Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #6655
NYC - New to RVing and Seriously considering 2015 Thor Axis 24.1

Thanks everyone. I have been sifting through all of the very helpful post. This is great Forum!
I was wondering if there are any thoughts about this particular sale and dealership and any other words of wisdom before I go for a test drive.
2015 Thor Axis 24.1 with 11,543 Miles

2015 Thor Axis 24.1 - Camping World - HAR1329243

Old 03-02-2017, 11:38 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I would look on RV trader to check prices first, it will give you a better idea of what a good price is.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:05 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Just for your reference, I got $52,000 trade in for my 2014 Vegas with 25,000 miles on it just a year ago. The trade in was on a new 2016 Axis for $69.9K. So they are probably still making about $5k on the deal or more depending on what they allowed in trade. When I looked at the possibility of selling mine myself, two year Axis/Vegas were listed in the high 50s. If it's in good shape and they will offer you at least some kind of warantee (90 days), around $55k would seem like a fair price. SuperD's recommendation to look at RV Trader is a good one. If you like it and you can't find any much cheaper in the internet, an offer in the low to mid-50s might get you to $55k.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:10 AM   #4

THOR #1765
One other thing, if you are new to RVs, it would be a real good idea to take some one knowledgeable with you to check it out - even if you have to pay them. Also download Ed's manual - https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
It will be a world of help in checking the unit out before you put down the final payment. The closer and more thoroughly you go over it, the happier you will be in the long (and short) run. Also, have them fix everything to your satisfaction, before you drive it off the lot.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:15 AM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeflea View Post
Thanks everyone. I have been sifting through all of the very helpful post. This is great Forum!
I was wondering if there are any thoughts about this particular sale and dealership and any other words of wisdom before I go for a test drive.
2015 Thor Axis 24.1 with 11,543 Miles

2015 Thor Axis 24.1 - Camping World - HAR1329243
Now that I've been around the issue for over a year in earnest, the first two thoughts I would have is to be aware of the fact that it is on a E350 chassis instead of the heavier E450 and it has the taller windshield that several on the forum have complained about because of stress cracking.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:18 AM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #1592
I have a 2015 axis 24.1.I love it.I paid 72000.00 for it new,so I would think that the price they are asking is reasonable.One thing to note is tHe floor plan they show on the website is a 2016 axis with the dual bathroom doors.The photos show the single large bathroom door,you can tell by the angled slide piece mounted on the ceiling.It also says it has an oven,,and three burner stove.It actually does not have an oven,it has a microwave with a convection oven combo unit and a four burner stove.Check to see if it has the upgraded air conditioning unit.They have 2 sizes 13000 and 15000.The floor plan shown also shows the 32 inch tv in the bedroom but it is actually 28 inches.The exterior tv on the 2015 is 32 inch.All in all I think you would be happy with the purchase but I would take along an experienced rv owner with you to look at it.You would still be under the Ford warranty for the chassis but the Thor warranty period is over. Good luck with your purchase and check the forums for just about anything you might need to know.There are a lot of things on motor homes that are easy enough to repair yourself if you have some knowledge of the rv systems.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:22 AM   #7

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Now that I've been around the issue for over a year in earnest, the first two thoughts I would have is to be aware of the fact that it is on a E350 chassis instead of the heavier E450 and it has the taller windshield that several on the forum have complained about because of stress cracking.
You're right axis earl and those were two big reasons why I traded my Vegas in for a 2016 E-450, 6spd transmission Axis. That and the new double doors in the bathroom and curved shower curtain. To be honest, I have been much happier with the 2016 than the 2014. Some of that was the much better QC on the 2016. I have not seen any window cracking issues lately on the forum. I wonder if that was a Thor installation issue that has worked itself out? But it is a negative.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:50 AM   #8

