Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2021, 04:11 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #20430
New traveler

Hello all, I am new. I am 70 years old and I was living in Florida not where I'm from originally but I was done with Florida. So I sold my home and bought a 2015 Thor Majestic 23A which is a 25-footer based on Ford E350 V8. I am a full-timer and I am in Texas. So much to learn. I have no regrets. Could have done a better job research on the RV that I purchased from a private owner. Apparently this was a Cruise America rental. The person I bought it from did not give me details. And it seems hard to get information from either Cruise America or Thor.

Today my question is what is the best internet for a person living in an RV. Comcast wants an actual physical home address. Hughes Net is relatively expensive for person living on Social Security. I am a T-Mobile customer for my phone with data. However I still need internet access from an unlimited supplier. I like to watch movies and sports and news, excetera. Federal Parks do not offer internet and state parks don't offer great service. I noticed people have DirecTV satellite hookups. Everything costs a lot of money. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Michael McMahon

Old 01-27-2021, 05:16 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Mike View Post
Hello all, I am new. I am 70 years old and I was living in Florida not where I'm from originally but I was done with Florida. So I sold my home and bought a 2015 Thor Majestic 23A which is a 25-footer based on Ford E350 V8. I am a full-timer and I am in Texas. So much to learn. I have no regrets. Could have done a better job research on the RV that I purchased from a private owner. Apparently this was a Cruise America rental. The person I bought it from did not give me details. And it seems hard to get information from either Cruise America or Thor.

Today my question is what is the best internet for a person living in an RV. Comcast wants an actual physical home address. Hughes Net is relatively expensive for person living on Social Security. I am a T-Mobile customer for my phone with data. However I still need internet access from an unlimited supplier. I like to watch movies and sports and news, excetera. Federal Parks do not offer internet and state parks don't offer great service. I noticed people have DirecTV satellite hookups. Everything costs a lot of money. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Michael McMahon
T-Mobile Metro Smart hotspot has a 50-50 plan (50 gb for $50). I use the T-mobile for cell service and it works most everywhere I camp. The problem with cell data TV is we time shift and record sometimes 5 channels simultaneously. Only Dish or DirecTV allow this. You can get a basic Dish service for less than $50 a month after you buy the equipment and you can activate just as you need the service. For Internet, I have an ATT ZTE mobley which has am unlimited plan (after 17gb it may be throttled if the network is constrained). Unfortunately that plan and device has not been available for some time. Usually the cell connection is good enough for one HD data stream and since my DirecTV HS-17 receiver is Internet capable we just set it to record the Internet and watch it later.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Hu Mike!
Welcome aboard, and I hope the experts in here (I'm certainly NOT one of them ); can get you the answers you need.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:29 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi Mike

Welcome to the forum.

Paul
Old 01-27-2021, 01:30 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It takes a while to get used to maybe, but lots of folks have adjusted their entertainment criteria so OTA will fit their new less complicated needs.
Fast food places with Wi-Fi can be used to download movies and books from Amazon and other sources. You can check email easily while in their facility.

I don't have to, but I could get by easily with no internet or cable in an rv.
It would take very little thought to accomplish.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:35 PM   #6

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
I don't have answers but welcome to the forum.