Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2020, 06:54 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: XG32 Magnitude
State: Alaska
THOR #21373
Me too! haha

Old 12-04-2020, 08:53 PM   #22

THOR #21373
Just trying to pin stuff I've found

So...came across a really helpful thread for me but not sure how to save it...and thought to just go ahead and post the link for it here. It's called "Acronym list" and located right here https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2/acronym-list-23964.html

One other kind of neato thing I stumbled across that looks helpful is this: source https://crazyladycrankydog.com/wp-co...My-RV-Hold.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	weightsheet.png
Views:	34
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	27497
Altho, I do not know for certain whether it is good info or not-so-much ....I like her funny nic, "Crazy Lady Crank Dog" (and I really love dogs, even cranky ones).
Old 12-04-2020, 10:24 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Hi What is involved with bringing dogs to canada and alaska?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:20 PM   #24

THOR #21373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Hi What is involved with bringing dogs to canada and alaska?
The only thing I know for sure is Canada is not as easy as it used to be. So, I'm thinking at the very least, veterinary records, certificate of health, and crazy rules like sealed up, unopened dog food at the border. But it may be worse, or better, by this coming Spring. I'm waiting for closer to leave time to see newest info requirements. Praying there won't be a harsh limitation for how many dogs can go up at a time.

Name:	sdrv.gif
Views:	22
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	27500
ETA: click it, Scubawise! <3
Old 12-05-2020, 03:46 AM   #25

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Do they open search your MH? OPEN DOGFOOD
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:36 AM   #26

THOR #21373
Scubawise,
I'm having a super duper hard time refinding the original info about dog food. I know that sounds like an excuse but so far it's not in my saved stuff. Pretty sure it's buried in all the AK-gov and Canada-gov files, but I sure can't remember where. Sigh.

But it was worded along these same thoughts...(source https://www.gopetfriendly.com/blog/t...dog-to-canada/)

Name:	Cdogfud.png
Views:	26
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	27508
To be sure that^info is not where I first saw it, but when right source is located, I'll post it.

Meanwhile, here's some of the info that's been saved in my quest for knowledge:
If you come across more info, please Scubawise, update me. I'm just so homesick and afraid of doing things wrong.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #27

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
as for GVW, I visit my county landfill periodically as they have a weigh scale that I can get weighed for free, and easyily. I weight various configurations to attain weight awareness. I always get a receipt as if I ever get stopped by authorities, I can demonstrate my weight, as it is illegal to be overweight, you may void your insurance if you are in an accident and found to be overweight, and, most importantly, it is dangerous. I state that with only theoretical knowledge, no first hand experience. Tires can safely handle their specified weight, but overloaded will fail.
as for the dog, animals going to other countries, my experience has been you MUSY have proof of current vaccinations. depending on the country, a pet quarantine period may be required upon entering. As far as I know Canadian requirements only require proof of vaccination.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Where does your insrance policy state that coverage may be denied; if you are operating the vehicle outside of it's normal paramters?
Old 12-05-2020, 09:33 PM   #29

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
good question Bob, which prompted me to further investigation. Up to now it was hearsay, rumor. I called my insurance company, Geico, and they said they have never heard of that reason for denial. a quick look over of my policy states no exemption. a quick internet search lists several discussions, the most interesting to me listed as follows:
dated 2013, from -
https://www.personalinjuryclaimsblaw...ity-for-rvers/

Towing in excess of the vehicle manufacturer’s weight limits could not only prove dangerous, but could even be considered negligent. In the event of an accident with an overweight personal vehicle, you could be held responsible for higher awards in a lawsuit for damages to other people, vehicles or property.

end reference.

has it ever happened? I find none. As a matter of safety, my foremost concern, I stay within my limits.
Thus, I stand enlightened. Thanks for that question Bob.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:46 PM   #30

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2766
We are so thankful and blessed. But I'm not exactly happy yet. Very badly, I want to take Taj to Alaska, my home. God willing, we'll be all set by this coming Spring. In the meantime, we've been beefing up Taj, and making mods, doing upgrades, and it's just been wonderfully satisfying. This forum's members have been incredibly educationally helpful! Oh! And before I forget to mention it, our towed is a 2017 AWD Ford Edge Titanium...nicely complimenting our gorgeous 4x4 RV.

