Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2016, 12:48 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4634
New user considering a Challenger 37tb

Hi,

Just saying hello and introducing myself... I'm Charlie, and my wife and I are looking at purchasing a 2017 Thor Challenger 37tb.

As I'm sure everyone else that is new to the RV lifestyle has, we have many questions.

We paid a visit to a dealer today and spent a good amount of time looking and asking questions, but there are still plenty of questions yet asked and I look forward to hearing some first-hand advice from other, more experienced RV'ers on this forum.

Thanks,

Charlie

Old 06-27-2016, 12:59 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
echuck66 - ask away. We've been in ours for about 14 months and love it. We've had problems typical of virtually any 1st year of ownership. We've put 18,000 miles on ours wandering around both with just the two of us and with 3 or 4 grandkids. We use are as a convenient way of helping facilitate large family outings.

The bunk beds, massive basement storage, 1.5 baths, 5 TVs, drop down bunk and installed washer/dryer make the unit very livable. The 100 gals of fresh water, 2 - 40 gal grey & black water storage tanks help with the boondocking (we spend at least 2 months per year in Key West dry camping).

I see also that the GWVR is now 24000 vs 22000 for the 2015. That is very helpful when you are putting all your stuff on board. With the 2015, we must pay more attention to the weight in the massive basement.

Let me know what sort of question you have. More than glad to help.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:08 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4634
Thanks Big Ben. Good to see fellow vets on here too (9 years USAF, not retired, but still...).

A lot of the questions we have revolve primarily around technology issues like TV and Internet, primarily Internet connectivity, since I'm a software developer and pretty much need a reliable solution for my work.

I understand that there are three primary avenues to take: satellite (not the fastest), cellular and wifi (not the most reliable).

Of the three, I'm leaning towards a cellular solution, but have serious concerns regarding the costs. What types of connectivity to most RV'ers that work on the road use? Our cellular provider is Verizon, and we're quite happy with their coverage, but the data allotment for our plans are rather limited (4GB / mo). Do the hotspot plans offer more data usage than the regular cell voice plans?

Regarding TV, we're looking at satellite TV and a Winegard dish system that tracks the satellites while on the move. How do these systems work in regards to the receivers and the multiple TVs on the RV, specifically the one outside? If a separate receiver is required, where do people locate it for the outside TV and how do you change the channels if it's located inside?

Thanks in advance for any answers you or others can provide.

Charlie
Old 06-27-2016, 01:37 AM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Charlie - I am a poor one to ask about cellular. I still have a Verizon unlimited data plan. We use smart TVs, Fire Sticks, Apple TVs and tablets constantly. Sometimes more than 100GB per month and pay our normal fee for a hotspot but must buy our phones at full price.

Most campground have wifi but it is questionable speed because of all the fellow users that are probably streaming.

One of our fellow Challenger owners also has a large tech background. He is retiring soon and I am sure you give more insights than we can - we spoiled with the unlimited plan.

Techn0 is his Thor Forum name. Shoot him a private message for more info.

In all of our travel time with our grandkids, satellite on the move has not been an issue. If the kids want we simply put in a movie in the DVD player. Most of the time though we prefer they watch and learn from the country side.

The cost difference - generally about $1000 - for something used so rarely are $s we preferred to use on other accessories. We have the Tailgater 2 and enjoy. Takes about 5 minutes to setup at the new campground.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:34 AM   #5

State: Massachusetts
THOR #4636
Miramar 34.3 problems

Just purchased a Miramar 34.3 (bunkhouse), one step below your Challenger, with major slide issues.

Our issue is with our full wall slide, which you do not have in your RV. It doesn't look like they have installed the 3Trax system in any of your slides. But let me share what has occurred with our new Thor Miramar...

It came with the chassis AC inop. I overlooked due to the 60 degree weather and not turning it on during my 5 hour walk around. It had a number of other issues - but no big deal as we figured there would be "new RV issues" (this is our second experience buying a new RV).

Now with the BIG issue. After camping on our first weekend, we found that the slide was not extending/retracting properly. After an entire day talking with Thor techs (some of which got impatient with us) - we were told to bring it back to the dealer at 200 miles away...

We subsequently found that our 2017 Miramar was sold with an antiquated 2 track system found on the 2015 Miramar's vice the 3Trax system advertised in the brochure. Now we have the dealer doing "arts and crafts" on our brand new RV - leaving all the QC to me..... This made our experience UNSAT. The dealer has made efforts to make us feel better - but the fact remains that our RV was sold to us with older parts (or at least not the newer standard options that it was supposed to come with).

I have had no contact with Thor management thus far - but hoping that my posts start to get their attention soon. We are looking to discuss a warranty option on our now fabricated RV. Will keep you posted on how Thor stands by it's manufacturing deficiencies.

Good luck with your selection, and I hope your purchase goes well. Do share this Thor experience with the dealer during your negotiations. Significant QC issues going on at Thor at the moment and somewhat questionable customer service for no one from Thor to be calling us and explaining their mistake. The dealer service manager has been the only person to call repeatedly - and is truly trying his best to please us.