State: Michigan
THOR #6632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
You're right axis earl and those were two big reasons why I traded my Vegas in for a 2016 E-450, 6spd transmission Axis. That and the new double doors in the bathroom and curved shower curtain. To be honest, I have been much happier with the 2016 than the 2014. Some of that was the much better QC on the 2016. I have not seen any window cracking issues lately on the forum. I wonder if that was a Thor installation issue that has worked itself out? But it is a negative.
I am trying to decide between 2015 24.1 and 2017 24.1 new. It is a hefty difference in price but I am still considering it for the exact same reasons you listed. Could you please let me know what you like better with E450? I assume one extra gear would make it quieter on highway and gives better mileage. That would be a good thing. But it alone would not be enough to go for the extra money. Since I will be the only one driving, I would like to have less tiring driving experience. But does E450 have better ride quality? I mean less wobbling, more steady ride?

Thank you..
Old 03-03-2017, 02:15 AM   #9

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose44 View Post
I am trying to decide between 2015 24.1 and 2017 24.1 new. It is a hefty difference in price but I am still considering it for the exact same reasons you listed. Could you please let me know what you like better with E450? I assume one extra gear would make it quieter on highway and gives better mileage. That would be a good thing. But it alone would not be enough to go for the extra money. Since I will be the only one driving, I would like to have less tiring driving experience. But does E450 have better ride quality? I mean less wobbling, more steady ride?

Thank you..
I drove my 2014 Vegas E350 25,000 miles including a four month trip from Florida to Alaska and back and from Florida to Nova Scotia. I have put 10,000 miles on my 2016 Axis including a two month trip to Colorado and return. I am the only one who drives the RV. I have done no modifications to the chassis on either RV, but I did get a good alignment on both soon after purchase. I have driven them thru snow storms in Yellowstone and the Canadian Rockies and dirt highways in Alaska such as the "Top of the World" highway from Chicken to Dawson City. I honestly do not feel as if the E450 drives much differently than the E350. Both are relatively easy to drive, responsive and I have always felt in control no matter what the conditions. That being said, the 6 spd transmission in the E450 is a major improvement for me. It is much quieter, shifts less often and without the high reving of the E350. Gas mileage is also about 10% better in my experience. The other big advantage is that my E-350 always weighed in at about its max 13,500 lbs. The E-450 weighs in the same 13,500, but it is rated at 15,500. I did not feel like the E-350 was overweight, but I am more comfortable with the 2000 lb cushion in the E450. For my wife, the bathroom addition (new doors, better shower) and the blond wood interior, new counter tops and new flooring were major additions. She likes the inside a lot better and it's good to keep the better half happy. We have been very pleased with our two 24.1s after living in them for 2-4 months at a time on multiple trips. We are planning another two month trip to Maine and Canada this summer. Back to Alaska is a real possibility next year.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:21 AM   #10

THOR #6632
Thank you.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:36 AM   #11

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose44 View Post
Thank you.
Your welcome, good luck in your search. When I bought my second RV about seven years ago, I had a top price in my head that I did not want to exceed. When the RV that we really wanted to purchase ended up $5k more than that price, we backed off and decided to purchase a cheaper unit that did not meet our needs as well as the first one. The salesman (who we had talked to multiple times and was really good) looked at us and asked if it was really worth it to buy something that we would not really be happy with to save $5k. We thought about it for a week and decided that he was right and we purchased the more expensive unit. He was so right. We loved the RV and have bought two more since. If we had purchased the cheaper one, I am convinced that we would not have enjoyed RVing half as much and missed so much. Food for thought.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #12

THOR #5196
I absolutely second everything Oneikeys said!!! Great advice!!!
Old 03-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #13

State: New York
THOR #6655
Thank you for all the advice it will be put to good use. This forum is awesome! So many active users it makes me more inclined to buy a Thor
I am bringing my husband who is a mechanic and I had a little experience from traveling in friend's motorhome many years ago, but never owned my own.
I am wondering about how folks get along without towing a vehicle using the 24.1 or similar. I am hoping to not tow. Also wondering about brining along large items like bikes and kayaks and the racks for them. Thanks again!!!
Old 03-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #14

THOR #1765
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f5/...pots-5874.html
Look at this link for previous discussions on to tow or not.

