Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2020, 09:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.6
State: Washington
THOR #20407
Angry The nightmares are true aren't they?

I and wife are newbies like lots of folks right now ...right?

Bought a 2021 Thor Axis, 25.6. The ....one....smart thing we've done is do a shakedown stay in the same city as we purchased it at a very nice RV park. why? Because we had to take it back twice for "problems" in the first 3 days.

Then the real problems started. Drove it across the state to home. Have had to park it 32 miles from my residence because of the rest of you needing the same.

Then my BMPro, that controls...everything.....failed. As in ...blank screen. As an 88 in the mode screen. That means failure as I've learned. That's right, in 4 days...it completely failed.

I have spent about 3 hours inside the thing by myself troubleshooting, on a chat session and multiple attempts on hold in Thor's queue trying to get help(last friday was on hold for 1hr 20min without success).

I learned through my own research what I thought all along. Its toast. Then learning it will take 3 weeks to get a new one. Which I have to pay for because I can't get thor on the line, or to respond to any emails, chat sessions, or phone call VM's (which their website claims they will do) to make a warranty claim. Yeah, yeah, I know their swamped. Is that supposed to make me feel better?

In addition, my cab AC only blows room temperature air, after a declining performance (getting warmer) drive home on its initial outing. The local Campers World told me they "don't do warranty work at this location", and from what I read, I may have to find a ford dealership because its a "chassis, not coach problem".

Lastly, my entire "chassis" (radio/multimedia) system will not turn on. As in no power. However, a USB cigarette lighter insert, shows there is power. So this means I can't run the backup or turning cameras.

I took it in for an oil change because the dealer told me they don't do that when they receive it. I also had sway bars on front and back, and a steering "helper" installed, because of its instability and to much play in the wheel.

I also had a drawer at the back come out while driving apparently. Because at the second shakedown stop, when I started putting out my slide...I heard a "pop". I stopped it, reversed it, heard another "pop", said some choice words to thor, then stopped and checked. I had to lay on the floor on my side because the amount of space was so small. The drawer had hooked on the slide mechanism and ruined the drawer. Thank god I stopped the extension or I would have ruined the slide mechanism. So now I get to convince them the drawer was in.

So, my brand new RV sits in an RV service lot, with its only use as a driveable bus....with nowhere to go. Because it's useless. The BMPro controls all systems.....everything. I think I could take it myself and sleep on the dinette bed.

Let's just say that I've been incredibly frustrated and angry the last 10 days. NOT because of its repeated problems, but because I literally can not get thro to communicate with me. I've even been to the BMPros website to see if I can break through there. I'd be willing to pay for the replacement part out of pocket. I toke it apart. All it is is a simple circuit board of course like anything nowadays, hooked to a small android tablet. Yes, I've unhooked, rehooked the power from the wall, and the tablet so many times my head is spinning.

Getting frustrated again typing. Got to take care of myself and stop. Any insights or help is much appreciated.

Welcome to the RV world right?

Old 09-06-2020, 09:47 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Flip the use/store switch.
Then
Sell it.

Make yourself happy even if you have to buy the happy with a considerable monetary loss.

Sorry you're having trouble.
According to your repair list and determinations and demeanor you're well over a year from now to having the problems corrected.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:00 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
The nightmares are true aren't they?

Your problems are certainly unfortunate and frustrating. But it’s not unusual to have such issues on a new RV. Shouldn’t be, but it is. In all probability they are not as serious as they seem to you right now. Your level of frustration however doesn’t bode well for the future. The issues can and will be resolved with patience and gentle persistence. Thor is actually pretty good about helping. But angry is not especially helpful. Ask specific questions here and you’ll get a world of help. Probably we can get you up and running again and at least started on the learning curve.