This photo is not my rig, but it is an XG32 in the snow...because I have a dream and can see my pointy eared dogs and cat just beyond the edges of it.

We live on the north Oregon Coast and I have a brother who is a physician in Anchorage. He also has a cabin at Anchor Point. Every couple of years I fly up to Homer to go salmon and halibut fishing. This year we were going to drive our MH and plan to spend five days in Homer. All was set to go, reservations made. Route planned out. Places to stop on the way, etc. But then the Canadian and US boarder was closed - and due to the surge at the time we thought this might not be a good year to go. However, I haven't given up on 2021 yet. Check the status of the boarder before you head out.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:34 AM   #31

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by shi ammi View Post
Well, yesterday, with a very first post, I inserted myself into a thread. Then afterward, it dawned on me that maybe the intro-thing should have come first. My sincere apology for goofing up procedures.

So, back in the Spring, my husband brought home a 2020 Thor Magnitude XG32 and I was AWED by that. He gave me Taj, the most beautiful full time travel machine I'd ever seen. It had never even occurred to me such beauty could exist in any vehicle.

We are so thankful and blessed. But I'm not exactly happy yet. Very badly, I want to take Taj to Alaska, my home. God willing, we'll be all set by this coming Spring. In the meantime, we've been beefing up Taj, and making mods, doing upgrades, and it's just been wonderfully satisfying. This forum's members have been incredibly educationally helpful! Oh! And before I forget to mention it, our towed is a 2017 AWD Ford Edge Titanium...nicely complimenting our gorgeous 4x4 RV.

This photo is not my rig, but it is an XG32 in the snow...because I have a dream and can see my pointy earred dogs and cat just beyond the edges of it...
Attachment 27437
Welcome!!! We're all here to help!!!
Old 12-09-2020, 09:42 AM   #32

THOR #21373
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikdjensen View Post
This year we were going to drive our MH and plan to spend five days in Homer. All was set to go, reservations made. Route planned out. Places to stop on the way, etc. But then the Canadian and US boarder was closed - and due to the surge at the time we thought this might not be a good year to go. However, I haven't given up on 2021 yet. Check the status of the boarder before you head out.

That whole surge issue has me disgruntled. My sister reassured me that "essential" travel was still open....but then I found out that one of my friends who was driving down to the lower 48 for surgery, was denied access by accusing him of wanting to 'camp' in Canada...he was driving his rv. He turned back and flew instead. I do not have an option like that...because of all my dogs and cat.
So I'm praying that the Canadian guy with fake eyebrows gets recalled, impeached, and/or voted out, along with whoever else supports those lopsided draconian laws, so that I can drive up and reunite with my beloved family.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:45 AM   #33

THOR #21373
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Welcome!!! We're all here to help!!!
Thanks, Knucklehead!! God bless all the White Hats!!!
Old 12-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #34

THOR #21373
Quote:
Originally Posted by galOnTheGo View Post
Towing in excess of the vehicle manufacturer’s weight limits could not only prove dangerous, but could even be considered negligent. In the event of an accident with an overweight personal vehicle, you could be held responsible for higher awards in a lawsuit for damages to other people, vehicles or property.

GalontheGoif we ever do get too close to the overweight limit, my plan is to put Taj on a severe diet. In one of my posts, I threaten the refrigerator, 160 lbs (mfg), and microwave 70 lbs (mfg)---but in reality I'd start with all those particle board valances and shower doors. And I don't know if Providence called out to me or not, but yesterday a really nice vid popped up showing a family replacing their glass shower doors with a shower rod and curtain! lol. Turned out really super nice: