Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2020, 01:50 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum KM24
State: Arizona
THOR #20514
Why does generator keep trying to start

Hi, Bought a new Thor Quantum km24. The LP generator keeps trying to start, which we do not want to occur. This even happens when the house batteries are disconnected. I assume there is an AGS (automatic generator starter) somewhere, but do not know where that is or how to disable it. I am sure the generator starter will wear out soon.

Old 09-14-2020, 02:39 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm-az View Post
Hi, Bought a new Thor Quantum km24. The LP generator keeps trying to start, which we do not want to occur. This even happens when the house batteries are disconnected. I assume there is an AGS (automatic generator starter) somewhere, but do not know where that is or how to disable it. I am sure the generator starter will wear out soon.
How do you start it when you want it to start?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:45 AM   #3

THOR #20514
If I wanted to start it I would prime it then press the start button. Have not had a need to use the generator yet, just want to stop it from automatically trying to start
Old 09-14-2020, 03:47 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Welcome to the forum.

Call Thor and ask them how to access the AGS settings.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:07 AM   #5

THOR #13058
Quote:
If I wanted to start it I would prime it then press the start button. Have not had a need to use the generator yet, just want to stop it from automatically trying to start
You stated you didn't know if you had AGS, so if you did; it may be part of, or near the manual start/prime remote in the coach? That is if you had one. Do you have electronic pad on the wall, i.e firefly or anything like that?

It may be best you simply confirm with Thor, but if you can manually start it and starts and runs that is one positive step, but what if you try to manually start it and it does the same thing as you are hearing now?

If you had a AGS and it was trying to start it, why would it NOT start for AGS, but when the manual button is pushed it would start? I could see having AGS and it set for some trigger to automatically start; but you are saying it is NOT actually starting but trying What if the manual remote button does the same thing and not actually start?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum!
Don't worry about wearing out the generator: it can take it!
But do call Thor, and have them help you figure out why this is happening.
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
It could also be a wiring issue on the generator(loose wire). I would call Thor first and then go from that point.

Paul
Old 09-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Why "assume". Find out if you have one and how to use it. You should have received a large package of manuals for each appliance in your RV, if you have AGS there should be a manual for it.

If you don't have AGS then you have bigger problems. Maybe a drive back to the dealer may be the quickest way to determine what you have.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:57 PM   #9

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
Check Multiplex

Quote:
On my 2019 Thor Vegas, the AGS option is on the generator screen on Lippert One control display.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #10

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Side issue, if you are running on propane, no need to prime, as the propane is under pressure.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:37 PM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Welcome to the forum!
Don't worry about wearing out the generator: it can take it!
But do call Thor, and have them help you figure out why this is happening.
Good luck!
You know this point was something I have gladly overcome after owning my RV. When you rent them, they drill you on the 4 hours per day limit etc. Some charged crazy hourly fees for running the generator, but I have learned the more you run it the better it performs.

I changed the oil in mine over the weekend, it was the 1st change so it was ready for it. But I am gonna let my generator run at every opportunity. Occasionally, even when at home with Shore power is available.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:14 PM   #12

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
My house generator had a feature to auto start for exercising or if the battery was low. Must be in the settings, are your batteries low? Only a guess.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:50 PM   #13

THOR #20514
Well brought motorhome to dealer, starter on generator was toast due to a loose negative cable that kept trying to start the generator. All under warranty, Cummings (Onan manufacturer) installed a new starter for the generator, hooked it all up good, I am ready for my next adventure
Old 09-19-2020, 09:33 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Well brought motorhome to dealer, starter on generator was toast due to a loose negative cable that kept trying to start the generator. All under warranty, Cummings (Onan manufacturer) installed a new starter for the generator, hooked it all up good, I am ready for my next adventure
Liked "All under warranty, Cummings (Onan manufacturer) installed a new starter for the generator,"

I would love to hear similar stories when the ESP aka insurance plans pay for something relevant that was not otherwise already covered. When they do pay up, there are all of those deductibles that are on top of the $5k - $7k investment already made. Or if you are in situation where you have financed regardless of circumstance.

To OP:
You never said if you have AGS or not?
Old 09-20-2020, 10:05 PM   #15

Model: 2017 Quantum
THOR #9015
Thoughts

We also have a (2017) Quantum KM24. I do not have any troubleshooting to offer, just misc feedback.

If our Quantum a AGS I am certainty not aware of it. We did not get any manual regarding AGS. It was also not listed in our components list from Thor.

I find it interesting that your generator will start without battery power. I just upgraded to Lithium Ion batteries and when I removed the batteries the generator would not start until I got the new batteries installed. I believe it started OK on shore power even without batteries installed.

Were told by a Tech to always prime our propane powered generator. It seems to have trouble firing up if I do not prime it first. We push our rocker switch down until a LED lights up meaning it is primed. Then we push the switch up to start and it always fires right up. Cummings recommends running the gen at least 4 hours a month for our module. I do not worry about running it too much except that the maintenance schedule comes around faster.

I am with those who suggest calling Thor first and then get it in to a repair facility if you cannot solve it on your own.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:05 PM   #16

State: Colorado
THOR #11274
I had same problem
I found the wire harness had drop Down
And rub on drive shaft
Start wire was getting power from step wire
Old 09-20-2020, 11:41 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M_MURPHYS View Post
We also have a (2017) Quantum KM24. I do not have any troubleshooting to offer, just misc feedback.

If our Quantum a AGS I am certainty not aware of it. We did not get any manual regarding AGS. It was also not listed in our components list from Thor.

I find it interesting that your generator will start without battery power. I just upgraded to Lithium Ion batteries and when I removed the batteries the generator would not start until I got the new batteries installed. I believe it started OK on shore power even without batteries installed.

Were told by a Tech to always prime our propane powered generator. It seems to have trouble firing up if I do not prime it first. We push our rocker switch down until a LED lights up meaning it is primed. Then we push the switch up to start and it always fires right up. Cummings recommends running the gen at least 4 hours a month for our module. I do not worry about running it too much except that the maintenance schedule comes around faster.

I am with those who suggest calling Thor first and then get it in to a repair facility if you cannot solve it on your own.
It has been 3 years so I assume if you had AGS you would know by now? Sounds like if you did have AGS and assuming the Tech was right, you would need Automatic Primer to process before the Automatic Generator I say that because if true automatic start would NOT work if it required a manual prime before starting? It would have to know to prime 1st and then try to start?

The fact that you have Propane Generator makes me suspicious in several areas because the propane is under pressure unlike the gas until you get the gas flow established. I have yet to ever prime, but I have gas and AGS. My genset runs regularly even when I don't need it i.e at home with shore power; I may disconnect power and watch a 4 hour football game with genset running and both ACs.

If I were you, I would called Thor to confirm if AGS is on the coach, if it is; have them send you the AGS manual. While you talking to them ask them about the prime button? Since it is there it must need to be used or could it be that you actually have gas generator? I can't see what or how the primer primes with propane That's why I say if that primer button makes it works, it just may be gas?