Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4629
Smile We pick up our new Vegas on Thursday

I've been online researching all sorts of RV's over the past year, and didn't get serious about a purchase until this spring. Originally wanted to go with a diesel class C, then a small diesel Class-A.

After weeks of hassle in trying to get straight answers on used vehicles, I saw that for 10K more, I could get a brand new 2016 Thor Vegas 24.1 that has everything I wanted and more.

I contacted 4 dealerships, compared their best out the door price, and put a deposit on one and I get to pick it up in about a week. Amazing!

Thanks to everyone in this Thor forum who made my decision making so much easier. I get that I can't expect perfect, but I can take my time and closely inspect everything before it gets off the dealers lot. I get that the first year may involve a lot of mini-repairs and de-bugging.

I'm already looking into installing a safe-t-plus steering stabilizer so I can get it through the rockies back to Portland.

Exciting!! Looking forward to swapping stories with all of you!

--Kara

Old 06-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3973
Congrats

Congrats on the new RUV!

We just happen to be picking up our new 2017 Vegas 24.1 on Thursday as well. Really looking forward to hitting the road!
Old 06-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #3

THOR #4629
Hey! Congratulations to you too!

I just love the 24.1 model.

Let's all have safe and happy travels this year!!
Old 06-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Both of you: Make sure you get Ed's excellent forum sourced owner's guide.

Oh and congratulations LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #5
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXKara View Post
Hey! Congratulations to you too!

I just love the 24.1 model.

Let's all have safe and happy travels this year!!
Congratulations ! As you know...everyone who has the 24.1 floorplan is happy.
!!

keep us posted !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #6

THOR #4629
Thank you - that is an incredible guide:
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...HbjprCUauDwH4g
Old 06-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 35SK Super C
State: Missouri
THOR #711
Congratulations to you both!! Hope ALL is well with the new Vegas and many trouble free miles.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:54 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Hope you have many enjoyable adventures in your sporty new RV!
Old 06-26-2016, 02:40 AM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #1971
Hope you have many safe and fun adventures in your new rig.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:21 AM   #10

State: Colorado
THOR #4179
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXKara View Post
I've been online researching all sorts of RV's over the past year, and didn't get serious about a purchase until this spring. Originally wanted to go with a diesel class C, then a small diesel Class-A.

After weeks of hassle in trying to get straight answers on used vehicles, I saw that for 10K more, I could get a brand new 2016 Thor Vegas 24.1 that has everything I wanted and more.

I contacted 4 dealerships, compared their best out the door price, and put a deposit on one and I get to pick it up in about a week. Amazing!

Thanks to everyone in this Thor forum who made my decision making so much easier. I get that I can't expect perfect, but I can take my time and closely inspect everything before it gets off the dealers lot. I get that the first year may involve a lot of mini-repairs and de-bugging.

I'm already looking into installing a safe-t-plus steering stabilizer so I can get it through the rockies back to Portland.

Exciting!! Looking forward to swapping stories with all of you!

--Kara
I strongly recommend you personally verify that each and every component be tested to ensure it works before you drive off the lot. I purchased a new 2015 Vegas 24.2 from Golden, CO and although I had every intention of checking everything out while getting my walk-around orientation, I left the excitement beat me and I was/am quite disappointed in the quality of my RV.

It wasn't raining so I failed to check out the wipers and windshield washer, when I did it didn't work; when I tried to operate and figure out the configuration of the 3 TVs (cable/satellite/DVD, etc.), they did not function as expected; the console a/c fan does not function in all speeds (fan only works on low); half of the exterior LEDs do not function; every single cable connection behind the TVs and behind the walls connected to the two splitters were not even hand tight; it took me writing on this forum and two service techs in St. George about an hour or two in order to figure out where all the water lines/valves were hidden behind panels and duct work to get my water system running, so living 200+ miles from the dealership I bought it at and their service department's filled schedule, I am now kicking myself in the butt. Good luck with your RV. I hope you don't experience the problems I encountered after I got home and on the road. Don't let the tech rush you. P.s. If you have air mattresses, inflate them during orientation. Both of mine were new in the box but had leaks.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #11

THOR #4629
UX108 - Thank YOU!

I'm bringing all the checklists I can find, and I will double star your items to make sure the trouble is in the open and dealt with. Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm sorry it was a PITA for you. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Connecticut
THOR #4640
new to Thor & Rving

We just got our 2016 Vegas 25.3 2 weeks ago went for our first trip last weekend and found out a few things that we were not told at the intro to our new Vegas, like there's a switch in the cabinets over the sink to switch from antennae to cable for the TV's to work on the cable, that the wiper & wash switch on the dash overrides the one on the steering wheel, that the backup camera isn't really actual space/size but a little different and you still need a person helping you back up... Still trying to figure out how to dump black & gray water tanks....
Old 06-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #13

Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
If you try the windshield washer and it works, try it a second time.
I tried ours in the driveway, worked fine. We don't use the washer much.
Tried it again on a trip, and it blew a fuse. We'll be replacing ours soon.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfest
If you try the windshield washer and it works, try it a second time.
I tried ours in the driveway, worked fine. We don't use the washer much.
Tried it again on a trip, and it blew a fuse. We'll be replacing ours soon.
Thor had installed a bunch of defective washer motor pumps. That was a few years ago--hopefully that is all straightened out now.

