RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 912
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley Dilley View Post
A few things...
1. Maybe you view yourself as not mechanically inclined and that may be true. So maybe you can make your RV experience a learning experience as well as a leisure experience.
2. It helps if you consider an RV as basically a home on wheels. There are lots of things that can break or need maintenance in a home that is built on solid ground. RV’s have many of the same components of a house but they are also put through the stress of driving down the road which can lead to a lot of movement on those components. Things are going to go wrong so expect it and be prepared to deal with it.
3. Whatever you think you know about new vehicle warranties don’t try to apply that knowledge to RV warranties. On RV’s there are different coverages depending on what it is that your dealing with. The vehicle cab and chassis including the engine and drivetrain are not Thor’s problem. If it’s a Ford or Chevy then that’s the responsibility of the vehicle manufacturers. Thor is basically responsible for the Coach portion. The appliances are covered by the manufacturers of the appliances. So get over the thought of just bitching at Thor for every thing that goes wrong.
4. Spend some time learning everything you can about your RV. Get familiar with all the systems and most importantly learn how to drive it safely if you don’t already have experience in driving large vehicles.
5. Things are going to break and go wrong but try to have fun with it because there is a good reason that so many people have RV’s.
6. Lastly, take a breath and get your thoughts together and try not to rant on these forums because nobody really wants to hear that. Most of us if not all of us have had RV drama. If you have questions or experiences and can help someone out with something then please do.

All Mfgs should have this written (in a corporate form) someplace firmly visible and required by all prospective owner to see before they are allowed to by.

I can stand outside a Sears Repair Center and collect the things that went wrong and get on a Sears board and complain all day. Same for Ford and Chevrolet. But out of the 100s and 100s of post I have read, I have yet to see any story where Thor, Winnebago, Newmar, Tiffin or whoever REFUSED to repair anything under warranty. The premise that some have is that RVs should leave the factory perfect, should stay perfect on the dealers lot as they are being moved around and visited and driven by who knows who, and then somehow expected to be so good, that the new owner doesn't even need bother to do the basic PDI inspection to confirm their incredible unreal assumption of perfection. Then they buy and drive home, DW opens up a cabinet and see's saw dust and then they jump on the forums to bash the $11 / hr worker as unskilled and complain complain of Thor's quality.

If you got a brand new Coach the purpose of all of the warranties is to get stuff fixed. ( except I don't consider ESPs warranties, it is insurance that some just have to have ) You got an entire year to ensure all is well EVEN if you missed during PDI.

To OP, glad to see your professionalism to the matter as it appears to be resigned to mere frustration (not anger). Being frustrated is allowed

Now that we got that all the way, when do I get my Bud Light? Dilly Dilly
__________________

__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE w/Magellan Tent
Safe T Plus EC-30 AGS
Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater & Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #42
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: VEGAS 27.7
State: Florida
Posts: 32
THOR #14226
The reason i asked you in my earlier post to contact Mark.
He will most likely ask Customer Service contact you.
Explain the issues and the distance the dealer is from you.
They most likely will assign you to a dealer closer to you that they trust.
Also by using the dealer of their chose, not yours they are committing to getting it fixed.
That is the way I played the game and it worked perfectly.
I hope you have the same luck.
__________________

__________________
mgunnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:35 PM   #43
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Venetian
State: Michigan
Posts: 10
THOR #19687
First year motorhome problems/fixes

I bought a new 2018 Thor class a pusher just before the 2020 model year came out, so I got a relatively good deal. We also had a LARGE laundry list of problems. It's been back to the dealer several times. General RV has fixed almost everything (even removed and reinstalled a slide because of leaks due to slightly tilted slide installation!), and billed it all back to Thor. The service consultant I worked with took pictures of all problems, and told me "If we don't document the problem to Thor, it didn't happen" (as well as I can remember the quote). So, if you're going to have someone else fix it, take photos, both before and after fix, and copies of the invoice showing what was done and what it cost. This isn't something you can go back to do later, so get those photos at the beginning to really show the problems. Then Thor may well reimburse you (but read their warranty to make sure). Maybe I just got lucky in choosing the dealer, as we chose based only on advertised units for sale within a few hundred miles, but General RV has worked with us and gotten most things fixed. Some did indeed take an extended stay with them, so be prepared for that). I pulled my towed and drove it home (about 1-1/2 hour drive) for the duration.
__________________
Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #44
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 9
THOR #13143
Thor

