Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2018, 04:26 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #12326
new vegas 24.1 owner in so cal

hello all. I have been lurking past few weeks. I actually pick her up next Wednesday. I'm coming from a 1997 American Dream 39' dp. picked the vegas because my son is going to be playing college football and my daughter plays travel softball. the vegas is going to be perfect for tailgating. the dp was just a beast for little day or weekend trips. the test drive felt great. almost just like my e350 service van. I plan on getting way more use out of this than my beast. look forward to giving and receiving input as we go.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.

If you haven't already; download and read Ed's excellent crowd sourced Axis/Vegas owner's manual, found here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It sure seems that your weekends will be busy!
Congratulations, and Welcome aboard!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:52 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome! You didn't say if your new baby is new or new to you. You may miss the quality that you enjoyed with your American, but you may find that you can travel quite nicely in a smaller rig.

We traded a 33 foot gas Class A for our Vegas 25.2 three years ago, and never looked back. The single slide is much lighter and there are no power steps to deal with. It doesn't require DEF, and we can fuel at most bigger gas stations. We have about 2/3 of the storage area, both inside and out, and have found it adequate for the way we travel.

If your Vegas hasn't been aligned, do that asap, loaded like you would for travel. You might not notice much difference, or it might be like night and day.

Happy trails!
Old 07-16-2018, 02:07 AM   #5

THOR #12326
thanks all. I downloaded and have been reading Ed's list thank you sir. to mr sunshine, the coach is brand new 2018 and yes, storage is not it's strong point when downsizing. all my gear from old unit is in garage waiting for new to arrive so I can begin to figure out what I need and what was a convenience that can be left behind. But what I am going to work on for my glamis trips when boondocking is to adding a shelve or upper storage to my enclosed trailer for those that used to ride up front. plan is to drive around empty a day and then get her loaded down and see the difference. first upgrade is to add air bags to rear for the weight of the trailer to keep her leveled off. I want to go one upgrade at a time so I know what I need. I just don't want to throw a bunch of money at her on possibly things I might not need. one thing I'm bouncing back and forth on right now is to remove the exterior stickers or not.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:16 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Start with an alignment--not really a mod; more of a requirement.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:08 AM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Do you mind telling us where you are buying from?
Old 07-16-2018, 04:10 AM   #8

THOR #12326
mike thompsons in santa fe springs
Old 07-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #9

THOR #12326
printed out the check list and ready for tomorrows inspection anything not on the checklist that is on the site that you can think of?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:29 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I would shop around for the extended warrantee before you purchase the RV.

I didn’t want to be without one (my first RV) so I called up Good Sams and gave them my vin # (the day before I purchased RV) and they gave me a great deal (don’t remember exactly but something like $2200 for 4 years)? So when I purchased the RV from CW they were all about selling me their. I told them I was not interested and I already had a good quote. They started out at $6000 then $4000. I ended up purchasing CW extended warrantee for around $1999 for 5 years (not 4!). I figured one major problem its paid for.

Gave me a piece of mind.

Oh and when you make a deal shoot for 35 % - 40% off of sticker price. I got in aorund 35% off. And I had CW thow in a 40 inch smart TV to sweeten my deal (use it at the house - to big for my Axis).

Good luck.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:42 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Can I have you come along with me; the next time that I go car shopping?

I'll let you keep the TV!
Old 07-17-2018, 10:45 PM   #12

THOR #12231
Sure lets go, Im a wheeler dealer.

I look for a year before I buy anything major like a car or RV, Plus I showed at at CW about 20 times looking at all of the C's and A's before I pulled the trigger. I always know more about the vehicle than the sales person does.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:02 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Damn!
I'm pretty good at gathering information about the vehicles. I just come up short, when it comes to closing the deal!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:06 PM   #14

THOR #12231
That what she said. LOL.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:55 AM   #15

THOR #12326
so the 30 mile trip home impression coming from a 40' dp to the vegas. WOW, did not expect the easy handling. I expected somewhat easier but not like this. I have a E350 with a 10' steel plumbers body on it for my hvac business that I have been driving for past 9 years and it is as nimble as it. the only difference to me right now is the seating and the front porch in front of the steering wheel. there is a 1 mile hill just before my exit off the freeway that even carpoolers get lazy and slow but this thing has got balls. I know I'm not loaded down with gear yet but I'm guessing maybe 600-1000 lbs that I can pack into her won't make too much of diff. the water is full now. I will be loading her a bit next 2 days then this weekend taking her to daughters softball tournament and see how she goes. with her size and ease to just take off somewhere I am def going to get a lot more use out of her. can't wait
Old 07-19-2018, 03:07 AM   #16

THOR #12231
Glad you like her so far. I love mine. Enjoy and be safe.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Congrats!!! Sounds like fun in your future!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #18

THOR #10044
Axis /Vegas so cal

Congrats!
Axis 25.3 also here in So Cal. Yes, the size of the Axis/Vegas series gives you a lot for such a small package.
Great features too. Very innovative. We had to do an alignment right away. Unfortunately, we have had two major problems with ours and SO Cal dealers are always out 2 months or more for warranty service. All problems fixed now but one minor electrical problem. Still love the Axis though!
We tow a Jeep Liberty. The Axis handles it with ease.
We are heading out with the G-kids in a couple days. The G-daughter absolutely loves the drop down bunk.

If you need a storage facility a new one just opened up in Brea.
If you want info on it just send me a message.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:08 AM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBaby!!! View Post
so the 30 mile trip home impression coming from a 40' dp to the vegas. WOW, did not expect the easy handling. I expected somewhat easier but not like this. I have a E350 with a 10' steel plumbers body on it for my hvac business that I have been driving for past 9 years and it is as nimble as it. the only difference to me right now is the seating and the front porch in front of the steering wheel. there is a 1 mile hill just before my exit off the freeway that even carpoolers get lazy and slow but this thing has got balls. I know I'm not loaded down with gear yet but I'm guessing maybe 600-1000 lbs that I can pack into her won't make too much of diff. the water is full now. I will be loading her a bit next 2 days then this weekend taking her to daughters softball tournament and see how she goes. with her size and ease to just take off somewhere I am def going to get a lot more use out of her. can't wait
Yeah it's a little hot rod. I am assuming you have the V10? I know they are on the 25.2 but wasn't sure about the 24.1

They use the same engine on lots bigger coaches, so we have speed demons. As most will tell you Sumo Springs really make them handle better especially when trucks pass. Be prepared to have some minor issues, just get the dealer to take care of them under warranty. Make sure you check and try everything. We never tried the emergency start switch and sure enough it didn't work.

Enjoy