RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2020, 06:07 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Mulerider's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
Posts: 8
THOR #21314
New Windsport 29M owner from Arizona

My wife and I are long time trailer campers but now are enjoying a class A. This is an excellent forum with great information and help. It's sad to see an industry that's causing so many headaches from poor workmanship. We bought our 2019 Windsport 29 M this summer used from a private owner. He was a mechanic and had installed a banks exhaust system, two 6volt golf cart batteries, solar, and an extra 25 gallon fresh water tank. I ended up installing 4 Timbrens and a Road master sway bar. These really helped with the ride and the swaying. We did have the 1 1/2 abs pipe shear off from the slide out pinching the pipe. I installed a swivel connector after reading about this problem from others on this forum. Thanks for the great advice. But I did end up using a tie wrap to hold the large bundle of wires which were still pinching the pipe as it retracted. We put on over 3k miles going to Montana from Arizona with a little over 8 mpg. Wonder if this is great, average, or poor. Thanks, Sharon and Marc
__________________

__________________
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,707
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
My wife and I are long time trailer campers but now are enjoying a class A. This is an excellent forum with great information and help. It's sad to see an industry that's causing so many headaches from poor workmanship. We bought our 2019 Windsport 29 M this summer used from a private owner. He was a mechanic and had installed a banks exhaust system, two 6volt golf cart batteries, solar, and an extra 25 gallon fresh water tank. I ended up installing 4 Timbrens and a Road master sway bar. These really helped with the ride and the swaying. We did have the 1 1/2 abs pipe shear off from the slide out pinching the pipe. I installed a swivel connector after reading about this problem from others on this forum. Thanks for the great advice. But I did end up using a tie wrap to hold the large bundle of wires which were still pinching the pipe as it retracted. We put on over 3k miles going to Montana from Arizona with a little over 8 mpg. Wonder if this is great, average, or poor. Thanks, Sharon and Marc
8 mpg is average for the 29m. I tow a jeep with mine and get 7.5 to 8.5 all dependant on terrain

Jerry
__________________

__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 3,052
THOR #6826
I donít have your model but a similar size. Iíd say 8 mpg is pretty good. I get anywhere between 6.8 and 8 in the last 20,000 miles.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,826
THOR #8860
By the way: Welcome to our Campfire!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta 24SS
State: California
Posts: 991
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. We are here to listen and help out anyone with questions/concerns. We also love to hear about new items/installs you come across.


Paul
__________________
paulwadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:07 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Mulerider's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
Posts: 8
THOR #21314
Thanks for your reply Jerry, look forward doing some of your upgrades. I'm going to install some sound material in the engine cowling to help with the noise.
__________________
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:26 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 1,191
THOR #11781
I wish I got 8 in my 29M. I get around 6 towing a CR-V. Your 8 would be a 33% increase in range. Do you have real gas in Arizona or the corn stuff?
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
coachray's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
Posts: 735
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum
__________________
coachray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Mulerider's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
Posts: 8
THOR #21314
We have real gas and at Costco it's $ 1.69. I don't know if the Banks system has given us better mileage as it was already installed when we bought it. He also installed a large K&M air filter. Thanks for your reply.
__________________
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
Posts: 575
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
We have real gas and at Costco it's $ 1.69. I don't know if the Banks system has given us better mileage as it was already installed when we bought it. He also installed a large K&M air filter. Thanks for your reply.
I also get 8 mpg avg..towing a fiat 500 doesn't seem to change much... but with my enclosed trailer it'll drop to 7 mpg,..

I think in 2019 there was an eairly and later chassis ,.. my first 2018 i did a lot of mods to the chassis, the 2019 i've done nothing... she runs like a mouse in slippers...I did notice this after a ford tech told me.... never drive in cruise controll in the hills,.. the program doesn't enrichen the fuel to power mode and it stays in econo, loss of power causes more radical down shifts
__________________
vegasruv24.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:22 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Elite Washington's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
Posts: 462
THOR #6433
Congratulations and welcome and 8mpg sounds about right.
__________________
2017 Freedom Elite 30fe 2013 Wrangler Unlimited toad.
Elite Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:29 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,826
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
We have real gas and at Costco it's $ 1.69. I don't know if the Banks system has given us better mileage as it was already installed when we bought it. He also installed a large K&M air filter. Thanks for your reply.
My folks installed a Banks system on their Holiday Rambler: they jumped from 5mpg: to over 8...
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:08 AM   #13
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 90
THOR #19102
We have a 2020 29m and we average 10-11 depending on grade. Thats not towing anything.
__________________
Campnjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:21 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Mulerider's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
Posts: 8
THOR #21314
That's really great mileage. What speed do you usually drive at. I'm traveling 65 to 70. The trips I did this summer were to Montana, which is uphill all the way from Arizona. So maybe that cut my mileage down.
__________________
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:24 AM   #15
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 90
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
That's really great mileage. What speed do you usually drive at. I'm traveling 65 to 70. The trips I did this summer were to Montana, which is uphill all the way from Arizona. So maybe that cut my mileage down.
I stay at 65 and check my tire pressure religiously.
__________________
Campnjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:27 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Mulerider's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
Posts: 8
THOR #21314
OK now the big question. What pressure. I'm at 90lbs. Seems there are some many answers from 85 to 115. Thanks for your reply.
__________________
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:41 AM   #17
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 90
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
OK now the big question. What pressure. I'm at 90lbs. Seems there are some many answers from 85 to 115. Thanks for your reply.
My sticker states 82lbs so thats what I run.
__________________
Campnjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:52 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
Posts: 4
THOR #19713
We have a 2019 29m as well.
I had to replace the outside sink drainline, it was broken is 2 places. There was 10 fittings in a 2’ run, crazy. Do you have a pic of what you did for the slide drain that was pinched?

We installed steering stabilizer, front & rear sway bars, bilstein shocks, and sumo’s. The sumo’s were a huge improvement.
__________________
LKH63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:52 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Mulerider's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
Posts: 8
THOR #21314
I hope these pics help. The grey hose is the flex hose and it makes a loop. I just have a short piece of abs connecting to the flex hose. The 1 1/2 swivel threads into the grey tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201105_145524.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	27327   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201105_145359.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	27328  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201105_145345.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	27329  
__________________

__________________
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
arizona, gas mileage, windsport 29m

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×