I bought my 2016 Thor diesel used 2 years ago and have not experienced the trouble you are having but have had my own. But I figured it out.
I was having odometer problems and like you could not get in touch with Thor or any dealer that could help. Thor builds our home on top of a freightliner chassis. I got in touch with a local Freightliner dealer/repair and OMG Iím in heaven. Not only did they repair my odometer issue but did other recall work I was not aware of at NO Charge! This Thor forum has helped me with some problems while we were on the road and had no one to call. I hope this helps.
On our way to Carmel/Big Sur.
See you down the road.
__________________
jkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:07 AM   #45
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
Posts: 45
THOR #3257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasur2 View Post
I and wife are newbies like lots of folks right now ...right?

Bought a 2021 Thor Axis, 25.6. The ....one....smart thing we've done is do a shakedown stay in the same city as we purchased it at a very nice RV park. why? Because we had to take it back twice for "problems" in the first 3 days.

Then the real problems started. Drove it across the state to home. Have had to park it 32 miles from my residence because of the rest of you needing the same.

Then my BMPro, that controls...everything.....failed. As in ...blank screen. As an 88 in the mode screen. That means failure as I've learned. That's right, in 4 days...it completely failed.

I have spent about 3 hours inside the thing by myself troubleshooting, on a chat session and multiple attempts on hold in Thor's queue trying to get help(last friday was on hold for 1hr 20min without success).

I learned through my own research what I thought all along. Its toast. Then learning it will take 3 weeks to get a new one. Which I have to pay for because I can't get thor on the line, or to respond to any emails, chat sessions, or phone call VM's (which their website claims they will do) to make a warranty claim. Yeah, yeah, I know their swamped. Is that supposed to make me feel better?

In addition, my cab AC only blows room temperature air, after a declining performance (getting warmer) drive home on its initial outing. The local Campers World told me they "don't do warranty work at this location", and from what I read, I may have to find a ford dealership because its a "chassis, not coach problem".

Lastly, my entire "chassis" (radio/multimedia) system will not turn on. As in no power. However, a USB cigarette lighter insert, shows there is power. So this means I can't run the backup or turning cameras.

I took it in for an oil change because the dealer told me they don't do that when they receive it. I also had sway bars on front and back, and a steering "helper" installed, because of its instability and to much play in the wheel.

I also had a drawer at the back come out while driving apparently. Because at the second shakedown stop, when I started putting out my slide...I heard a "pop". I stopped it, reversed it, heard another "pop", said some choice words to thor, then stopped and checked. I had to lay on the floor on my side because the amount of space was so small. The drawer had hooked on the slide mechanism and ruined the drawer. Thank god I stopped the extension or I would have ruined the slide mechanism. So now I get to convince them the drawer was in.

So, my brand new RV sits in an RV service lot, with its only use as a driveable bus....with nowhere to go. Because it's useless. The BMPro controls all systems.....everything. I think I could take it myself and sleep on the dinette bed.

Let's just say that I've been incredibly frustrated and angry the last 10 days. NOT because of its repeated problems, but because I literally can not get thro to communicate with me. I've even been to the BMPros website to see if I can break through there. I'd be willing to pay for the replacement part out of pocket. I toke it apart. All it is is a simple circuit board of course like anything nowadays, hooked to a small android tablet. Yes, I've unhooked, rehooked the power from the wall, and the tablet so many times my head is spinning.

Getting frustrated again typing. Got to take care of myself and stop. Any insights or help is much appreciated.

Welcome to the RV world right?
Are you calling this number?
(877) 855-2867

Ask for Travis
__________________
ellenov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:42 AM   #46
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,821
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsvegas View Post
We bought a "used" Vegas 24.1 in 2014, with 4,000 miles on it from the dealer. No warranty, Had many of the same problems you described, but with the help of the dealer, Thor covered cost of the serious ones. I spent countless hours fixing others myself. So, after a year of ownership, it became pretty de-bugged. I did compose a long, letter addressed to the VP of Marketing, who appeared in the promo video, about how they lie about quality and support. Thor is a nasty company in my opinion, and hasn't improved.
Interesting. You bought a used motorhome and Thor helped fix issues yet you say they lied. Thor never, ever promised you anything and they donít owe you the time of day on a used unit. They didnít make a single penny off the used sale to you.

