Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Vegas 25.2
State: Michigan
THOR #14701
Newb

Hello all,

New member here and just wanted to say Hi and that I’ve been impressed with the members here and the wealth of knowledge and willingness to help.

I’ve recently acquired a new to me 2017 Vegas 25.2. Unit has checked out good but has a weak chassis battery!

Wondering if someone could give me a recommendation and part number for a replacement?
Would like to go with an AGM type.
Planning on gaining access thru desk removal procedure so one with a handle strap may be preferred am I correct?

Semper Fi!

Old 03-16-2019, 01:53 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your purchase. We have really enjoyed our 25.2.

Did you check the water in the chassis battery? The original batteries, both chassis and coach, in my 2016 Vegas are still doing fine, but I have been careful to keep the water up and never let them completely discharge.

Any auto parts place can match your battery for a like replacement. You can lift a top post battery with a pair of vise grips, or many of today's batteries have a built in strap.

I can't help you with the AGM question, someone else here will have to chime in.

You'll find a lot of useful information in the excellent crowd-sourced manual that forum guru Ed Felker put together. So superior to the generic manual provided by Thor.

Here's the link: https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP53x246awlGrg8B-I
Old 03-16-2019, 02:35 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Congratulations! Welcome to our group!
Old 03-16-2019, 02:41 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Vegas 25.2
State: Michigan
THOR #14701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your purchase. We have really enjoyed our 25.2.

Did you check the water in the chassis battery? The original batteries, both chassis and coach, in my 2016 Vegas are still doing fine, but I have been careful to keep the water up and never let them completely discharge.

Any auto parts place can match your battery for a like replacement. You can lift a top post battery with a pair of vise grips, or many of today's batteries have a built in strap.

I can't help you with the AGM question, someone else here will have to chime in.

You'll find a lot of useful information in the excellent crowd-sourced manual that forum guru Ed Felker put together. So superior to the generic manual provided by Thor.

Here's the link: https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP53x246awlGrg8B-I
I was able to spend a little time with the Vegas today and discovered that the Chassis battery has been replaced at some point with a Deka AGM. The date sticker is not punched so not sure when.
The reason I think it is weak is it reads 12.5 volts after letting it set for a day. The house batteries are always at 12.7 or 12.8 volts! Maybe I’m jumping the gun! Guess I’ll give it a little time and see what happens with it.

There was a printed copy of Ed Felkers manual in the coach! Yes, it is a awesome source of info and I have read most of it already!

Thanks for the reply Mr. Sun!
Old 03-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #5

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.