Replacing the pump is pretty easy; I did ours. If you call Thor you can get them to send you the replacement pump--they will ask you to send the old one back to them.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Welcome to the new 24.1 Vegas/Axis owners. Safe and happy travels.

The floor plan works great for the two of us and a couple of large Lab dogs! We are now 13 months into ownership and just returned home from three days (Catawba Falls Campground, Old Fort NC, catawbafalls.com) in the NC mountains 1 mile from the waterfall that is the headwaters of the Catawba River!!

GMazz and others,

If this is your Rookie year I would recommend Learning the black water game with just clean water in the tanks the first time (and wear gloves). I did not do that and thru some very "colorful" OJT learned real fast how to make a mistake and the value of a helpful neighbor camper!

Reader's Digest for the Black /Gray water issue:
When you open the septic bay and look in you will see the opening on the discharge tube is pretty much horizontal in alignment. Fortunately it will rotate and point down, but that is made easier with two pre-rotation steps.
With the valves all left closed remove the end cap (it is attached with a cord so it is not going anywhere). The end cap on my unit touches the floor of the storage bay and gets in the way.
On the floor of the bay is a big round plug that will - eventually - twist and leave a nice hole for the discharge tube to rotate down and point out the bottom.
Now, connect the sewer hose up thru the hole and the other end into the septic tank provided at the campsite.

If this is a trial run with just water, then open the black water first and let the suff flow. Close the black and open the gray water and let it flow and help rince out the leftovers from the black water. Put chemicals in per instructions for the gray and black tanks.

If this is a real dumping, I like to have the black water and gray water tanks at 2/3 full (and use gloves). Until I get a fancy flushing unit installed I have a second hose line that I run into the bathroom and fill the black water to 2/3rds full (holding onto the hose and keeping the hose end where you can see it). Once the meter says 2/3 full I open the black water valve and let it flow still using the second hose line for a couple minutes of additional rince. Then close black water (hose still filling thru the toliet) I open the gray water and let it go until all done. Turn on kitchen sink and add more fresh water into the gray tank and continue flush for a minute or so. Then turn off sink, close gray water drain and reopen black water tank and let the last of the "fresh" water flush out. Once all is done, disconnet the "Stinky Slinky", the compartment gets sprayed down with diluted chlorox, rinsed out, caps replaced, the "stinky slinky" gets a bucket of diluted chlorox poured into it before being disconnected from the septic tank.

This all takes several minutes but unlike the first "dumping" back in July 2015 I do not have the thrills and smells in the RV.

I have been thinking of flushing the diluted Chlorox thru the toliet and black tank but not sure about that???? So any more senior RV's please feel free to comment.

The next mystery, the Axeera AV614BH Radio.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:15 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
If this is a real dumping, I like to have the black water and gray water tanks at 2/3 full (and use gloves). Until I get a fancy flushing unit installed I have a second hose line that I run into the bathroom and fill the black water to 2/3rds full (holding onto the hose and keeping the hose end where you can see it). Once the meter says 2/3 full I open the black water valve and let it flow still using the second hose line for a couple minutes of additional rince.
Why not just run the bathroom sink until the black tank says 2/3 full since the sink also runs to the black tank? (granted you're not getting the "rinsing" action you would if you are using pressurized water going into the toilet but if you are just filling the sink works)
Quote:
I have been thinking of flushing the diluted Chlorox thru the toliet and black tank but not sure about that???? So any more senior RV's please feel free to comment.
We try to keep any bleach solutions away from the black tank in the event that the bleach prevents the black tank chemicals from doing their job--especially if you buy the enzyme stuff. I have no evidence that this happens though so it could be complete hokum!
Old 06-26-2016, 08:24 PM   #17

THOR #2142
Jamie,

That would work it is just that the water volume of our sink runs pretty slow.

Also, not to sound gross, but with a high pressure head on the hose you can hear a difference when the water goes from spraying and bouncing off the plastic of the tank and "something" else in there .

Doc

Old 06-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
That would work it is just that the water volume of our sink runs pretty slow.

Also, not to sound gross, but with a high pressure head on the hose you can hear a difference when the water goes from spraying and bouncing off the plastic of the tank and "something" else in there .
Aww its dinner time LOL!

True though... Just have to get that tornado installed.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:12 PM   #19

THOR #2142
Jamie,

Sorry about dinner there. I have that on my to do list for the week of the 4th.

Just a quick picture of where we were (Catawba Falls Campsite). 1 mile from the waterfall that is the headwaters for The Catawba River. Crystal clear, nice and cold water. Swimming for the more young at heart, I was good to about mid-thigh!!
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1466975446.

Take care, got to get ready to go back to work Monday.

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oursite2.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	2341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trout Stream.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	2342  

Old 06-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
LOL! Was just kidding

That Catawba Falls looks really nice (on first reading I thought you were talking about Catawba Island which is significantly closer to me than Catawba Falls! LOL)

Tags
newbie, purchasing