Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
The other positive for a diesel that I factored into my thinking is that at 100,000 miles, the diesel is just getting broken in while the gas engine is considered old at best - which makes a difference in resale value. However, 100,000 miles for me is 10 years and most of the coach "systems" will need to be replaced and I don't keep a motor home that long anyway.
Ah but the V-10's longevity is close to that--if taken care of. There are airport buses with the V-10 with several hundreds of thousands of miles on them running just fine.

Granted I'm sure there are also blown up/burnt out/etc. V-10s with only thousands or hundreds of miles on them as well (as there are Diesels too).

Our F-250 I traded it in with 138,000 miles on it. It was running great with the original spark plugs and it never broke an exhaust stud either (a common problem with the Triton engines--my F-350 broke two exhaust studs at around 50,000 miles).

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #22

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Another factor for me was access to service and parts. While not every Ford dealer will work on motor homes there are a great many that will and many more truck or independent shops will do so as well. And you can get parts just about everywhere. Don't know if all MB dealers will work on MHs but there are far fewer of them to begin with. And I know from my MB auto that they are very expensive places to visit!
Old 07-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskyline View Post
Super D,

Your experience is invaluable to The Retired Librarians. I did do the gas vs. diesel calculations and found the following:

For gas at $2.20/gal travelling 100K miles at 7 miles per gal. will cost about $31,427.00

For diesel at $2.60/gal at 14 miles per gal. cost is about $18,571.00 (DEF not incl.)

Given the difference in oil changes, initial cost, finding mechanics, and cargo weight issues, looks like we need to rethink what we've thought.

Anyone else have thoughts on gas vs. diesel in a class c MH?
I have one thought , the generator. On a gas motorhome the gas generator pulls fuel from the main tank which is generally 55 gallons or better.

With a diesel Mercedes coach the only ones I have seen were equipped with a propane generator which uses the onboard propane tank for a fuel source.
This will restrict your run time and i find it much more inconvenient to find and load propane as opposed to gasoline.

I can't tell you the number of times we have the generator running while going down the road . We run it to cook while traveling , run the coach a/c or to power the tv for the grandkids.

Another thing , I read a horror story recently about problems associated with the Mercedes chassis DEF system .

I own a Thor Vegas 24.1 which is built on Ford E450 chassis. Thankfully I have had good luck.
Ford makes a quality product that can be serviced in far more places then a Benz.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #24

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Like someone just posted, I too was dead set on buying a Mercedes Sprinter chassis RV, until I drove one and compared the price. Purchased the Axis 24.1 on the E450 chassis instead. More room, more comfortable and don't have to worry about dealing with Mercedes Benz. Just my personal opinion. As I have commented before, if it works for you, that is the most important thing. I have a close relative that just turns his nose up the minute you mention that there is a Ford chassis under the coach (Chevrolet man....).... I ignore him....
Old 07-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
State: South Carolina
THOR #8218
I have actually laid down in the Thor Vegas 24.1 and found there was an opening at the end of one bed into the closet where I could fit my feet from my 6' 7" frame. That was a big (no pun intended) positive. I'll have to see if I can find one in the Ford 450 version near me here in Maine. Thanks, again.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #26

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Another thing to consider on chassis maintenance; the Mercedes Sprinter "A" Service is at 20,000 mile intervals (perhaps 13 quarts of Mercedes specified oil) . I don't know what the Ford E-series requires but oil changes for gas engines are usually more frequent. Also, along with CCC numbers you should check your fresh/gray/black tank capacities just in case you want to dry camp (boondock).

Whatever choice you make rest assured that you will have repair issues while under warranty - and afterward too, but all of that is part of "the adventure"!

Regards,
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote