Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2017, 08:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #6633
newbie from Texas

Hello all! - So we just picked up our 2017 Windsport 34J. So far all we've done with it is drive it home to the storage spot which was a little over an hour away from the dealer. This is our first class A. We've had a couple of bumper pulls, our last being a 36 ft keystone bunkhouse.

So we decided on a coach because I never really liked towing the trailers. We considered going to a fifth wheel but that would have required a new tow vehicle since mine didn't have the payload to handle the hitch weight of a few of the fifth wheels we were considering, and my f250 didn't have a very large gas tank, and I didn't have the payload for extra fuel.

So we looked and looked, went among several different options including some used ones that were in our price range, and the Thor had the layout we wanted - love the bunkhouse for our two young boys! We had multiple positive experiences with our dealer so we took the plunge.

Some of the best advice we read was find the floorplan that works best for you in your budget and expect problems! We have our first trip planned next week. Have already discovered a couple of little things that need to be tweaked, but no worries. So far we love the coach and can't wait to get her on the road!

Old 02-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.

(I pulled a 5er with an F-250 for a few years...until we upgraded to an F-350; but now we have the motorhome.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:48 PM   #3

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Welcome to the forum! Happy trails!
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:21 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Congratulations on your new coach, glad you are happy with it!!! Now go enjoy it and make lots of happy memories!
Old 03-01-2017, 12:30 AM   #5

THOR #6633
Thanks guys! Yeah we considered trading my 250 in on a 350 but once we put the numbers together, we were getting close to the same ballpark as the windsport. Granted, we may eventually need to invest in a toad, but for now we're just going to get it out and use it as much as possible.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #6

Model: 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #6105
Congratulations we really like the layout of that motorhome. We got our new 34J back in December and have only driven it home from the CW in Chattanooga. Thats about 200 miles. Was a little nervous at first but it drives nice. We had a little driving course at the dealership but think I need to go to the Mall parking lot and check it out with our tow vehicle. Right now we're trying to organize the motorhome with all our things so they will be easy to get to. Really like the storage so far.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:27 PM   #7

THOR #6633
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastridges View Post
Congratulations we really like the layout of that motorhome. We got our new 34J back in December and have only driven it home from the CW in Chattanooga. Thats about 200 miles. Was a little nervous at first but it drives nice. We had a little driving course at the dealership but think I need to go to the Mall parking lot and check it out with our tow vehicle. Right now we're trying to organize the motorhome with all our things so they will be easy to get to. Really like the storage so far.
Congrats to you too eastridges - yeah we love the storage as well - our travel trailer had a tiny external compartment so the storage on the coach is fantastic! We booked a local site this weekend so we can open it up and start to organize it, go through the systems some more and we'll be close to home just in case!

I agree that drving it wasn't too bad - it was really windy when we drove ours back and even still it was doable. I need to get it aligned though, and my steering wheel is off center so we'll get that taken care of soon, but overall we love it.