rebuild- rearrange the electrics by moving the batteries, wires, fuses, up inside and adding two lagun tables, and reworking the control panel. The twin beds are perfect for us- I've even replaced the mattresses already. I liked the componentry inside, just not how they assembled it. I also like the UHG- suggest getting a smartlink for yours when you get it, so you can control the regulator remotely.

I have a PDF on the battery move if interested- just PM me w/ email- too big to post here. Winterization pdfs available too- for water, batteries, and BMPro. Another useful pdf to add a switch to the Combimaster- you can search posts here to see some of the things I have done.

You sound like you're on the same page- be prepared for no support from dealer, and find a good Ram dealer for service on the chassis part. The Ram dealer is my best Ace in the hole. Do NOT buy the ripoff extended service plan!! That $10k can be used in better ways.

First thing to do is remove the rear bike rack, and re-install with Sikaflex 252 adhesive. Mine was not glued, and paint was badly scratched. Thor assembly crew doesn't read manuals...

Best wishes and good luck- I'll help where I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D7909554-5EB7-4F9B-99E3-2A7450FF3525_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	391.2 KB
ID:	45153   Click image for larger version

Name:	DF7F9643-AD18-4135-9777-D1DE7F492392_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	45154  

Name:	190W solar added.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	45155  
Old 02-15-2024, 06:32 PM   #6

THOR #31847
Mark, thank you! You are a wealth of knowledge. I appreciate your detailed post.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:07 AM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #29989
Hi, we have a 2023 Scope 18A with pop top. Build quality is pretty poor. Sloppy work on just about everything. That said we really like the floorplan and so far have pretty well fixed everything we can find.

Plan on taking all day to go through the unit if necessary and go through it with a fine tooth comb. If there is anything serious I wouldn't even take it. I hope you have a better dealer than we do. The flooring was damaged in six places that looks to me was from dropped tools etc. It has been almost a year and we are still fighting that. Damage on a cabinet door probably from the pop top ladder.

Loose fittings in three places that leaked water and only needed to be tightened. Loose screws everywhere, sawdust, dirt, etc. Insulation pulled out so they could run wiring. I have replaced quite a few of the screws with bolts where I can. Table was broken and Thor replaced it.

We had one of the gas struts break on the pop top while it was up and the wife was sleeping. That was interesting. Finally got Lippert to send a new one and I changed it rather than hassle with the dealer. That was also a hassle because of Lippert but finally got a decent service rep and she took care of business. The solenoid that ties the coach and chassis 12 volt systems together went out and the Thor rep sent me a new one without a hassle and I changed it out.

Now that I have you concerned I'll say I think a lot of this stuff happens on more expensive vans also. We just did a 4000 mile trip and the van averaged 17.4 mpg. Quite happy with that. So far everything in it works. Knock on wood. We have made several trips in it and actually like the van.

I put on a hitch mounted spare tire and have a jack inside stowed away. We did Sumo springs front and rear. Easy installation and makes a world of difference on handling. Lagun table to replace crummy factory design. Mattress toppers for bed and pop top. Vanmade gear window covers. They are great. Luno bed for cab when it is too cold to use the pop top. This was all stuff we just wanted.

Wish you good luck and hope you like it. Don't cut them any slack on your inspection!!!
Old 02-23-2024, 05:39 AM   #8

THOR #31847
Jonv, thanks for the run-down. Pretty eye opening.

It was all interesting, but I'm especially interested in the Lagun table replacement and Sumo springs. Those sounds like a really good idea. (The factory table is laughably poor quality!).

I'll have to look into a Luno bed...sounds like a good idea too.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:27 PM   #9

THOR #30506
Lagun tables and mattresses for Tellaro 20L

Quote:
Jonv, thanks for the run-down. Pretty eye opening.

It was all interesting, but I'm especially interested in the Lagun table replacement and Sumo springs. Those sounds like a really good idea. (The factory table is laughably poor quality!).

I'll have to look into a Luno bed...sounds like a good idea too.

Sumo springs are a must have- Was the 1st thing we did to ours. Now it doesn't feel like it's tipping over on exit/entrance ramps.

I put two Lagun tables in our 20L, one on pass. side bed platform, and another behind driver's seat, mounted to the kitchen cabinet. Tossed the oem hardware, filled the holes, and covered with rubberised carpet, then rugs. Both can be swung into any position we need. Strong enough to help in the kitchen too!! I did go inside the cabinet and reinforce the end panel with 3/4" plywood. I used 1/4-20 threaded inserts, furniture bolts and 1x4 (3/4 x 3-1/2") PVC 'lumber' to make the standoff base.

I also had these guys make replacement mattresses, a little thicker and wider too- much better. I just sent them a sketch, and couple weeks later had them in the RV- We used the Greyson mattress, hinged just like the oem ones for the Froli adjustable headrest.
https://www.custommattressfactory.com/rv-mattress
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lagun table 4.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	45227   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8386.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	45228  

Name:	Lagun table 2.jpeg
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	45229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lagun base mounted.jpeg
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	45230  

Name:	Lagun-plywood installed.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	45231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lagun- furniture bolts.jpeg
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	45232  

Name:	Lagun extension drilling.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	45235  
Old 02-23-2024, 02:46 PM   #10

THOR #30506
DIY Tellaro/ Sequence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonv View Post
Hi, we have a 2023 Scope 18A with pop top. Build quality is pretty poor. Sloppy work on just about everything. That said we really like the floorplan and so far have pretty well fixed everything we can find.

Plan on taking all day to go through the unit if necessary and go through it with a fine tooth comb. If there is anything serious I wouldn't even take it. I hope you have a better dealer than we do. The flooring was damaged in six places that looks to me was from dropped tools etc. It has been almost a year and we are still fighting that. Damage on a cabinet door probably from the pop top ladder.