But the RV lifestyle isn’t for everyone. It looks easy, fun and like a cost effective way to travel. It’s not especially easy and it’s darned expensive. If it’s not even fun for you there’s not much left..... welcome to the best RV forum and good luck.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:00 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I feel your pain. My first six months with my Hurricane were filled with repairs. Nickle and dime stuff that I did in the driveway at home as the nearest dealer is an hour away and I couldn't justify the fuel and time to take it in. Luckily for me, my Hurricane doesn't have a central control system outside of the worthless rapid camp remote. If you stick it out, you will know all there is to know about every system in your coach and eventually all the kinks and bugs will be corrected. If not, make sure your next coach doesn't have one of those control systems and is made by someone other than Thor, Tiffins are nice, so are Winnebagos.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:14 PM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I think unless you are extremely mechanically inclined and have the patience of Job then think about what duckface said

Sorry about your issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Flip the use/store switch.
Then
Sell it.

Make yourself happy even if you have to buy the happy with a considerable monetary loss.

Sorry you're having trouble.
According to your repair list and determinations and demeanor you're well over a year from now to having the problems corrected.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
First off, welcome to the forum.

I imagine from your post that you bought this unit at a dealer that is not local to you so you first need to find a dealer willing to do warranty work on a coach they did not sell and then let them deal with Thor in getting the coach repaired.

You also need to read your warranty and familiarize yourself with how the warranty process works.

Not sure why you think you have to pay for warranty work on a 2021 unit unless you broke the system through misuse or neglect.

A break-in oil change is not required and the dealer is not required to change the oil before sale so that is on you and at your expense if you decide that is what you want.

Enjoy
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:15 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm sorry to hear that you're having so many problems. [U]
But hang in there: it will prove to be worth the effort!
And Welcome to the best RV Forum in this Universe!
Old 09-06-2020, 11:17 PM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
THOR #16693
Sorry you're getting it hard and fast...my first week was bad, but yours sound downright brutal!

Have had ours exactly one year, have fixed a LOT of stuff, has been back to the factory once, and is scheduled in again in a couple months.

Guess what I've been doing this wonderful Labor Day weekend...it's sitting in the driveway and I'm fixing stuff I kind of enjoy the challenge, and taking it back apart so I can make it right, but find so many things that, if someone putting it together just cared the slightest bit, it wouldn't be a problem and I'd be out camping.
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:00 AM   #9

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Treasur2

Sorry to hear about the many issues you are having with the 2021 model. It is not uncommon for any motor home to have issues when brand new. When we bought a brand new Class B Winnebago in 2015(2016 Winnebago ERA), it had major issues from day one. My dealership was no help as well as Winnebago on a few issues. It spent the first 9 months at the dealership and took another 6 months of me doing the work to get it reliable on the road where we trusted travelling in it. We went with Winnebago because of their name in the industry. We traded it in March 2018 for our current Thor Siesta 24SS Class C for more room and technology. We had very few issues with it plus the dealership we are using is top notch as compared to the first dealership we had for the Winnebago(which was also a very large dealership). The key is finding a dealership that you trust. You need to be patient but not to the point of letting them forget about you. Thor has been very responsive to me while we were under warranty and gladly shipped out any defective parts directly to me if I wanted to do the labor at no cost to me.

Good luck and don't give up. We at the forum are here to help.

Paul
Old 09-07-2020, 03:51 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Welcome, this is actually quite simple to me but first; what did you mean by this statement "Have had to park it 32 miles from my residence because of the rest of you needing the same." ?

What I would d if I were you in order.