You can also use the search function at the top of the page to search for topics that may have been previously discussed. Lots of good info.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #15

THOR #1765
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f3/...ving-3470.html

This is another thread on to tow or not from last March.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #16

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Purchase

ONeilkeys made some absolutely great comments about saving money and regretting it. The biggest issue to me is being happy with what you end up with including living arrangements and driving characteristics. I have not driven the miles that he has but we made a trip from SoCal to Yellowstone last year, driving back through Montana. It was an enjoyable experience with no problems except for a star burst hit to the middle of the windshield. The taller size of the older windshield is a bit of a concern to me since these windshields are huge anyway when it comes to replacement costs. Don't get me wrong, I like the panoramic look of these styles of windshields vs. the "cave look" of a Class C, just something to consider. We did have the star burst hit epoxy repaired in West Yellowstone before we headed south..... Make an informed choice and get out on the road while you can!
Old 03-03-2017, 03:52 PM   #17

THOR #1765
As to your question on bikes and kayaks and such, the best advice I can give is the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid. I have been camping out in sailboats and RVs for 25 years and I have found that the less you take, the happier you are. That does not mean don't take them. It means, do you really need them, are you really going to use them? I carried two kayaks on the deck of my 36' sailboat to the Bahamas for three years until I realized that I would fall over them multiple times a day so I could use them 2-3 times a trip. I was much happier without them. Start out with less and add as you gain experience. You will enjoy RVing a lot more.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #18

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
ONeilkeys made some absolutely great comments about saving money and regretting it. The biggest issue to me is being happy with what you end up with including living arrangements and driving characteristics. I have not driven the miles that he has but we made a trip from SoCal to Yellowstone last year, driving back through Montana. It was an enjoyable experience with no problems except for a star burst hit to the middle of the windshield. The taller size of the older windshield is a bit of a concern to me since these windshields are huge anyway when it comes to replacement costs. Don't get me wrong, I like the panoramic look of these styles of windshields vs. the "cave look" of a Class C, just something to consider. We did have the star burst hit epoxy repaired in West Yellowstone before we headed south..... Make an informed choice and get out on the road while you can!
You're right on the big windshield. I have had both and there is absolutely no difference from inside the coach. The larger one was a huge mistake for no reason. I costs something like $3000 to replace and it is so difficult to install that it is hard to find someone who will do it. I am much more comfortable with the smaller windshield and I think it actually looks better. That would be a big negative on buying a 2015 over a new one. Not as much of an issue in Florida because the insurance company has to replace it with no deductable, but not true in all states. And I know if I have to have it done, my rates are going to go up.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeflea
I am wondering about how folks get along without towing a vehicle using the 24.1 or similar. I am hoping to not tow. Also wondering about brining along large items like bikes and kayaks and the racks for them. Thanks again!!!
Mentioned this in another thread recently asking the same question: Browse around this website for a little bit to get some perspective on a toad or not: http://48in366.com/ She took an Axis all around the country last year with only her and a dog (no toad).

For myself: For the first year we had the Axis we simply rented when we needed to (once). Now we have a dolly and bring along one of our cars but only because it fits with the type of camping/sightseeing we do (frequently camp outside a city and drive in to see stuff).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #20

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeflea View Post
Thank you for all the advice it will be put to good use. This forum is awesome! So many active users it makes me more inclined to buy a Thor
I am bringing my husband who is a mechanic and I had a little experience from traveling in friend's motorhome many years ago, but never owned my own.
With a smaller MH like the Axis you can go a lot of places larger coaches just can't go. Several times I have rented cars after arriving in an area, just depends.

There are lots of racks available to carry just about anything you need, IF you really need it and use it. I used to carry bicycles, PIA to load and unload, rarely used them, quit taking them!