Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Oklahoma
THOR #6508
No car no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by V&D axis View Post
We were thinking more the second. Getting to new place and exploring the area/town/points of interest. We’re thinking hook up and undoing wouldn’t be that big a deal but we’ve never done it.
Thank you for you insights.
Vikki
We have a 2016 24.1 Vegas and we have been from Oklahoma to Yellowstone, Tetons, down through Utah and had no problems at all. Set up/take down is complete in less than 10 minutes... no kidding!
We are small enough to drive in town and park in a regular parking spot.
We did add the Saf-T plus steering stabilizer to help with the wind. It IS windy in Oklahoma.
Good luck and have fun with your RV

Old 11-03-2018, 07:54 PM   #22

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Florida
THOR #4028
Enterprise Rental

We use our Thor Quantum rs26 as a mobile bedroom and seldom stay in one place more than a couple of days. A couple of years ago I set up an account with Enterprise Rent a Car for those times that I need a car. In those 2 years I have only used the service once. It was a great answer when I needed it!
Old 11-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayDawg View Post
the 25.1 is a nice size to keep in the driveway (as I do), but a little too big for touring around tows. So I converted the rear compartment of mine into a toy hauler so I could haul my Honda Trike in the back to get around with and I also don't have to tow anything. When the trike is out, we set up twin bed frames and mattresses back there. If we're only stopping for the night and don't need the trike, I have replaced the dinette set with a queen size sofa bed. We made a 3 week cross country trip last May and all was great (except the storms that ran us back home to CA).
Now this sounds interesting: Do you have any pics of your conversion? Did you enlarge any of the outside storage doors or cut into the outside wall at all?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #24

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Kentucky
THOR #9694
They say, "If you have an RV, you don't need another hobby." There is work involved in RVing but to us it is worth it - it is the best way to travel...
Old 11-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #25

State: Florida
THOR #4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Your going to find it half that say they never bring a car and half that says. Really depends on what kind of camping you are going to do. Are you going to a park and basically staying there most of the time riding bikes or something and rarely leaving. Or do you want to get at your park and then go places. Some people don’t mind unhooking and setting up and it’s not hard but can get old.

I am in the have that have never towed. It depends on your individual camping style. We never stay in one place for more than a few days. If there is a need for needing a car. A call to Enterprise and problem solved.

That being said. Up until 2001 the ideal set up for us was a carrier that went into the trailer hitch. I had a 250cc Honda motor scooter that we carried. It was easy to load and unload and fantastic for exploring. Then one day in Duluth a guy coming from the opposite direction in a pickup truck made a left hand turn in front of us(my driving and wife behind me). My choice was to hit him at 45mph or lay the scooter down. We slid for about 100ft. I was fine but the wife suffered very bad broken right angle. There was about a inch gap in her bone that just would not grow back. She cast and crutches for nearly two years. It modified our entire life style.

I love scooters. I rode a 49cc Zuma from Jacksonville,Fl to San Diego, Ca. in 10 Days. At 30mph that was about 12 hours a day. Let me tell you that was fun and met lot of interesting and friendly people. The story is on my webpage www.rogerrockwell.com
Old 11-05-2018, 04:54 AM   #26

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Georgia
THOR #13014
Quote:
Looking to buy axis 24.1. We are hoping to be able to get around without towing a car. Is this crazy.
Any info/ insights would be most helpful.
Thank you
V and d
We had the 25.5. I always make a list of must see sights for wherever we are going. If it is made for school kids and tourists there is usually good parking for their buses. For tighter busy city centers, we get a rental car. We ended up buying a toad for some of our trips. We hit a lot of sights when we are out and rarely get a chance to even check out the park we are camped in. For us, we prefer a car rented or towed.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #27

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13555
Taking the plunge

Finally decided that we are buying the 2018 Thor Axis 24.1.
We do the walk thru on Tuesday.
Thanks to all the good information on this forum and Ed's book we have learned so much. We know we still have a lot of hands on learning but are now more confident that we can do it.

Trying to find parks that sound nice and aren't full, guess we are really late for this year. How early do you usually need to book a place and do you always book in advance? I have a list of places for a night or two going south but in that this will be our first trip we are a little unsure on timing.

Thanks so much,
V and D
Old 01-20-2019, 09:35 PM   #28

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Finally decided that we are buying the 2018 Thor Axis 24.1.
We do the walk thru on Tuesday.
Thanks to all the good information on this forum and Ed's book we have learned so much. We know we still have a lot of hands on learning but are now more confident that we can do it.

Trying to find parks that sound nice and aren't full, guess we are really late for this year. How early do you usually need to book a place and do you always book in advance? I have a list of places for a night or two going south but in that this will be our first trip we are a little unsure on timing.

Thanks so much,
V and D
Make SURE you have a video of everything they do. How to do this, that and where everything goes. Make them explain everything. And make sure you get all the books.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:42 PM   #29

Model: Vegas 25.1
State: California
THOR #7113
Cool 2015 Vegas 24.1 Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Now this sounds interesting: Do you have any pics of your conversion? Did you enlarge any of the outside storage doors or cut into the outside wall at all?
Yes, I have several pics of the mod before, during and after. I'll attach some of them here. I didn't have to change any storage compartments outside, but I did have to cut out the rear wall to make/install a ramp/door for the trike to run in/out of the RV. I placed a fold up/down aluminum plate over the rear window to protect it when driving the trike in/out.I had to reverse the layout of the toilet & shower to make room for the width of the trike. I also had to remove the rear seating and most of the cabinets in the rear compartment. I removed the crappy dinette and replaced it with a Queen sleeper sofa and made a removable dinning table that attaches to the floor when we need it. We have fold-away twin bed frames that we store on the cab-over storage bed and mattresses that fit perfectly on the left side storage cabinet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2753.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	15225   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2771.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	15226  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2768.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	15227   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2779.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	15228  

Old 01-21-2019, 02:34 AM   #30

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayDawg View Post
Yes, I have several pics of the mod before, during and after. I'll attach some of them here. I didn't have to change any storage compartments outside, but I did have to cut out the rear wall to make/install a ramp/door for the trike to run in/out of the RV. I placed a fold up/down aluminum plate over the rear window to protect it when driving the trike in/out.I had to reverse the layout of the toilet & shower to make room for the width of the trike. I also had to remove the rear seating and most of the cabinets in the rear compartment. I removed the crappy dinette and replaced it with a Queen sleeper sofa and made a removable dinning table that attaches to the floor when we need it. We have fold-away twin bed frames that we store on the cab-over storage bed and mattresses that fit perfectly on the left side storage cabinet
Very ingenious...

Shows what you can do with a VEGAS/AXIS...