Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2021, 10:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Vegas 25.6
State: California
THOR #24413
Newbie buying Vegas 25.6

Hi all,
thanks for this great forum, I've been reading up on Vegas / Axis models as we want to buy 25.6 floorplan.
I'm told there are shortages on electric stabilizers ( standard equipment on 25.6 ) and countertop extensions
I can wait 6 months if I have to, but my dealer mentioned aftermarket Bigfoot leveling instead of OEM stabilizer system, at a higher cost of course.
I'm a total newbie to RV life, I understand that I need one of these systems, but is one really much better than the other?
I like OEM as it's fully integrated into control panel, but I understand it's a manual control, not self-leveling as Bigfoot.
Any thoughts?
Much appreciated...

Old 08-16-2021, 10:32 PM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
My suggestion…
Don’t go with the stabilizers. Stabilizers are NOT hydraulic levelers.
You will be much happier with & get more use from $3000-5000 after market hydraulic levelers.
If professionally installed…will look and function as an OEM system.

BigFoot are the best value & have been added by many Vegas/Axis owners on this site.
Others have installed Equalizers.
A third option is HWH, and that’s what I chose for my coach.

Welcome to the Forum and keep us advised of your Vegas journey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A219DD86-1A98-4F96-B79B-9CD0DA8A212E.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	32868  
Old 08-16-2021, 11:08 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I have the electric stabilizers and never used them. They only stabilize when parked to keep the rocking movement down. I had The Equalizer System installed at a local r v family shop. They work great. Just about all of the systems out there work(Big Foot, HWH and The Equalizer). The price depends on the options you choose. Manual mode only or automatic, Blue Tooth... Do some price comparisons. In a pinch, you could use the hydraulic levelers to lift a flat wheel in order to change it. I also carry a small bottle jack for safety whenever I need to raise the wheel for repairs/maintenance.

Paul
Old 08-16-2021, 11:21 PM   #4

THOR #24413
Thank you for replies. Sorry for dumb questions, but I still don't understand how much difference there is between stabilizer and leveler, as far as ability to put a foot down at each of 4 wheels. I understand there is no automatic leveling with stabilizer and I understand the design difference between hydraulic jack vs. scissor jack used in electric stabilizer, but aren't they doing the same work in the end? Is it about lenght of extension, or power difference?
Or is it all about actual auto-leveling vs. manual leveling?
I feel like I'm missing something...
Old 08-16-2021, 11:32 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Stabilizers are just that there are usually two on the rear of the coach and AFTER you level with some type of screw jack or leggo style drive up blocks or a combination of the two. The stabilizers are put down to keep the coach from rocking when you walk Around inside.
Hydraulic levelers are designed to actually level the coach. They usually work in pairs. Front, rear, right or left. They can either be manual, automatic or in our case they work either manually or auto. I prefer to manually level. A good aftermarket leveler system will run somewhere between 3 to 5 grand.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:43 PM   #6

THOR #24413
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Stabilizers are just that there are usually two on the rear of the coach.
Maybe this was my confusion, I assumed there were 4 stabilizers for all 4 wheels, but if there are only 2 in the rear, then it makes sense why aftermarket 4 point system is so much better.
My biggest concern was to eliminate the rocking of the coach, but I suppose the leveling can come in handy in many locations.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:13 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
We many times use no legos and if needed drive up on a couple Legos and then lower rear stabilizers .

Also if the SLIDE side is lower or LEVEL on the left..single slide..then we drive up on 2 Legos on left ..extend slide..lower left jack..then all level ..then lower right jack
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:25 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!

We had HWH levelers installed on our Vegas 25.2 when it was new. It is so nice to just push a button and have the coach level itself. If your traveling involves long stays, using the lego blocks isnt such a big deal. We don't travel that way.

Like most mods and toys, the more times you use them, you can average out the costs to helpjustify. If you don't use it much, it's really expensive.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
The stabilizers do nothing for leveling your coach. If I had my choice I would get the levelers. Welcome to the forum! We were newbies when we purchased our Vegas. This is a great forum with lots of experienced people who will help you.

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:30 PM   #10

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Welcome to the forum!

We had HWH levelers installed on our Vegas 25.2 when it was new. It is so nice to just push a button and have the coach level itself. If your traveling involves long stays, using the lego blocks isnt such a big deal. We don't travel that way.

Like most mods and toys, the more times you use them, you can average out the costs to helpjustify. If you don't use it much, it's really expensive.
Good point we do long stays
Old 08-29-2021, 07:31 PM   #11

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Welcome to the forum!

So far can't justify cost of levelers
Really fast with blocks
Old 08-30-2021, 10:21 AM   #12

Model: VEGAS 27.7
State: Florida
THOR #14226
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
Thank you for replies. Sorry for dumb questions, but I still don't understand how much difference there is between stabilizer and leveler, as far as ability to put a foot down at each of 4 wheels. I understand there is no automatic leveling with stabilizer and I understand the design difference between hydraulic jack vs. scissor jack used in electric stabilizer, but aren't they doing the same work in the end? Is it about lenght of extension, or power difference?
Or is it all about actual auto-leveling vs. manual leveling?
I feel like I'm missing something...
I have a 27.7 Vegas. The factory items are only two arms at the rear of the coach. They do NOT level the coach. You can throw them in the trash.
The Bigfoot levels the coach. You can get a manual or automatic system.
I have found from many replies that the automatic lifts the coach to high.
I like the manual. I can get it just the way I want in seconds and it cost less.
Go BigFoot!