You should be thanking Thor for giving you the assistance they did.
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:10 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
Dilley Dilley's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 106
THOR #16919
Other thinggs for Newbies to consider

A few things I’ve noticed on this Forum is that sometimes people don’t understand the process that is involved in building a Motorhome and then getting the Motorhome to the dealership.

First off, these Motorhome are being built on top of a Cab and Chassis from most likely Ford, Chevrolet, Mercedes Benz or Freightliner. The construction of each unit is really quick considering everything that could go wrong.

It seems to me that there is insufficient quality control if any going on during the process. Especially when all the different components are being attached to the unit.

Then the units are driven from the assembly plants to the dealerships around the USA by drivers. That’s the reason that when you buy a new Motorhome it may have 2000 miles on it. The mileage will depend on the proximity of the dealership to the manufacturer. I only bring this up because I see people make comments about the fact that their new unit had 1000 - 2000 miles on it so how can it be new. Unlike automobiles, Motorhome generally aren’t being transported by rail or ship, or car carrier.

Dealing with warranties takes a little finesse and you really need to figure out who is responsible for what, document and take photos of each issue and lastly try to be as cool and diplomatic as you can when you’re dealing with people. Each of us have to be our best advocate. Always remember that even though your issue is paramount to you, you’re not the only person dealing with something. Think about how you would feel if you were that person on the other end of the phone that didn’t actually cause the issue and you have someone bitching at you.
__________________
Brian Dilley
Retired Firefighter
California
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:18 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Scubawise's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Vegas 25.6
State: Montana
Posts: 178
THOR #20220
2020 thor vegas similar bmpro and radio. Download the remaster app and do a software download and will fix.. stick a pin in the radio and let it reset
__________________
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:48 AM   #49
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 9
THOR #13143
I’m probably the only one that didn’t know but there was a recall on Thor sway bar. There was a noise I could not figure out and that was the problem. They also fixed my light bar which affected my odometer that was covered by freightliner. No Charge!
__________________
jkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #50
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.6
State: Washington
Posts: 17
THOR #20407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1962 View Post
Hang in there its overwhelming sometimes . I have 2021 Axis 24.1 and I have had problems. But nothing major and I stay on the dealer and on Thor to make sure there both on same page. And I request a certain customer service person most of the time when I call. First year bank on repairs.
That would be wonderful. Problem is in about 10 attempts. I've been able to get an actual human being on the phone via Thors cust. Service line exactly once. I "only" waited about 10 minutes that time. This last time was 1hr. and 20min. ending with me hanging up. About ready to cry.
__________________
Treasur2
Treasur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:36 PM   #51
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.6
State: Washington
Posts: 17
THOR #20407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
2020 thor vegas similar bmpro and radio. Download the remaster app and do a software download and will fix.. stick a pin in the radio and let it reset
I did all those things before posting. Did not help.
__________________
Treasur2
Treasur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:24 AM   #52
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.6
State: Washington
Posts: 17
THOR #20407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
2020 thor vegas similar bmpro and radio. Download the remaster app and do a software download and will fix.. stick a pin in the radio and let it reset
they changed it for 2021. thats the problem I've discovered. I used to be in I.t. I've spents hours trying to flash the software via the downloaded instructions. To no avail.
__________________
Treasur2
Treasur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:52 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Scubawise's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Vegas 25.6
State: Montana
Posts: 178
THOR #20220
My clock on 2020 vegas does not stay set? Replace?
__________________
Montana 2020 Thor Vegas 25.6
Big Sky Country
*** You all must vacation in the open Big Blue Sky ***
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:19 AM   #54
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,371
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
My clock on 2020 vegas does not stay set? Replace?
Yes, trade it in on a 2021 Vegas.

__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:27 AM   #55
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,785
THOR #8860
You're glamping: who needs a clock for that?
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #56
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,177
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
My clock on 2020 vegas does not stay set? Replace?
Which clock? and when does it lose time?
__________________

__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bmpro, master controller.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×