Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: California
THOR #8558
New Thor Hurricane 29M owner

Hello;
My name is Ray and I go by M/Sgt. G, I'm a retired Marine and DOD retiree.
My wife and I live in 29 Palms, CA. and we just took ownership of a 2017 Thor Hurricane 29M coach. I found this site by accident but was impress with some of the knowledge, I would like to thank all our fellow RV owners for the much needed information. I'm looking forward for future connect through this Forum.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the forum!!! Lots of 29MS owners on this form with plenty of helpful ideas. If you have questions there is a tremendous wealth of knowledge and experience with friendly people willing to assist. Hope you enjoy a lot of great times in your coach!

SEMPER FI
Old 08-03-2017, 04:49 AM   #4

THOR #8558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray.Greenidge View Post
Hello;
My name is Ray and I go by M/Sgt. G, I'm a retired Marine and DOD retiree.
My wife and I live in 29 Palms, CA. and we just took ownership of a 2017 Thor Hurricane 29M coach. I found this site by accident but was impress with some of the knowledge, I would like to thank all our fellow RV owners for the much needed information. I'm looking forward for future connect through this Forum.
When I first started reading the forum I was reading about someone modifying the suspension on the Hurricane; but now I can't find anything on this issue, can I get help
Old 08-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #5

THOR #5196
Quote:
When I first started reading the forum I was reading about someone modifying the suspension on the Hurricane; but now I can't find anything on this issue, can I get help
Absolutely! The first mod you need is the CHF (cheap handling fix) free, just takes about 1- 1 1/2 hours to do. You'll need 15 and 18 mm sockets, a torque wrench, a scissor or bottle jack, blue loctite, and poly lube for the swaybar bushings. There are videos on YouTube that show what needs to be done but they don't show lubing the swaybar bushings which you might as well do while you're under the coach.

Next mod I would suggest is getting the front end alignment, from the factory it's usually not to good, then add a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer.

From there you can add a rear trackbar and Sumo springs to the front. Biggest bang for the buck is the CHF and Safe T Plus.

On the forum homepage go to Modifications and updates, Jerrys Hurricane mods, and you'll find over 90 pages of ideas for mods on a 29M. The Hurricane and Windsport are identical except paint and trim so these mods will apply to your coach. Lots of 29M owners have contributed ideas to this thread. Let me warn you that reading this thread can cause a SERIOUS dent in your wallet!!!

Is your coach 30 amp or 50 amp with dual AC? I know from experience how hot it gets in 29 Palms.

P.S. add your coach information under your avatar or on a signature line so people will know what you have when you ask questions.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Congrats on the new Hurricane and welcome aboard!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
What Dave said x2.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:03 AM   #8

THOR #8558
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Absolutely! The first mod you need is the CHF (cheap handling fix) free, just takes about 1- 1 1/2 hours to do. You'll need 15 and 18 mm sockets, a torque wrench, a scissor or bottle jack, blue loctite, and poly lube for the swaybar bushings. There are videos on YouTube that show what needs to be done but they don't show lubing the swaybar bushings which you might as well do while you're under the coach.

Next mod I would suggest is getting the front end alignment, from the factory it's usually not to good, then add a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer.

From there you can add a rear trackbar and Sumo springs to the front. Biggest bang for the buck is the CHF and Safe T Plus.

On the forum homepage go to Modifications and updates, Jerrys Hurricane mods, and you'll find over 90 pages of ideas for mods on a 29M. The Hurricane and Windsport are identical except paint and trim so these mods will apply to your coach. Lots of 29M owners have contributed ideas to this thread. Let me warn you that reading this thread can cause a SERIOUS dent in your wallet!!!

Is your coach 30 amp or 50 amp with dual AC? I know from experience how hot it gets in 29 Palms.

P.S. add your coach information under your avatar or on a signature line so people will know what you have when you ask questions.
Thks; will take all in consideration. After I get on the road with some long trips I'm sure I'll have a better knowledge of what I need.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:11 AM   #9

THOR #8558
Cool M/Sgt.G

Still trying to learn my way around this Forum so if I'm off base please let me know.
Thks.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #10

THOR #5196
Quote:

Thks; will take all in consideration. After I get on the road with some long trips I'm sure I'll have a better knowledge of what I need.
After a trip on the highway with a little wind and a few semi's you'll understand why you need to do the CHF.

Most 29Ms weigh about the same, start off with 82 psi in your tires. When you can, load your coach like you would for a trip and then go to a truck stop and get it weighed, this will give you a better idea of what psi to run in your tires.

Have FUN!!!
Old 08-05-2017, 03:48 AM   #11

THOR #8558
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
After a trip on the highway with a little wind and a few semi's you'll understand why you need to do the CHF.

Most 29Ms weigh about the same, start off with 82 psi in your tires. When you can, load your coach like you would for a trip and then go to a truck stop and get it weighed, this will give you a better idea of what psi to run in your tires.

Have FUN!!!

SuperD; Thank you for that advice, I would never have thought about that why I join this forum. The world of knowledge is outstanding.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:44 PM   #12

Model: ACE 27.2
State: South Carolina
THOR #10635
Dave, Do you know what the empty weight of the 29M is? Just trying to find out how much I can load, baggage and people/dogs. Thinking about trading up to one.
-Ed
Old 02-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
I think its around 16000
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote