Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #11910
Looking at a Thor ACR motorhome

I'm here researching a Thor ACE motorhome for my wife and I when she retires in two years. Prior to discovering these units, we were set on a 5th wheel for the space and the 4WD truck. Now we have rethought things and are pretty sure one of these class A units towing our Honda Element AWD around is the more economical solution. The model we like most is the 30.3.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome, good luck on your search and future retirement plans.

Do you have any questions? Just looking for opinions from owners?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #5437
We have a 29.3 ACE and downsized from a large 5th wheel. As for the ACE I have not had to many major problems, yes minor ones. The ACE has WAY less space than our past 5th wheel but we planned on that. One thing I like about ours is its not filled with alot of "bells and whistles".

You may want to check out your Honda owners manual and make sure it can be towed, either 4 down or on dolly. I know alot of AWD units are not towable.

Best of luck on your search
Old 06-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
If you were looking at a Thor Hurricane, I would give you the list of problems I have had and continue to have; however, I was talking with a guy with a 2018 ACE 30' and he his happy with his. Says it drives like a car. I don't see as many posts here about problems with the ACE brand.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
We have a 2014 29.2 model and are pleased with the choice. These self contained MHs are not as roomy nor opulent as a large 5th Wheel; however, they are a lot more convenient to live and travel with.

One thing is a given though; the Ford F53 chassis theses MHs are mounted on will almost definitely require suspension modifications to enhance driveability -- see the many discussions herein regarding same.

Best of luck.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Campfire, and the best of luck to you in your search for the perfect rig!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #7

THOR #11910
Mostly looking for opinions from owners and reading other posts to get more info. For the past year or so I've been doing this on 5th wheels, before we came across the ACE.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:54 AM   #8

THOR #11910
It can be towed 4 down.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:56 AM   #9

THOR #11910
I will. Thanks. Drivablity is the main feature that is drawing us to it besides the ability to finance the entire package instead of a truck and a 5th wheel that we were looking at.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:44 PM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Here's the standard advice for inexperienced RV shoppers: Rent one, hopefully one similar to what you are considering. Some miles and some nights will help your decision become clearer. While renting is pricey, it could save you thousands.

We loved our 5th wheel and our big diesel pickup when we stayed in one location for an extended time. Then when our travel style changed to moving every few days, a motor home with a towed car worked much better.

Be sure to factor in the cost of setting up your car to tow. Dolly or base plate, tow arms and braking system.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:58 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Welcome Mike...we have good friends that bought an Ace 29.3

They were the main reason that got us really thinking about RV's.

Theirs is a 2017 model and they have had only a few issues. His drives very well and he hasn't modified it. He has one hand driving comfort.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:37 AM   #12

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
We have a 2015 ace 29.3 and love it.
My wife and the 3 girls spent a month and a half in it last year with my two dog and had no major issues.
We have done some modifications but they were after we used it for about two years. (Additional ac unit)
one major thing that really made us buy it was the size.
It's only 30 feet long which allows us to get in spots that are hard to get with larger rvs and some state parts that limit size.
My wife has driven it just as much as I have.
We have looked at newer ones but love our floor plan.
I would suggest to pick the floor plan you like.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #13

THOR #11910
We've been renting for years. But only the C class ones. That's how we got the idea to retire in one, but with more room. I moved from Cincinnati out to LA in a Cab over camera and an old truck back in 1981. I spent 4 months in it while relocating.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #14

THOR #11910
We are looking at the 30.3 for the floor plan specifically...more so than just the extra space. I'm just hoping when it comes time to get one we can find it without the outdoor fridge and stove. With it gone you get WAY more storage
Old 06-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #15

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We have a 2017 ACE 30.1, which is almost identical to the 30.3. The only visible difference is that the bedroom slide is flipped to be on the driver’s side, and the exterior kitchen. We have a large storage compartment where the 30.3 kitchen goes, and really need the space for larger stuff. I think that the kitchen results in way too much storage loss.

We were thinking a Class C and almost bought a Jayco Greyhawk. The more spacious Class A format is what sold us on the ACE (plus the large counter top)

Problems have been relatively few. Most significant was that we found was that 3 120 VAC circuits were landed on the wrong breakers, which was easy to fix. We also changed out the crap OEM batteries with a pair of Interstate 6V batteries and replaced the crap WFCO converter with a Progressive Dynamics after a few months.

The OEM’s weren’t taking a charge and weren’t worth trying to get a warranty replacement, even if the manufacturer would honor their warranty. You will find a lot posts about how the OEM refuses warranty replacements and points at the WFCO converter as the cause. They have a little bit of a point as the WFCO isn’t very kind to batteries, but doesn’t excuse that fact that they are bad batteries. We’ve also had our share of loose or missing screws, especially on the drawer guides.

I don’t think it drives like a car. Our first trip from Colorado to California and back had a few white knuckle moments. It’s got all of the issues that F-53 chassis have. At a minimum you will need to have an alignment done (Thor doesn’t align the coach after dumping tons of weight on the frame), do the Cheap Handling Fix. I’d highly recommend installing a rear track bar and a steering stabilizer like the Safe-T-Plus we added. I also changed out the OEM Bilstein stocks, replacing them with Koni FSD’s. This has made a really big difference in handling and now I find driving a whole lot easier. The track bar made the severe push and suck from passing trucks go away and the shocks eliminated porpoising over expansion joints and other road defects. I still have addition of SumoSprings on the do to list.

I’ve made a long list of other improvements such as adding See-Level tank indicators, a Trimetric battery monitor and added 200 watts of solar with a SC-2030 solar charger that interfaced to the Trimetric. We also just junked the couch and replaced them with a set of RecPro recliners.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:24 PM   #16

THOR #11910
Thanks for all that info. Now I have to google all those terms to see what they are since I'm not electrical or mechanically inclined. LOL! But I WILL do it. Did you have the suspension stuff done by ford? I assume that's the bar you mentioned.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:50 PM   #17

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I put it all in myself. Not terribly hard, but the job requires a certain mastery of colorful language. If you want others to do the install, I suggest finding a shop that works on truck suspensions. Ford might do it, but Ford shops that will work on motor homes are pretty rare.

When/if I add SumoSprings, I’ll have a local suspension shop do it. Fronts are possible DYI, but the rears require removing tires. Too much for me.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:18 PM   #18

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
I have the 29.3 and have been through them all, had a truck camper went to a Diesel Pusher to a 5th wheel to another 5th wheel to a class C to the ACE. The ACE is convenient and easy to maneuver but like said has less storage space than a 5er, what that means is you just pick what you really need to carry. I am retiring next june and we will be living in ours 7-9 months out of the year. What I will tell you about the ACE's or actually any of the gas F53 coaches, you usually have to make some mods to get them to handle decent, sway bar adjustments, front and rear track bars and not necessary but some like changing the shocks and adding sumo springs. 5th wheels pull great in wind, these big boxes not so much, the track bar and sway bars pretty much handle Semi caused sway but side gust winds not so much, but consider you will see semi's also swaying in strong winds so you do have that

Oh, one thing about the ACE's they have the bunk overhead, for retirement that is just useless, we said we would take the grand kids but it never happens, not all is lost though, I removed half of the bunk and use the front part for a shelf for storage.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace 30.3, full time