Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
New to Thor Forum

Hello all currently on the Keystone Forum and have a Bullet Premier 19FBPR. We will be upgrading shortly to a Thor Hurricane 34J. Will be asking a lot of questions. Be back soon.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #2

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Welcome! Are you buying new or used and dealer or private party? With Class A motorhomes it is VERY IMPORTANT to do a thorough walk through, inspection and test of all systems multiple times (genny, inverter?, ACs, heater, water heater, levellers, slides, bunk, etc.) and have any issues fixed BEFORE you take possession (sale contingent). If new or used (still under warrenty?) from a dealer, know that once you're out the door, YOU will have to take the RV to Ford for any chassis or powertrain issues, and a Thor authorized center for any coach related issues.
Best of luck and I hope this was helpful!
Old 06-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
HaRVey gave you a lot to consider, so I'll just welcome you to the Forum!
Old 06-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #4

THOR #15745
Thank you

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I plan on buying new and will make sure everything works before I take possession. I know there are a lot of things that can go wrong while in transit to the dealer. Thank you for all the suggestions.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #5

THOR #12839
If you're still negotiating the deal, maybe you can get them to perform the Cheep Handling Fix (relocate sway bar end links to inner sway bar mount hole, many have had it done by Ford) before you take delivery and upgrade the batteries to 6V GC2 (assuming not already equipped). Those are 2 things at a minimum which should be done from the factory IMOO...
Old 06-23-2019, 10:22 PM   #6

THOR #15745
Thank you HaRVey will do. Maybe you or anyone else can answer another couple of questions.
1. I see it does come with the capability for 4 house batteries.
Are they for 6 v batteries or 4 - 12 v batteries? The 6 v have a longer run time I believe.
2. It shows solar ready. What size solar panels should I use? Do they just charge the house batteries or all batteries?
3. Does the inverter work directly off the house batteries?
If so then 4 house batteries would be better.
4. Do the house batteries charge while driving or do I need to run the generator?
5. Are only a select few 110 outlets connected to The inverter?
Not much information on the Thor website or any manuals on line. Unless you know where to find them.
Thanks in advance Badmanrick
Old 06-23-2019, 11:38 PM   #7

THOR #12839
I don't own your same model (currently a Palazzo 33.2) but will try to answer as best I can.
1. If it comes with 4 batteries like my 2018 Palazzo did, then they are likely already 6V GC, which is good as they can be drawn down 50% of their capacity ~600 times verses only ~20% if they are 12V
2. If solar ready, it either comes with just wiring and connection and possibly a GoPower PWM30 controller, which both are good for 400W total max and they will only charge the house/coach batteries and not the chassis/starting. I'm not sure why, but from what I've read on this site and personally experienced, the chassis batteries don't seem to get charged for anyone while on shore, genny, or solar and I ran a separate battery tender to my chassis batteries when "storing" but later moved the factory 100W solar to the Chassis batteries when I added a dedicated 680W system for my House batteries.
3. Yes, the inverter (assuming it equipped with one) works directly off the house batteries and only feeds a sub-panel which powers all 110 plugs, TV, residential fridge (if equipped with one, this will be your biggest draw when not on shore or genny) and microwave (some models/years are not wired to inverter) but not high draw devices like the AC or water heater.
And yes, 4 house batteries would be better!
4. Yes the house batteries will charge while driving once the chassis batteries reach full charge, through an Bi-directional switch or by the solar if you have it installed. You may run your genny while driving if you want to run your main AC on hot days and it will also charge the house batteries.
5. Assuming yours is like mine, I had a 2000W inverter which feeds a sub-panel and all of the 110 outlets, fridge & micro.

If you can get the VIN you could call Thor tech support and find out exactly what options your's comes with and how they wired it.

I hope all of this is helpful and applicable to your specific model.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #8

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum