Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2018, 07:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.3
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12107

Hi Everyone,

My name is Ken and my traveling partner is Katie (she is a rescue dog who actually rescued me!) and we are brand new to this whole thing.

I have been wanting to do this for years but life just kept getting in the way but now it's happening. I feel like I ran away from home but I also feel like a 10 ton weight was lifted off my shoulders.

I bought a 2018 Thor ACE 30.3 in May and moved into it the second day I had it. I mostly wanted to get Katie used to it but I realized it was a big adjustment for me too.

Since I didn't put my house on the market until August, I had plenty of time to "Move In" and "Get Adjusted".

I casually moved my life into the Motor Home and sold off or just got rid of so many things that pile up in 30 years (and I'm a minimalist, not a hoarder in any way, so I thought).

The hardest thing for me was getting rid of so many tools. I've been in the trades for so many years (and I was a Navy SEABEE) that I had tools for every trade imaginable.

Then, as I thought I had my house empty and put it on the market, I realized I had alot more stuff, it was just smaller and I kept thinking it's no big deal, I'll take care of it... Famous Last Words...

Well, I did it. Sold the house and emptied it, mostly in my storage spaces in my Motor Home.

At first I took a short road trip to get the hang of it and WHAT A SURPRISE!!

I went back to my new "Home Base" and began to unload.

No more glassware, no more silverware, no more porcelain dishes, all that became plastic really fast. First because of the noise and second because of the weight. Weight is a big issue and needs to be minimized and glass is too heavy and noisy.

So, as I am traveling, I am slowly but surely getting rid of things I don't use, need, or can replace with a lighter, collapsible version.

It's hard to put a price on what this is costing me because I'm still new to this and working out the kinks but I will update this when I get a better grip on things.

Thanks for listening,

Ken

Old 10-27-2018, 11:19 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome to the site.

I had a similar experience this past spring: I had helped a family member move out of their house into a small apartment. The amount of stuff they had to get rid of was eye opening (especially since much of the stuff I was saying "Hmm I have this exact box of crap at home...why am I keeping it??").
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:13 AM   #3

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the site.

I had a similar experience this past spring: I had helped a family member move out of their house into a small apartment. The amount of stuff they had to get rid of was eye opening (especially since much of the stuff I was saying "Hmm I have this exact box of crap at home...why am I keeping it??").
Huh. I got three sheds full of that stuff. And every time I get rid of it, I turn around and go buy it again cause I need it.