Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #6449
New guy.

Hello everyone, thought I'd introduce myself. Names Michael. The wife and I are going to sell our house and most of our stuff and go full time. We are looking at the Hurricane 34P. I work offshore on a 3 week on/off schedule so our plan is to travel when I'm home and she stays put till I get back and we continue on. Thankfully we have lots of family that's willing to allow us to stay on their properties in our hometown for free if we are in the area. Which is awesome. Been researching this for years and finally decided to jump. Well it took her a while. Anybody have some insight on the Hurricane 34P? Or any words of wisdom on full-time living?
We are only 33 years old. No kids and 3, yes 3 dogs.

Looking forward to this adventure.

Mike.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
THOR #1249
Welcome to the forum Mike. Can't comment on the 34P or full-timing, but I'm sure some here will. Hope you find the just what you are looking for. Glad to hear you have been researching for years. Two important top list items to keep in mind; make sure the dealer has a good reputation for service after the deal. Also, make sure everything is working before you sign the papers. You can get a PDI list here on the forum that will help and perhaps some 34P owners will have specific areas to check.
Happy trails
Old 03-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
We own a 29M, looked at the 34P and think it has a great layout, love the double sinks in the bathroom. I think you would be very happy full-time with this coach. Lots of room, great storage, personally I love the outside kitchen. Good choice!!!
Old 03-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #4

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Welcome Michael.
Your unit has 40 gal grey and black capacity along with 50 gal fresh. Besides free parking on relatives property you wife may be able to go it alone for a few weeks before tank attention while you're out. This would allow her to spend days at the seashore wherever free parking is available. Find a few places that have free or low cost dump stations and that can be extended. Anyway with the king bed and ample floor space you guys and your furry kids will enjoy.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #5

THOR #6449
Hi guys, yes we definitely love the space it has. We spent a lot of time looking around. It's gonna be an adjustment for my wife. Going from 2400 sqft to an RV. I'm used to small spaces working on these boats but definitely had to find a spacious one for the old lady. I don't see her driving it alone, but hopefully I can get her comfortable with it. Definitely looking to replace the water heater with a tankless model. I'd blame the wife but that's me a long showers when we are hooked up. Can't wait to explore this country.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:08 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your decisions! Yes, it will be an adventure!

There are some great full timer forums and blogs online. Your friends here will help you and your wife with technical RV questions.

Happy trails!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:18 AM   #7

THOR #5196
Munoz, I would do some research before I invested in a tankless water heater. I've read numerous complaints about how hard it is to adjust water temps. We have a 6 gallon and have no problems with showers, very quick recovery time, you have to work hard to run out of hot water. The RV tankless heaters don't perform near as well as the home units. Check first, maybe someone else will chime in with a different opinion.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:43 AM   #8

THOR #6449
SuperD, I've been looking into them and have read reviews. There's pretty much no grey area on reviews its either love or hate. Can always just try it out and if I don't like it can always return it.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #9

THOR #5196
Great that you've read about them, I firmly believe in being an informed buyer. Won't be long now before you're sitting in the drivers seat!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #10

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Just remember the number one rule of the road. Have plenty of chips, Pizza Rolls, beer, hot dogs, burgers, ribs, beer, steaks, tacos, spaghetti, soda, beer, milk, beer, orange juice, coffee, beer, cookies, donuts, beer, potatoes, beer, carrots, beer, asparagus, corn on the cob, beer, watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, beer, pizza, hot pockets, eggs, beer, bacon, beer, biscuits, gravy, beer, hash browns, sausage, beer, green beans, salt, pepper, catsup, mustard, bread, jelly, butter, beer, honey, pork chops, beer, chicken, BBQ sauce, English muffins, peas, pot roast, tuna fish, miracle whip, lettuce, tomato, bologna, cheese, beer, salami, ham, beer, old fashioned loaf, raisin bread, beer, and oh yeah did I mention beer!
Old 03-23-2017, 07:04 AM   #11

THOR #6449
You forgot the beer in that list. Either that or Rum.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:32 PM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Back to the question about tankless water heater. Suggest you give the standard unit a good try before you rush to replace. You might be surprised how long it can run before chilling.
We really like the Rinnai tankless in our sticks and bricks. Seems silly to maintain 30 or 40 gallons of hot H2O when we aren't around, or while we sleep.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:43 AM   #13

THOR #6449
We stay at my aunts cabin in the smokey mountains every year. It has a 10 gallon water tank and its miserable with the wife to take showers.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #14

THOR #5196
Like Mr Sunshine said, give it a try first, you might be surprised.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #15

THOR #6449
Believe me I'd much rather not spend the money but happy wife happy life. We will see.