1. Stop being angry (you need someone else (Thor /Dealers) to help you so smile, you will get better help from Thor or others you need to deal with)
2. Do not be frustrated. The fact that may be able to pay for parts out of pocket is not the point; don't pay repairs out of pocket, allow the warranty process to play out. But you will pay otherwise so pay for what is needed and don't complain.
3. Make a list of everything that is wrong. Drop the editorials on the list, just simple list of issues and defects.
4. Call your dealers and tell them what you have, asking when you can bring it in to get these items fixed.
5. I know it is cross state, but your money is best spent to get it back there. Be prepared to leave it and and go home. (don't be mad... )
6. When they call you and say it is ready, confirm all of the items on your list before going back. Schedule the pick up where you can stay another night or two in that RV park that you like so well.
7. Drive you brand new 2021 Thor home in peace. If your coach was new, I don't follow why the need for oil change?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #13710
We have a Vegas 24.1 with a Bmpro system and so it's been OK. We put the coach in the shop for house battery failure and dash a/c not working. We have the Ford V8 as you probably do on your 25.1. Our dealer replaced the batteries and is working on the A/C. Nobody said anything about it being a Ford problem, it may be but I haven't heard that yet. We like the coach for it's size and we don't have to extend the slide to get to the bedroom. We had a hurricane 35M and fixed most small issues ourselves or had our mechanic do the work. It was easier than pulling teeth with the dealer. No you shouldn't have to do that, but sometimes you pick your battles. As Ducksface says, sell it and take your loss or work through the issues as they pop up. It's a motorhome and they break.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
I have been preaching for 11 years now, "Never drive a coach off the dealer's lot until you have camped in it for at least 24 hours; preferably 48 hours." There are plenty of dealers that have delivery barns just for that purpose. NIRVC is the model for all dealers. Anything less and you should look for different RV dealer even if means traveling 1,000 miles or more. Record the delivery tech's PDI in detail (don't trust a salesman to know your coach) and refer to it before complaining to the dealer. Consider another dealer, mobile tech or RV repair facility rather than going back to the selling dealer. Thor MC will reimburse you, if under warranty and if you follow their procedures. Good news most dealer try to keep there customers happy, but few small dealers pay enough to keep the outstanding RV technicians.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:26 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #13710
Just got a call from the dealer that the A/C is fixed. New batteries, A/C working, life is good. We're waiting for the table between the driver and passenger seats and we're happy. If someone is telling you to go to Ford, that is BS, they can fix it or call a tech who can. Be prepared to leave the coach at the dealer longer than is reasonable and call them and make yourself a pain. I've dealt with our dealer before and know the drill. The price makes them almost tolerable. They usually get there eventually. If it's likely to be a big dollar amount we are prepared to leave it as long as it takes. They really don't want your coach taking up space in their repair space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris92223 View Post
We have a Vegas 24.1 with a Bmpro system and so it's been OK. We put the coach in the shop for house battery failure and dash a/c not working. We have the Ford V8 as you probably do on your 25.1. Our dealer replaced the batteries and is working on the A/C. Nobody said anything about it being a Ford problem, it may be but I haven't heard that yet. We like the coach for it's size and we don't have to extend the slide to get to the bedroom. We had a hurricane 35M and fixed most small issues ourselves or had our mechanic do the work. It was easier than pulling teeth with the dealer. No you shouldn't have to do that, but sometimes you pick your battles. As Ducksface says, sell it and take your loss or work through the issues as they pop up. It's a motorhome and they break.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #14

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #10883
The radio system has a seperate in line 10 amp fuse. Mine is marked radio, red fuse holder. Mine is in with the house batteries
Old 09-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #15

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #10883
How well did the suspension mods do for handling issues? Who installed them for you?
Old 09-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #16

THOR #20407
Thumbs up Resigned to reality....LOL

Yes, I've calmed down now. But am still ......well. You know.

First, I want to truly thank all of you who responded with some empathy and understanding. (reminds me of sales training I got 30+ yrs. ago.)

Let me answer some questions because so many were kind enough to ask.

First however, let me be very upfront. I'm a white-collar guy with very little mechanical know-how or inclination. I consider myself mature in regards to
1. knowing it.
2. Admitting it.
3. Owning it
4. Most importantly, not trying to take something on, that I'm likly to make worse. its already saved me several times.

I park 32 miles from home because all the storage facilities closer are full. To me, this is just another reality of the crush of new RVers like me.

The reason I may pay for a new BMPro, is because...

1. I purchased from CampersWorld (no comments please...please remember I'm a rookie)

2. The Campers World thats closest to me does NOT sell new RV's. Its just a store and repair location. Thus they told me (yes with an appointment of 2 weeks in the future) that they do NOT do "warranty work at this location".

3. They have quoted me a price of about $250, and I don't have to pay for it until its installed. So I realized that if I got that issue, resolved before then some other way. I could cancel that installation at no cost to me. If I did need it installed by them, that was a small price to pay to be able to get on the road. They told me the part itself would take 3 weeks to get (that does not sound like a california warehouse)

I truly do appreciate ALL the feedback. It helps me get square with reality. The decision to purchase a new one...........LOL.......was driven primarily by my wife who wanted to avoid the "risk" of buying anything "used". LOLLLLLLLLL

I was NOT worried about buying one with the low miles I saw on so many.
See, again, my nativity was comparing car buying to RV buying. Nope.

Yes, we have discussed selling it out right and yes taking the big hit.

Fortunatly and with umility, we can afford it. But, it would be verrry hard to throw away those dolllars.

In closing. What I've come to accept is. once again my short temper does not serve me well. (I'm in the 30th year of tyring to remember that.)

The insanely simple reality is. This is another example of the consequences of covid 19. In this case its turning a particular industry on its head, through no fault of their own, bacasue of the explosion of people exactly like me.

I need to treat them with the understanding you are all treaing me with and just roll/work with it.

Again, thanks guys. I appreciate it....really.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #17

THOR #20407
I don't know. I haven't driven it yet. Campers World did the install (I hope).
Old 09-12-2020, 07:25 PM   #18

THOR #20407
Thank you. THAT could turn on to be veeeery helpful. We will see. Again, its still parked at/on Campers Worlds lot. (no advantage to go get it until I have the BMPro issued resolved.)
Old 09-12-2020, 07:33 PM   #19

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
So sorry to hear of your problems as with every one on this form we've had our fair share but all in all it works out. I can tell you from personal experience from my Axis having different problems that this forum and the family of people here will help you with any problems you have. Even Thor has been very good still don't keep you from getting mad but really it does work out.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:34 PM   #20

THOR #20407
Thumbs up Resigned to reality....LOL

Yes, I've calmed down now. But am still ......well. You know.

First, I want to truly thank all of you who responded with some empathy and understanding. (reminds me of sales training I got 30+ yrs. ago.)

Let me answer some questions because so many were kind enough to ask.

First however, let me be very upfront. I'm a white-collar guy with very little mechanical know-how or inclination. I consider myself mature in regards to
1. knowing it.
2. Admitting it.
3. Owning it
4. Most importantly, not trying to take something on, that I'm likly to make worse. its already saved me several times.

I park 32 miles from home because all the storage facilities closer are full. To me, this is just another reality of the crush of new RVers like me.

The reason I may pay for a new BMPro, is because...

1. I purchased from CampersWorld (no comments please...please remember I'm a rookie)

2. The Campers World thats closest to me does NOT sell new RV's. Its just a store and repair location. Thus they told me (yes with an appointment of 2 weeks in the future) that they do NOT do "warranty work at this location".

3. They have quoted me a price of about $250, and I don't have to pay for it until its installed. So I realized that if I got that issue, resolved before then some other way. I could cancel that installation at no cost to me. If I did need it installed by them, that was a small price to pay to be able to get on the road. They told me the part itself would take 3 weeks to get (that does not sound like a california warehouse)

I truly do appreciate ALL the feedback. It helps me get square with reality. The decision to purchase a new one...........LOL.......was driven primarily by my wife who wanted to avoid the "risk" of buying anything "used". LOLLLLLLLLL

I was NOT worried about buying one with the low miles I saw on so many.
See, again, my nativity was comparing car buying to RV buying. Nope.

Yes, we have discussed selling it out right and yes taking the big hit.

Fortunatly and with umility, we can afford it. But, it would be verrry hard to throw away those dolllars.

In closing. What I've come to accept is. once again my short temper does not serve me well. (I'm in the 30th year of tyring to remember that.)

The insanely simple reality is. This is another example of the consequences of covid 19. In this case its turning a particular industry on its head, through no fault of their own, bacasue of the explosion of people exactly like me.

I need to treat them with the understanding you are all treaing me with and just roll/work with it.

Again, thanks guys. I appreciate it....really.

Tags
bmpro, master controller.