Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: New Jersey
THOR #1205
Hurricane 33G

Hello all, I am in the process of buying a 2013 Hurricane 33G from a dealer. Anything I should be concerned about?

Old 10-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Don't buy it!!! Thor seems to be having some serious quality control issues! There are lots of us that are having real big problems with our Thor products!!

Don't take my word, look at these other posts from other Thor owners who have had problems!! If I had it to do over again, I WOULD NOT by another Thor product!! Do your own independent research, and definitely don't trust the dealer! They are simply looking to move units and they will tell you anything to make the sale!

I challenge you to go to a different dealer and look at Fleetwood, Winnebago and other manufactures and compare. Also go to their Internet forums and look at what other owners are reporting!!

Good luck!!!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...pairs-778.html

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...-care-824.html

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...again-707.html

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...e-34e-652.html
Old 11-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #935
We have a 2013 Hurricane 33g and we bought it new last year. I know there'll be some issue on the RV but it did not stop me in buying it like some people are saying about Thor product. We like this RV because of the floor plan and affordability. Those issue, I improve, upgrade and update it by myself. We are loving and enjoying it. If you go thru in buying and have some question on those issue let me know I might be able to help you in solving it.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Tuscany 40EX
State: South Dakota
THOR #1260
Get an extended warranty!
Old 11-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #5

THOR #1260
When deciding on what to buy you will find all kinds of problems with every rv. I have never owned a unit that did not have some kind of repairs made. Ask for repair warranty work and owner repairs if it has none been done! Run... Also invest on an on line Vin check for repairs. It helps when buying used. We did our research before buying on other brands and all were about the same at the time. So we brought factory built, because after 6mos of wanting a used one all we found was junk. We went all over the USA plus went to dealers in ID, TX, AZ, CA, NV to look at used.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #1599
Yes, go to the other forums, and see what they are reporting.......exactly the same ! Lol.......all RV's apparently suck! I am the proud owner of a new 2015 Hurricane 34e, i have a growing list of things that are wrong.....but i am parking in a great RV resort here, and i have 1/4 million dollar rigs on both sides of me......guess what, those people are "never buying xxx brand again" i think it is an RV thing across the board, and with RV escalating these last few years, don't expect the situation to get much better.

Even with the gripes i have, so far i am still liking our new Hurricane��
Old 02-24-2015, 12:55 AM   #7

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Well stated, but Thor still sucks! I guess they all have quality issues but I found Thor was so deceitful and tried to hide so many mess ups from plain sight. I will say it again, please Japan start making motorhomes!!!!!!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:01 AM   #8

THOR #1599
Well, i am waiting to see how the first service appointment goes......i want to take it out for a few more short weekend trips before i take it in, then i may change my opinion!,, i'll update after the warranty work is done........well, hopefully done😳
Old 02-24-2015, 01:36 AM   #9

THOR #1260
The sad part is we brought a NEW 2015 factory build order. But half the unit was built with broken, refurbished or used doctored up parts or new damaged parts. We have had our 7mos and Thor and the dealer can't even get the right parts send. We had waited 5 weeks for our repairs and get to the dealer and told that the parts did not get ordered. NO! CS, dealer has no clue how to fix things and Thor throws you and the bus and will not talk to you and say's its up to the dealer to fix. The dealer can't fix either. Going to the factory for repairs is out unless Thor wants to pay for housing while we wait up to 9mo's for them to get their shit together and take care of the people who already brought a MH that needs fixing. Stop selling crap until Thor can take care of us.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:38 AM   #10

THOR #1260
YES! run in the other direction as fast as you can....
Old 02-24-2015, 02:29 AM   #11

THOR #1599
Wow , this is terrible....and a Tuscany.....well i hope you will get this settled....sorry you are going through this��
Old 02-24-2015, 07:29 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I am becoming more and more convinced that this is a characteristic of the RV industry as a whole, not just one manufacturer.

Most RVs are made in the Elkhart, Indiana area where they also make mobile homes. A motorhome thus is simply a self-propelled mobile home... transportable trailer park units, having the primary function of a tent.

The truth is we'd have to pay significantly more for better built rig, and the market place (us) just won't support a more costly RV. After all, how much money are we willing to spend on our motorized tents. Of course, that is still no excuse for shoddy work by the manufacturer regardless of price point.

So on one hand I am not willing to let a manufacturer off the hook for shoddy work, but on the other hand, we have to look at RVs realistically.

Remember that the only thing that works on a RV is the owner.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:20 AM   #13

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
"Of course, that is still no excuse for shoddy work by the manufacturer regardless of price point."

This is the real story! Measure twice and cut once. Taking pride in ones workmanship does not cost money.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Yea, I'm with you... but how much precision does $14 per hour buy? Especially when they are only given X amount of time per task.

I have seen clocks in RV plants that count down how much time before the RV moves to the next station.

RVs are still largely hand-made, so labor is a huge part of the cost of a RV.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #15

State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
I am becoming more and more convinced that this is a characteristic of the RV industry as a whole, not just one manufacturer.
Absolutely agree.

I have experienced issues with every brand and model of RV that I have purchased. It's not just a "Thor thing".

I have experienced the frustration and tantrums by those in their Monaco, Newmar, Prevost, Country Coach, and other "high end" DPs during their warranty periods. It's not a pretty sight.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Interesting about Prevost. If I paid north of $1Mil for a RV, it better be built well
Old 02-24-2015, 07:57 PM   #17

State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
Interesting about Prevost. If I paid north of $1Mil for a RV, it better be built well

What's kind sad bout the Prevost incident that I witnessed is that the telephone call, (that I and the entire RVPark could hear), to the service technician was not so much about the actual defect, (toilet valve didn't stop and overflowed, water was dripping from the coach), but more, "do you know who I am", and "how could you let this happen to me", "I spent $xx,xxxx,xxxx on this thing"!!!