Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4381
Adventure before dementure!

We are still trying to come up with a name we like for our new to us RV, but a little about ourselves and our coach. We just bought a "used" 2015 Thor ACE 30.2 with only 4000 miles on the engine and 104 hrs on the generator. We are parents to 3 biological boys (oldest is married, and 2nd oldest is almost married). Youngest son is a teen on the autism spectrum. We have three adopted daughters - identical twin 7 year olds with special needs (one pretty severe), and their little sister who is almost 4. We've borrowed RVs for a few trips over the years, but finally decided what was the right fit for us and purchased our own. We live on the west coast, and have already done the Giant Redwoods and the Grand Canyon, as well as and parts of Rte. 66, but are looking forward to trips to Zion, Bryce, Crater Lake, and Yellowstone. We are currently planning a trip to Golden, Colorado to see family in early August, and welcome any advice anyone here may have about planning that trip. We are also looking to purchase a bike rack for our coach if anyone has one they recommend that will hold 4 bikes.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I find the site RV Park reviews essential for trip planning. Since I started using it I haven't looked in a Woodalls, or any other campground guide.

I'm not affiliated with them, just a happy user (but the thorforums.com here is affiliated with them).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:01 AM   #3

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a good deal on your coach. Enjoy the many roads ahead.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:36 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome! You'll find good and helpful advice here.

When we plan trips, we allow about 50 miles per hour, including brief meals, fuel and stretch stops, So, 350 miles is long day for us. I try to refuel at the end of the day, and intend to go through bigger cities in the middle of the day or after the evening rush.

With your active family, I would suggest you call it. "The Bus!"
Old 06-07-2016, 01:53 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
God Bless you guys. I would call it Blessed because you guys are special with what you have done for those kids. Have fun and travel safe.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:39 AM   #6

State: Alabama
THOR #4381
Thanks for the welcome! On our longer trips we've taken we've tried to keep the drive at 5 hours drive time max (the minions get a little stir crazy and need some time to run around before we can expect them to settle down for the night). We have to map out the CO trip to see how many days/overnights to expect along the way there and back (plus sights to see along the way if there are any).
Old 06-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #7

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Magic Bus.....All Aboard!
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:19 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
Welcome!!!

We purchased our Axis a few months ago with the intent of getting some family travel in before our kids head off to College in a few years. My only regret is that we did not do it sooner! Our little sweeties , although not so little anymore, joined our family by way of adoption too.

Have fun naming your Ace, I'm sure the kids will have lots of suggestions! .

We too are in the process of shopping for a bike rack to fit 4 bikes. I'll post what we finally purchase and how it's working out.

Here's wishing you many fun-filled, memory making, family trips.