Loose fittings in three places that leaked water and only needed to be tightened. Loose screws everywhere, sawdust, dirt, etc. Insulation pulled out so they could run wiring. I have replaced quite a few of the screws with bolts where I can. Table was broken and Thor replaced it.

We had one of the gas struts break on the pop top while it was up and the wife was sleeping. That was interesting. Finally got Lippert to send a new one and I changed it rather than hassle with the dealer. That was also a hassle because of Lippert but finally got a decent service rep and she took care of business. The solenoid that ties the coach and chassis 12 volt systems together went out and the Thor rep sent me a new one without a hassle and I changed it out.

Now that I have you concerned I'll say I think a lot of this stuff happens on more expensive vans also. We just did a 4000 mile trip and the van averaged 17.4 mpg. Quite happy with that. So far everything in it works. Knock on wood. We have made several trips in it and actually like the van.

I put on a hitch mounted spare tire and have a jack inside stowed away. We did Sumo springs front and rear. Easy installation and makes a world of difference on handling. Lagun table to replace crummy factory design. Mattress toppers for bed and pop top. Vanmade gear window covers. They are great. Luno bed for cab when it is too cold to use the pop top. This was all stuff we just wanted.

Wish you good luck and hope you like it. Don't cut them any slack on your inspection!!!

We get about 17-18mpg too. Our previous RV (2001 Rialta) got as much as 22mpg, but that was unloaded with tail wind... mostly was 18mpg. When we got that RV, it was a mess- full of holes, shot generator and water heater, two old lead-acid batteries, and dog drool all over the inside. Took me about 2 months to get it where it was for the next 4 years. Full LP conversion, added solar, carpeted interior, all new base cabinets, toilet, water heater, Inverter/converter, real twin bed amidships, lots of drawers, 30 qt.Dometic freezer, new Engel 12V fridge, Flame king stovetop, larger sink, tip out trash can, etc etc.. does ANY RV have a trash bin???? Not any I have had.

The Tellaro is a great vehicle for trips to lumberyard too- I have gotten 16' long peices and plywoods thru the back door, instead of hooking up my trailer to my car, which is much harder to maneuver. It drives great, and can take hills w/o passenger getting out and pushing.

For plumbing leaks- you have likely discovered they happen at swivel fittings, which have a gasket inside, so if you over tighten, will leak just as bad. So back off, let sit for a while, then re-tighten by hand, and add 1/4 turn.

Thor has no idea how to build a quality RV, and as you say, you can spend a lot more and still get a p.o.s., so best to be handy like us, and buy with the intent of rebuilding, which is what we are doing- 2 years later. Little stuff, after the 1st 6 months at least. I'm adding things like SeeLevel gauges, MPPT solar controller, etc, that make it better.
Good thing you're handy and can fix stuff- big $$ saver there, and no BS from dealer either, waiting long periods only to not have done right anyway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1837.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	45233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8270.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	45234  

Old 02-24-2024, 02:20 PM   #11

State: Washington
THOR #29354
I have a 2023 21J - Just started to get a howling noise from the engine. Found out my aux alternator and tensioner failed (the Thor part for the lithion batteries). Contacted Campingworld and he said the is the 8th one he's had fail. They are hoping for a recall. But I'm screwed, as this is my only ride now as we are traveling. Today I moved it and smelled burning rubber...so my guess is the alternator seized. I also had the solar panel rip off during high wind driving....all is under warranty but been to the dealer way too many times for a new rig.
Old 02-24-2024, 02:37 PM   #12

THOR #29989
Believe there is a recall on the roof rack. We have the pop top so the solar panels were applied with adhesive and no roof rack. Someone had the NTSB recall number posted here on the forum. Kind of a big deal if a solar panel flies off and hits another vehicle.
Old 02-24-2024, 02:38 PM   #13

THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Kat View Post
I have a 2023 21J - Just started to get a howling noise from the engine. Found out my aux alternator and tensioner failed (the Thor part for the lithion batteries). Contacted Campingworld and he said the is the 8th one he's had fail. They are hoping for a recall. But I'm screwed, as this is my only ride now as we are traveling. Today I moved it and smelled burning rubber...so my guess is the alternator seized. I also had the solar panel rip off during high wind driving....all is under warranty but been to the dealer way too many times for a new rig.
Replied on original post- please re-read as I have edited
Old 02-24-2024, 02:51 PM   #14

THOR #29989
Nice. We ended up using a Walmart bamboo cutting board for our table top that worked great. Think it was only about $20. We really like the Lagun table and have no idea why Thor has the piece of junk table in the A floorplan. Mounted ours on the seat base but would have preferred mounting on B pillar.
Old 02-25-2024, 10:36 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.3
State: Alabama
THOR #25790
Quote:

If you haven't accepted delivery, I suggest an independent RV inspector to inspect the coach prior and have the dealer address any defects the inspection reveals before you take delivery. It will be worth the expense, with the abysmal quality control across the RV industry, and will save you aggravation find possible issues beforehand.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:51 AM   #16

State: Washington
THOR #29354
I have a 2023 sequence.

2"
I have not seen any. But I can put 2 kayaks inside my Sequence with the couch down.

No....the solar panel is on the poptop. To install anything would cover that panel and decrease it's performance.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:56 PM   #17

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #17925
Quote:

I do not have those answers but if you are going to need a TPMS system let me know. I bought for my 2019 Thor Axis and we decided to put it up for sale at the end of this season and I never got a chance to install the TPMS and probably won't at this point.

Tags
roof rack, sequence, surf, tellaro