Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #22115

in the early stages deciding of which B/B+ or tiny C will make the cut for our family - I like the smallness and versatility of the B's - but after touring the Revel (for 4wd capabilities) I am having second thoughts - leaning towards a Compass which we also toured at the same time - like that it is narrow but expandable - I know everything is a compromise - we just need to refine which items we are willing to compromise on most. We will be doing 3-3.5 season travel - hubby, one cat and one dog and a grand sense of adventure. Seems to me that in the first few years they hold their price after driving off the lot new - is that just pandemic pricing? Is or has there been a dip in quality in the last couple of years that results in older models holding value pretty well? just curious... ty

Old 02-09-2021, 03:54 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Most of the fun is in the shopping...
At least until the "camping part" gets started!
Welcome to our virtual RV Park...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Look at several models and narrow it down to what matters(things you need, things you think you need and things that would be nice to have). Also look at what you fell comfortable driving and parking. Test drive several models around.

Paul
Old 02-09-2021, 06:16 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
While in a model, think about what it would be like to make use of it. Where would clothes go? Dishware? Food? Camp chairs and other outdoor items? Where will the cat (if it's going) and dog sleep? etc... That should help to narrow down the floorplan options.

Enjoy the search!
Old 02-10-2021, 12:05 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!
It is a good idea to buy gently used for your first RV. It's not unusual that you find that the unit you thought was just right turns out to be not quite so.
Your new RV will lose a lot of value when you drive it off the dealer lot. Maybe 20%. There's a big difference between what a used coach is worth when you are selling and the dealer's asking price. They have to have that margin to keep the lights on and pay the staff. After 5 years, an RV may be worth 50% of what you paid. That's why it looks like they hold their value when you are shopping for a lightly used rig. Before you buy an RV, check out a site like NADAguides.com. Then get somebody to check it out mechanically for you. Your new friends here are anxious to help!
Old 02-10-2021, 01:20 AM   #6

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
I had read something close to what Mr. Sunshine said, but I don't think it is 20% driving off the lot. Like he said, check out nada and you can research the depreciation for yourself.

A wonderful bit of advice I received was that you buy it for the experience, not as an investment.

Another bit of advice that I didn't follow was to get one slightly bigger than you think you want, otherwise you will end up trading it in in 12 - 18 months. Well it only took us 6 months to trade in our first trailer.

Good luck in your search.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:32 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Joe is right: get the size right on the first try...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0904201631b.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	28512  
Old 02-10-2021, 03:16 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
All of the above....try hard to get the right size and maybe go a little bit bigger than you think is right. But if you do find you missed don’t hesitate to sell it or trade it in on a closer match. It’ll never be worth more than it is at that moment! It’s about the experience it’s not an investment. All good advice. It took us three tries to get the right unit. Our first was a 2017 Thor Freedom Elite that we kept for 7 months and 8,000 miles. We got almost exactly what we paid for it on trade and still got 29% off on the new unit. I think it’s because it was still the current model year and there weren’t any others of that particular model in the area at the time. It all depends on whether someone wants it. Enjoy your search and your travels
Old 02-10-2021, 04:34 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We hit on the right unit; with our second attempt...
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1612974787

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1612974836
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	28517   Click image for larger version

Name:	0712201247_resized.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	28518  

Old 02-10-2021, 04:48 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Sure do like your SOB Bob. How long did you have the Outlaw?
Old 02-10-2021, 06:53 PM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The 20% loss is just to the price you paid.
Now factor in the sometimes 11% tax you lost, the 2% licensing and the discount below NADA the buyer will DEMAND (just as the first buyer did with msrp) and in some states you're headed well beyond a 30% loss in a good market with a desired unit, 50% in a bad...the very day after you bought the thing.
Same for some cars.
More for furniture and computers.
80% on some phones.
Keep it a while and you get to add in multiple license costs and possibly loan interest.

Rv's are just consumer items.
Be prepared for the loss. It's yours, and it's certain.

My purchase?
The prior owner who bought it new lost more than $30,000(plus the top line $8500 warranty we transferred)in 66 days of ownership. He didn't care. He bought a passenger sprinter to replace his 24.1 mistake. And, like me for the 24.1, drove 2100 miles, one-way, to get it.

Aside:
It's not an asset until it's gone and converted to after tax cash.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:19 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Sure do like your SOB Bob. How long did you have the Outlaw?
15 Months...
Old 02-20-2021, 10:18 PM   #13

Model: Gemini 23TB
State: Tennessee
THOR #19707
If you are not bringing a car along I recommend that you look at the B+. I have a Gemini and have had it now for 3 years. For the 1st 2 years we did not pull a car behind and used the coach going site seeing and shopping. It drives easily and parks about like a large dually pickup truck. My wife and I have been full time in an RV since 2004 downsizing from a house to a 33 foot 5th wheel. At the first of last year we downsized to the Gemini, which we had traveled in already, selling the 5th wheel. There are always trade-offs and it depends on your attitude as much as anything else. A class B will maybe drive you nuts with setting up the bed and taking it down each night. The restricted bathroom may also not be to your liking. A class B+ generally eliminates those issues and is still easy to drive and easy on fuel.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:01 PM   #14

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
My only issue with a B, B+ or tiny C is on those rainy days that your trapped indoors is gonna get VEEEERRRRYY close! Typically they're so small you'll have to go outside to change your mind!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:10 AM   #15

Model: 23TB
State: Illinois
THOR #9509
I had a C which was older and got 7 MPG. Then it died (RIP) and I bought a B, which gets 17 MPG! Much better. The cabover feature of the C didn’t end up being a place to sleep, just to store a bunch of stuff that I never used. I didn’t like the way it hung over the windshield. However, the bugs liked it. I have been happy with my classB.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #16

THOR #4227
We started out in a 1990 Chevy Chasis 24 foot class C.LOVED it.Did not like the outdated handling.Traded in for a used 2010 Thour Freedom elite 21C’,on a Ford Chasis with the mighty V 10.Love the shiny ness and new condition of it.I keep it that way,even keep wheel shine on the wheels.It is great for driving,doee not feel much bigger than my Chevy cargo van.HOWEVER,we do feel the size of the coach when camping.Tight quarters for 2 people.Way to small when we bring the dog and cat.We both wish we would have kept the 24 foot Chevy.We recently checked out a 2021 Jayco 27 footer on a Chevy Chasis.Build qualityof the coach was GARBAGE.So much so,that my wife and I quit looking at ANYTHING brand new.Very disappointing.The quality of materials,and build quality has gone to SHIT as manufactures try to jump on the band wagon of more features,such as LED lighting,big flat screen TVs and slides.As a salesman I get it,people want all the latest and greatest features,but dont want to pay for it,so companies have to cut cost somewhere.
Feel free to reach out anytime.
Larry
Old 02-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #17

THOR #4227
Please keep us posted and share pics when you do pull the trigger.Smart move joining this forum.Great info from people that have done trial and error definately not a site of people just spewing their opinions as facts.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #18

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Keep lookimg there is bound to be the right one out there for you guys.

Paul
Old 02-23-2021, 12:45 AM   #19

State: Maryland
THOR #4676
I like the Class C with one slide out

Hi Newbie,

My husband and I went from a 5th-wheel to a Four Winds we had for two years and traded in for another Four Winds with a slide out because my husband and I travel with two large dogs and cooking in the first Four Winds I had to reach over the dogs laying on the floor to cook. With our new Four Winds the entire driver's side slides out and its amazing how much more room there is in the RV. You don't want to buy an RV too big for your needs but I don't think my spouse or I would want to be as close as a Class B provides either. Can you rent one of each for a trial?