Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2016, 03:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Texas
THOR #3887
Smile New 34J

Hey,
Recently purchased a 2016 THOR 34J looking for tips and trick as I am a new owner, planning to use the RV across country trip, in July. ultimately if anyone has a checklist so far I have pots and pans,plates, first aid kit air pump and a large stock of RV Toilet paper, sewer lines, hoses, extension cord, I know I need a 30 amp adapter what else can you guys think I need.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congrats and welcome.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:07 AM   #3

State: Virginia
THOR #4004
Good luck, hopefully you WON'T have ANY issues with the slide!
Old 04-08-2016, 12:17 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
For the gas oven......use Toaster oven cooking pan set & baking mats cut down to size.
( just the right size for doing 2 or 3 biskits in a bag ..ie: Pilsbury Grands) no waste.
also Google "321" cakes.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:27 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
A tool kit from Lowes or Home depot duct tape electrician tape extra batteries Lynex levelers Sense of humor
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:33 AM   #6

THOR #3887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacelink View Post
Good luck, hopefully you WON'T have ANY issues with the slide!
Leo you 're indicating as though indicating as though you have had some problems with yours? Please elaborate, I was a little concerned about one big slide.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:25 AM   #7

THOR #4004
It has been nothing BUT a nightmare with the slide! We've had TWO major failures (it would NOT Deploy or Retract) with the slide. The first was a month after we bought it (July 4th weekend last year) and the second was while we were in Florida between Christmas and New Years. Both times it STOPPED about 4" out and we had to force it back in manually and spend the trip with it in so we could drive home. In fact, we could NOT get the backend fully in when in Florida and had to drive home with it about 2" out while the front was flush.

After calling the manufacturer (the Warranty folks and Manager know me by name now, seriously!) and screaming at them the last time after being calm with ALL the other issues, they finally got the message I was serious.
Here's a quick list of issues we've had since purchasing it last Memorial Day weekend.
- Major slide failure - Twice
- Right-side awning arm snapped
- Black/Grey water drain does NOT line up with access hole
- House batteries failed causing numerous electrical issues listed below
> Leveler would not work, low voltage indicator
> Radio in console failed
> Steps would not retract (on day of delivery)
> Front bunk over driving area got out of sync and would not go back up correctly, therefore being unlevel and unable to put the safety pins in
- Operators manual was all jacked up and index and contents did NOT sync up.
- When we got the vehicle home we found a LOT of screws, pieces of wires and even broken glass under the passenger seat.
Between the house battery issue and all of the electrical issues I was beginning to think that this vehicle was possessed!

We bought it in NC at a Campers Inn and live in Northern Virginia, 350 miles away and was taking it back down there (3 round-trips) for maintenance issues. After a heated discussion one afternoon with the Thor warranty manager in Indiana he say's, "Why don't you take it to a LOCAL RV dealer for warranty work?" I exploded and said, because you hadn't said that I could do that so I was taking it to where we bought it!!! That was the last straw with me.

I could go on and on with minor stuff but needless to say, we are DONE with this vehicle and I'm pretty disappointed with the way the factory has handled the whole thing. When I replaced the house batteries at their request, it took me over four months to get reimbursed!

I finally got it in to the factory service center in Indiana at the beginning of Feb and the senior service tech told me that they found the slide was under-designed. It only has two sets of rollers and tracks and because of the size it should have had three!!!

These are just our experiences and for the record, we STILL CANNOT use the vehicle because when they put it out in the hold yard until I could get back the first of March, they did NOT drain a thing and on my way home I discovered water on the floor of the coach. This is because the flash water heater under the sink ruptured due to the extreme freezing. And, I found out that one of the lines from the fresh water tank under the bed broke and was leaking onto the bedroom floor. I immediately drained BOTH tanks and now we cannot use ANY water distribution point that requires water pressure!
Old 04-08-2016, 03:50 AM   #8

THOR #3887
LEO,

I do believe you on the issues as mine have been used once and now it has been in the shop for 2 weeks. The slide has been a concern but I didn't know it was that big of a problem, I am going to install some optima blue tops to replace the factory batteries as I have read thor batteries just have many of issues. Wish I had done more research before I bought it, ironically we are planning on taking ours from Texas to Florida and am really concerned about slide issues, one of the reasons we went new is to mitigate issues and now my fear is we may have bought a whole new problem
Old 04-19-2016, 08:43 PM   #9

THOR #4004
My only recommendation is document and photograph everything!

Leo

Tags
hurricane 34j