Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2020, 03:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #18830
Question Newbie looking at Thor 19g

Hello all. New to this site as looking into buying the Thor 19g. We currently have a 2011 extended hightop van that I converted into a camper. Basic queen size bed and storage. We love it BUT with the virus going around we are thinking campground showers and bathrooms are not such a good idea.

We have owned a 24 foot class C but we like the freedom and simplicity and are able to use it as a second car. The Class C size, the hookups and tanks were not our thing, but the virus is going to force us to be fully self contained and the 19g seems about our size. The always down bed and dinette area would be great. We are retired, don't boondock. We have had several Class B's but they have their limitation too. I am 6 foot three. We spent a year traveling the US in a VW camper so the 19g will be a palace. We live in Oregon and the kids/grandkids live in ID and TX so we enjoy trips to each twice a year.

Question: As I look at the 19g's, the older versions had a fiberglass dome on the front sleeping area that had lots of headspace. The newer models have a flatter top and less headroom. With class C's we did not like the limited headroom in the above the cab sleeping area. Anyone know of a reason why Thor stopped making the dome front?

It is because the more aerodynamic newer models meant better mileage? Or problems leaking?

Any thoughts on the differences between the older and newer model?

Thanks and happy traveling!

Old 05-17-2020, 03:24 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by orspine View Post

.....cut....

Question: As I look at the 19g's, the older versions had a fiberglass dome on the front sleeping area that had lots of headspace. The newer models have a flatter top and less headroom. With class C's we did not like the limited headroom in the above the cab sleeping area. Anyone know of a reason why Thor stopped making the dome front?

It is because the more aerodynamic newer models meant better mileage? Or problems leaking?

Any thoughts on the differences between the older and newer model?

Thanks and happy traveling!
I don’t know, but since most of these were built for Cruise America, I expect the change was made to lower cost and also to make the overhead bed area larger.

I doubt the newer models with squared-off front caps are more aerodynamic; and even if they were, it’s not enough to matter. Plus I doubt Cruise America would care much about fuel economy on rental units.

The 19Gs I’ve been inside were very nice, and a great size at 20 feet so they could be parked just about anywhere. For us they lacked outside storage space otherwise I would have rented one previously. Instead we rented larger CA motorhomes.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!
The 19G is a pretty size, and can be bought for a reasonable amount of money...
Happy shopping!
Old 05-17-2020, 05:21 PM   #4

State: Oregon
THOR #18830
Thanks for the feedback and good wishes!!
Old 05-19-2020, 05:06 PM   #5

THOR #18881
19g

My husband and I are looking at those for similar reasons. We have not had a camper before, always camped out of our Honda minivan with the kids. We are now getting closer to retirement (maybe closer than we wanted to be) I am convinced the 19g is what we need as the. Class Bs seem to be more than we want to spend. My husband is convinced we need to go a tad larger (23g?) because he wants a bigger bathroom. I get it, but I’m fine with the little wet bath, for the trade off of easier driving. We hope to travel As far as Canada From Texas, so there will be quite a bit of driving, parking etc. Anyone with info on the mpg diff or any other thoughts on something in between those 2 sizes with a biggish bathroom? We are in now in Texas and it seems harder to find smaller class Cs here!
Old 05-19-2020, 05:28 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!
What about something on an MB Sprinter or Ford Transit chassis?
A little bit longer: but narrower.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:19 PM   #7

THOR #18881
Thor 19g bed sizes

Does anyone happen to know the measurements of the beds (overhead and converted dinette) in the Refurbished 19g that Cruise American is selling? Having a hard time getting an answer on that. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #8

THOR #2121
TeeAnn, I don’t have dimensions but will share the little I know.

There are two sizes overhead (over the cab) beds depending on front cap. The RV is 90 inches wide, so bed is plenty long when sleeping across as intended. The aerodynamic fiberglass front cap narrows as you move forward, but seems taller at rear edge of bed which makes it a bit easier to climb in and out of bed. When much younger my wife and I slept in Class C overhead bed a few times and the real issue for us (and I expect most) was for person at very front of RV climbing over the other person because there is so little headroom. It’s far worse than climbing over each other when sleeping in a corner bed (have done that too and wouldn’t want to again). One person up there isn’t too bad.

Dinettes in Cruise America motorhomes we’ve rented seem about the same size to me, and they're just wide enough for 4 thin/average adults to sit. When made into a bed, the ones we’ve rented were just under 6’ long and plenty wide for one person. We used a twin-bed memory foam pad on top and it was just the right width but a few inches too long. My wife said she slept great. The dinette is definitely too narrow for two adults in my opinion.

When we looked at the 19G, we figured she would sleep on dinette and I would take the overhead bed, or I would build a bed extension next to dinette. In the end the size didn’t offer enough space over a van camper to make it worth it for us. If a little longer, with permanent Twin/King beds and dry bath, we’d be more interested. For us the 19G is not worth it because we’d have to park it offsite while a van we can park at home, and outside storage is very limited. Great unit for the size though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4F265F69-B54D-4B5B-BC23-DAF8F59E8E59.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	23830   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADF59E0F-8C99-45DD-88A5-597E8D00F6BB.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	23831  

Old 05-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
They're as cute as a smiling puppy!
II found this website with some info about them...
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2012-...an-19g-tr11413
Old 05-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Agree they are “cute”, but a bit stubby for my taste. A motorhome 10+ feet tall would look better to me if 2~3 feet longer. Not that aesthetics is all that important when choosing motorhomes.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:22 PM   #11

THOR #18881
Chance/Bob, Thanks for the scoop! I was mainly wondering if I could sleep on the dinette bed if I needed to, and I am only 5’5” so it’s sounds like yes. I’m not getting any younger, and I need to get up a time or two and I probably won’t be up for a climb at 2am.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:45 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
When we were shopping for our current RV: we omitted the overhead sleeping area, and took the entertainment center option...
We're not climbing onto anything taller than a folded newspaper anymore.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #13

THOR #2121
I personally love a Class C’s overhead bed because it can serve as additional sleeping, but more importantly it is a huge area that can be used for storage of large items as long as they are not too heavy. On smaller motorhomes that lack adequate outside storage, this can come in very handy. With our own Class C and others we’ve rented since, we normally travel with lots of stuff up there.

Below are pictures of the overhead beds for both styles of front caps. Surface are is large, but as I mentioned before, I wouldn’t want more than one adult up there.

A tip on dinette: In my experience, you get better support if one large seat cushion is placed at head end under shoulders, and the other in middle under hips. The two smaller backrest cushions can then complete the bed by placing them under lower legs where there isn’t as much weight. It’s interesting that in most RV photos they place cushions symmetrically, which leaves cushion joints/seams at or near shoulders and hips — something we avoid. Seat cushions are often about 2-ft along bed length, while backrest cushions are closer to 1-ft (making total bed length around 6 feet).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	04162D27-F5F8-4068-9CD4-6DADCDE0F572.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	23837   Click image for larger version

Name:	40E4898B-E9B2-41AB-AF26-508143A6B584.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	518.6 KB
ID:	23838  

Name:	55C71A8F-2FA3-47E4-8A77-3B8180599BED.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	23839  
Old 05-20-2020, 09:02 PM   #14

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Here’s a previous Forum thread on the 19G.
They seem pricey for what you get.
That is, new Four Winds 22’ models with a rear bed and full bath (vs the 19g wet bath) are generally the same price.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...19g-16283.html
Old 05-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #15

Model: Majestic 23A
State: Virginia
THOR #950
I was thinking about buying a 19G back in 2012 so I rented one for a weekend. It is super easy to drive, great on gas and easy to park. However, the interior is very small. The only place for 2 to sleep is in the loft. And if you have to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom you have to climb down, then climb back up afterwards. That is not fun. And the shower, toilet and sink are all in the same room. Leg room around the toilet is minimal. IMO this unit would be OK for one person but not for 2 or more.

I ended up buying a 23A for me and my better half and we have been mostly happy with it. I'm looking to upgrade to a 26 or 27 foot Thor class C in the near future.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:50 PM   #16

Model: majestic 19g
THOR #11400
Bubble or Flat top

Orspine,

We picked up a 2014 19g from Cruise America in the spring of 18, which was right when they were transitioning from the bubble to the flat top. We thought we wanted the "newer" flat top, but when speaking to the C.A. folks they recommended the bubble for the increased headroom. We are very happy we went that way. He said they were moving away from it because it was far more expensive to repair when a customer hit something with the fiberglass bubble.

After towing trailers and renting sprinters we found the 19g the perfect combination between drivability and amenities. As another poster mentioned the storage is limited though. We camp almost exclusively without any hookups and have found the water and grey tank capacity (without excessive conservation) gives us about 3 days before we need to empty and refill.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:40 PM   #17

THOR #18881
We are renting one next week so we can see how we like it
Old 05-27-2020, 10:48 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I hope that you completely enjoy the experience; good luck!
Old 05-27-2020, 11:57 PM   #19

THOR #18049
Hi Folks
We’ve had the bubble top 19G for around 7 years. Just my wife and I. The top bunk is plenty big (i think having the bubble would be key). And super comfy. We believe its all about the length. We are no longer than a full size ford van and it make all the difference. I do wish it had a diesel and could tow. Motor is a bit of a dog. Feel free to contact if you have any questions?
Take care,mark
Old 05-28-2020, 12:40 AM   #20

THOR #18881
Thanks Chance 19g dinette cushions

Thanks so much for the pics and the dinette cushion idea! It took me a couple readings regarding the cushion but it finally clicked (I’m not the instructions reader in our duo!) But I get it now, this will be a big help 👍🏻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I personally love a Class C’s overhead bed because it can serve as additional sleeping, but more importantly it is a huge area that can be used for storage of large items as long as they are not too heavy. On smaller motorhomes that lack adequate outside storage, this can come in very handy. With our own Class C and others we’ve rented since, we normally travel with lots of stuff up there.

Below are pictures of the overhead beds for both styles of front caps. Surface are is large, but as I mentioned before, I wouldn’t want more than one adult up there.

A tip on dinette: In my experience, you get better support if one large seat cushion is placed at head end under shoulders, and the other in middle under hips. The two smaller backrest cushions can then complete the bed by placing them under lower legs where there isn’t as much weight. It’s interesting that in most RV photos they place cushions symmetrically, which leaves cushion joints/seams at or near shoulders and hips — something we avoid. Seat cushions are often about 2-ft along bed length, while backrest cushions are closer to 1-ft (making total bed length around 6 feet).