Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2021, 05:06 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #22391
New to Thor and RVLife

Hi all,
We are seriously considering the 2021 Thor Chateau 22' E350. We were not aware until after we got home about the 2020 recalls for engine cover (which looks like a pretty easy fix), and issues related to BIM/BIR from Jan 17, 2021 (checking by the auto VIN it seems only the engine cover issue needs to be addressed).
The Dealer we went to never said anything; when we called to check they said they were not aware of it (even though Recall was issued Dec 17, 2020).
This would be only our 2nd RV purchase, so we are curious to hear:
1) If anyone is familiar with the recalls (3 in total) for this model, esp due to the
change to a V8 engine ?
2) Would folks be wary of purchasing an RV w/the recalls (manuf recall #20S73)
3) Obviously, we would not buy it until it was independently checked out. Dealer seemed a little hinky on that, but we were firm about that.

Thanks for any advice. We are looking forward to as many trips as we can, since sadly my husband has just gotten a serious medical diagnosis. He is in great shape right now and hopefully will have years left for travel to Nat'l Parks, his greatest love.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with that model, but I might be wary of that dealer.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Most RV dealers will not know or care about recalls for the chassis since that has to be handled by the chassis manufacturer..... Ford in this case.

Only the BIM /BIR would be related to Thor and it sounds like it is not needed on this coach.

I don't think you need to worry about the switch from the V10 to the V8 in a 22' Class C. Given pasat experience I personally would not purchase a Class C over 25' because the length, hieght and weight start pushing the capabilities of the stock Ford Suspension for the E-Series. But for a 22' Class the new V8 would not bother me at all.

It would also not bother me about recalls on the chassis. Automobiles have recalls all the time. I purchased a 2020 Magnitude Super C 18 months ago on a 2019 F-550. I have had a couple minor recalls on it that Ford has handled.

There may be other who can comment on their experience with the new V8.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:44 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site.

I wouldn't worry about the V8 reports on here are that it is very capable.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #5

State: California
THOR #22391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Most RV dealers will not know or care about recalls for the chassis since that has to be handled by the chassis manufacturer..... Ford in this case.

Only the BIM /BIR would be related to Thor and it sounds like it is not needed on this coach.

I don't think you need to worry about the switch from the V10 to the V8 in a 22' Class C. Given pasat experience I personally would not purchase a Class C over 25' because the length, hieght and weight start pushing the capabilities of the stock Ford Suspension for the E-Series. But for a 22' Class the new V8 would not bother me at all.

It would also not bother me about recalls on the chassis. Automobiles have recalls all the time. I purchased a 2020 Magnitude Super C 18 months ago on a 2019 F-550. I have had a couple minor recalls on it that Ford has handled.

There may be other who can comment on their experience with the new V8.
Thanks so much for your reply - appreciate itt. I have family who work for Ford, and others who explained same as you re: recalls, which happen all the time.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #6
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Good Luck with that. Per recall, they are not allowed to sell it until fixed.
Our friends are trying to purchase a 2021 Chateau 27R for over a month now and the dealer (Lazy Days in Knoxville) will not sell it to them They put a down payment on it but as per the recall, no dealer is allowed to sell one without first the recall being addressed.
The problem is that they are not allowed to drive it to the dealer and the Ford dealer does not yet have the materials to repair it and that if it needs to be repaired in the first place. All vehicles are supposed to be inspected to see if there is even an issue with it.

Quote from Ford.

Summary
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2021 E-350 and E-450 vehicles. The underside of the engine cover may have mispositioned insulation, allowing the cover to get excessively hot.

Remedy
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the engine cover for gaps between the rubber seal and the insulation. If gaps are present, the dealer will install engine cover insulation patches in the right hand and left hand inner lower corners of the engine cover. The dealer will also update the powertrain calibration for heat management under elevated idle conditions should a vehicle be equipped with SEIC or BCP, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 8, 2021. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford’s number for this recall is 20S73.

SERVICE ACTION

DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any new in-stock vehicles involved in this safety recall. A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers when parts are available to support this safety recall.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/6873/safety-...ford-econoline
Old 03-02-2021, 02:57 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
Good Luck with that. Per recall, they are not allowed to sell it until fixed.
Our friends are trying to purchase a 2021 Chateau 27R for over a month now and the dealer (Lazy Days in Knoxville) will not sell it to them They put a down payment on it but as per the recall, no dealer is allowed to sell one without first the recall being addressed.
The problem is that they are not allowed to drive it to the dealer and the Ford dealer does not yet have the materials to repair it and that if it needs to be repaired in the first place. All vehicles are supposed to be inspected to see if there is even an issue with it.

Quote from Ford.

Summary
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2021 E-350 and E-450 vehicles. The underside of the engine cover may have mispositioned insulation, allowing the cover to get excessively hot.

Remedy
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the engine cover for gaps between the rubber seal and the insulation. If gaps are present, the dealer will install engine cover insulation patches in the right hand and left hand inner lower corners of the engine cover. The dealer will also update the powertrain calibration for heat management under elevated idle conditions should a vehicle be equipped with SEIC or BCP, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 8, 2021. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford’s number for this recall is 20S73.

SERVICE ACTION

DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any new in-stock vehicles involved in this safety recall. A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers when parts are available to support this safety recall.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/6873/safety-...ford-econoline
One problem, the vehicles have already been sold to Thor and Ford Service Bulletins do not apply to RV dealers.

To the OP, if you have not yet purchased the vehicle I would make the recall application part of the purchase order and require that it be applied and supporting documentation supplied at the PDI. Be aware , however, this might delay delivery a few days.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:30 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our virtual campfire!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote