Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2019, 02:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #16533
New travelers

Any suggestions on an association my wife and I should be members of while traveling this U.S.?

We have a 2018 Thor Citation with an AVM70 Axxera radio. This unit does not have Sirius XM compatibility. If I want XM radio do I need to get an AVM80 unit along with tuner or is there an easier way.

Thanks!

Neil

Old 08-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our campfire!
Sirius/XM sells all kinds of receivers. Why not take a stroll through their website, and see what they offer?
Happy shopping!
Old 08-29-2019, 11:36 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Congratulations! Welcome to our group! Passport America can save you the cost of membership in one or two nights.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #4

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum. We belong to Good Sam. I like their trip planner and you get discounts on good sam campgrounds.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I like Good Sam also.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:05 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I too like Good Sam plus I have Thousand Trails. Since I am in So. Cal there are over 26 Thousand Trail locations for me to visit whenever I like for the cost of my membership. I also use KOA at times.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Sirius/XM radio is somewhat of a confusion when it comes to 'Sirius/XM READY' vehicles - as it's only really an 'on screen' ready configuration, but you STILL have to buy your own 'radio' and install it within the rig - but it gives you the existing panel to control it by.

Now, some folks like me don't like that option, and just use a basic 'plug in' radio that simply plugs into the 'Aux' jack for your existing vehicle unit. I mounted mine on the dash nearby with two screws. I can also take it out anytime and use it any other of my vehicles.

As for 'memberships', nothing is required, and you may find that none really meet your criteria for how you 'camp', or 'travel'. Some will like the PassportAmerica 50% off deal, which is truly a great buy if you are willing to travel to those rv parks and campgrounds that accept it, with limitation by the park as to when and how they can be used.
The GoodSam is also fine if you simply want 10% off the 'normal' price at parks that accept it, but it also gives you a discounted price at CampingWorld retail stores, which I find to actually be much more useful than the park discount itself.
And, there are the campground 'memberships' that are similar to time shares, where you basically pay an upfront price for either free, or heavily discounted, stays, but only at 'their' parks, and possibly only at certain times of year, or with a future reservation, or only at certain 'sites' they allow.

None of these are going to always satisfy any traveler, especially if you travel extensively and during all times of the year, but a combination of several sometimes can be a better financial outcome that only a single membership.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil - submariner View Post
We have a 2018 Thor Citation with an AVM70 Axxera radio. This unit does not have Sirius XM compatibility. If I want XM radio do I need to get an AVM80 unit along with tuner or is there an easier way.

Thanks!

Neil
Sirius XM seems to be adding ‘app’ access to many packages... opening the option of using your phone to stream and connect via cable/Bluetooth to in dash radio. They used to charge extra for it.

Tie that with their $30 for 6 months promotion (call to cancel at end of 6 months and likely they will give it to you again), and it gets reasonable...

A separate tuner is certainly an option, but my toad is a soft top with Sirius compatible radio in dash... Don’t want a detached unit there.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:22 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
Sirius/XM radio is somewhat of a confusion when it comes to 'Sirius/XM READY' vehicles - as it's only really an 'on screen' ready configuration, but you STILL have to buy your own 'radio' and install it within the rig - but it gives you the existing panel to control it by.
The Kenwood in our rig was 100% ready... except for the subscription!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:37 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
XM Radio

My Thor Siesta radio is set up with the XM system and I just added the unit to my existing account from my other two cars that have it. Seems to work great cross country just as advertised. I use it all of the time.